Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: First time preordering a game. Never regretted it more

by MrSandman777

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Hydronics wrote:
Clearly you dont know the first thing about game development, what kind of systems it takes to support a game like this, and all the tons of work behind the scenes that you dont see.

I dont pretend to know all that, but having been an IT professional that has worked closely with developers for over 8 years now I can tell you that developers arent a 'stupid' bunch.

Sounds like you need to put the game down and do something else for a while, come back to Anthem once its had a few more updates and see if your opinion changes.

Well duh, clearly i don't, and I never claimed to know.

What I DO know is, as a customer, if I spent a full asking price on a product (even a bit more, actually, since i actually paid more for the preorder), and what i get is an unfinished, broken product, then I am totally justified in complaining about it. No matter if there's "a lot behind the scene i don't know about". That reason won't fly for any other product. Why should it fly for a game?

That said, as i have said in my previous replies, i will try to be more understanding, and hope the devs will sort out all the early day woes soon 

Message 21 of 26 (54 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@cannyjack wrote:

He doesn't have to know the first thing about it. It doesn't matter how hard game development is, it's BioWare's job to do it right. The first lesson is "you have to show your work AND get the right answer."

That's what they get paid to do. 

This.

Message 22 of 26 (53 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

@ReverseLegSweep wrote:

@MrSandman777 wrote:

"First time preordering a game. Never regretted it more."

That's actually the most accurate statement ever as you wouldn't have regretted preordering another game more seeing as how it's your first time preordering.

Boy am I glad I'm not the only person who's brain leapt to this. Tongue out

On a more serious note, though, I think there's genuine frustrations here and hope the game does improve for the OP. Thumbs up

Yeah I can honestly say that compared to other games I've played when they first launched that are similar (Destiny and Warframe), Anthem has kept me engaged way longer in these first 50-100 hours. I seriously uninstalled Warframe within a week (it's currently back on my hard drive in its current state), and Destiny just felt too much like Halo with none of the personality (again another game I have now poured countless hours into... not so much the sequel though.

I'm loving how the devs are being open and all content, outside of some cosmetics, is slated to be free which should keep me engaged even longer as they improve on things. However, right out the gate, I believe Bioware shot themselves in the foot in a lot of ways. I compare it to the early life of the Xbox One including the time directly prior to launch. Where Microsoft dropped the ball early on but finished strong, albeit behind its competitor. Had the Xbox One X launched as it is right now when the console generation first took off (even against the PS4 pro) Sony would've been in trouble

Message 23 of 26 (48 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@MrSandman777Funnily enough, I'm in a similar position. Could not connect with Destiny whatsoever, and yet Anthem has become my new favourite thing to do. I'm sure a little of it is a subconscious brand loyalty to BW, but considering how terrified I was of how it was going to be I think I'm in a really good place with it. Looking forward to more content.

Message 24 of 26 (41 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@ReverseLegSweep wrote:

@MrSandman777Funnily enough, I'm in a similar position. Could not connect with Destiny whatsoever, and yet Anthem has become my new favourite thing to do. I'm sure a little of it is a subconscious brand loyalty to BW, but considering how terrified I was of how it was going to be I think I'm in a really good place with it. Looking forward to more content.

Yeah the things they got right that are uniquely Bioware is what got me hooked. That and the addictive combat. I've poured about a good hour into the codex alone. Lol

There's so much potential there 

Message 25 of 26 (35 Views)

★★★★ Novice

4th day in a row with so many connection errors, that I was able to play I would say 4 hours. From Saturday. I tried this morning, after work and now during evening. Nothing. Just connection errors.

Message 26 of 26 (29 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help