Re: Feedback for the older scoreboard

by Provin915

Original Post

★★★ Guide

@Albake21z wrote:

@DAYLEET wrote

We don't need a scoreboard to know how well we're doing in a match, never did. The people who claim that "it is to protect peoples feeling" are disingenuous. When was the last time you saw the scoreboard being used in a useful way? It's always to try and pretend one has done good when everything went to hell. Your statement "If someone is racking in 75+ kills, you better believe that team has a much higher chance at winning" is false. Most of the time, people with high kills aren't doing anything useful, they camp somewhere and either deprive their team of a player or a vehicle and their winrate wasn't better in previous bf so why would it be now. It encourages people to not teamplay.

It is my hope that by removing the scoreboard we will avoid the people who don't PTFO, the people who CHEAT for the exposure, attention and the drama and the soloist that isn't supporting in any ways. I was as shocked as everyone else when i saw no classic scoreboard in Rising Storm2, which is basically conquest and breakthrough gone realistic hardcore but in the end i realized i didn't need it. The scoreboard is self-serving in a negative way, it can only encourage people to ignore what battlefield is about, capturing objective, support your teammate and win and you don't need a board for that. If you need a scoreboard you have to ask yourself why and how it helps you. 

That said. DICE need to greatly expand(finish) the XP scoring system. If teamplay mechanics contributes to win a game then they should be rewarded with XP. 

Without a scoreboard, how am I supposed to know if what I'm doing is good? How do I know if my current loadout is helping out the team? If I have nothing to compare my score to, how do I know if I did anything for the greater good of my team? If I'm running an LMG infantry loadout and I see that my score is very low compared to either team, I can change things up to see what will help. If I can't compare my score to anything, it's mindless. Without stats there's no point or motivation to improve and get better in the game.

You completely glossed over my reasoning for solo kill hungry players.... Let's give an example. Let's say the game starts with 1000 tickets. If someone ends the game with a whopping 100 kills, they just took off 10% of the enemies' tickets all by themselves. Is that not helping the team in the overall match? That's 10% by one player in a 64 to 128 player server. Are they not a team player now? Did their 10% mean nothing to you? Battlefield is a sandbox experience. It allows everyone to play how they want to play. Although it may be a selfish way to play, it's still going towards the greater good of the team. It's just one of many ways to remove the enemy tickets.

I'll add this one more time because it's very clear our freedom of choice is becoming more and more silenced. Silencing people does not help toxicity. Our history as humans has proved this wrong for hundreds of years. Don't like Voip? Mute or turn it off in the menu. Don't want to see the scoreboard? Don't use it... would be nice for DICE to allow both options though. Don't want all chat? Click one single button and it hides away. Give player options, don't just remove * because you feel empowered in doing so.

Actually to your example, if they did 100 kills and didn't cap any flags, no they are not really helping that much.  I have seen many of times people playing for their KD only to get squashed because of ticket bleed.  This is how BF promotes teamwork and PTFO, you can do whatever you want for your K/D but if you are not playing the objective and helping the team, you are not going to win.

You don't need a scoreboard to see how well the team is doing.  In rush you can't defend or blow up the MCOM its obvious you are not doing good.  Conquest, enemy has all the areas, your not doing so good.  Don't need a scoreboard to figure that one out.

Message 11 of 18 (194 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@DAYLEET wrote:

@Albake21z wrote:

"Without a scoreboard, how am I supposed to know if what I'm doing is good? How do I know if my cur"

The scoreboard can't tell you if you are doing good or bad because it can't differentiate scores from everyone on your team based on where they are and what they do. It can tell you if your team is losing or winning but you won't find a magic answer on a scoreboard. The scoreboard also can't tell you what YOU need to do. You need to look around you and identify the needs lacking if any. Thats usually having more flags than your enemy and when you do stop everything and defend where you are or relocate to a deserted flag you own. The biggest mistakes teams make is not strengthening their advantages and instead tries to get more. Never be where the whole team is.

"If I'm running an LMG infantry loadout and I see that my score is very low compared to either team, I can change things up to see what will help. If I can't compare my score to anything, it's mindless. Without stats there's no point or motivation to improve and get better in the game."

No. The scoreboard can tell you that you have been slacking or unlucky but you knew that already if that was the case and it can't tell you why. Running lmg infantry loadout isnt a class anymore, thank god. I am a gunner at heart and now i can switch my long range attachment to my close range whenever i want. Before this, in previous battlefields, wielding a m240 vs a m60 pretty much locked my role to either run n gun or deployed and suppress. Just use the gun that works for you and dont try to force meta on yourself. Your motivation is to win by any mean necessary. That is to get more flag. Then you fight to keep them. If you need to switch to medic for fast revive with ammo crate, its not the scoreboard thats gona tell you. If this isnt working you have to ask yourself, what were you trying to do and why it didnt work. Don't look at your score... you know if things aren't going well for you or your team. War is chaotic, no single soldier has the key to victory, accept that you can't control it and that you will lose even if you did everything how it was supposed to.

"If I can't compare my score to anything, it's mindless. Without stats there's no point or motivation to improve and get better in the game."

Your motivation is to win by any mean necessary. That is to get more flag. Then you fight to keep them.

"You completely glossed over my reasoning for solo kill hungry players.... Let's give an example. Let's say the game starts with 1000 tickets. If someone ends the game with a whopping 100 kills, they just took off 10% of the enemies' tickets all by themselves. Is that not helping the team in the overall match? That's 10% by one player in a 64 to 128 player server. Are they not a team player now? Did their 10% mean nothing to you? Battlefield is a sandbox experience. It allows everyone to play how they want to play. Although it may be a selfish way to play, it's still going towards the greater good of the team. It's just one of many ways to remove the enemy tickets."

No. Revive negate ticket loss and flags have always been the quick road to victory. My experience in Battlefield3_4 with high count player kills have always been from people in vehicle abusing some way of playing that doesn't serve the team and if you ignore those and cap around them they lose. They don't just have high kill count but also very little death. It's classic in battlefield and always requires specific ways of playing. Its not useful to kill 3 or 4 guys in a heli run then disappear only to do it again when a medic comes out from hiding after. Capping around those elite pilots have always been the way to go. 

"I'll add this one more time because it's very clear our freedom of choice is becoming more and more silenced. Silencing people does not help toxicity. Our history as humans has proved this wrong for hundreds of years. Don't like Voip? Mute or turn it off in the menu. Don't want to see the scoreboard? Don't use it... would be nice for DICE to allow both options though. Don't want all chat? Click one single button and it hides away. Give player options, don't just remove * because you feel empowered in doing so."

I've given reasons why i think the scoreboard needs to go in the very post you quoted. You didn't address those reasons, you ignored them only to end your post with self victimization because people disagrees with you. Now you add voip and AllChat to the discussion in an attempt to make the scoreboard situation seems worse when they have nothing to do with each others.

Well voip certainly could be useful in HZ and if you think your squads that spread to all cardinal point will stop because voip you're wrong but you can have it. I don't care about voip, it wont make people play worse or incentivize cheaters like a scoreboard does. 

All Chat has never once been useful in all my years of playing any video game. Unless the game is nearly over and the trashtalk and the hurt feelings is a fun thing to read while it ends. You can have it, i don't care about high kill dude * on low kill players, it can be entertaining.

Kudos for this post Standard smile

I have stated this several times in other threads here, the classic Scoreboard is forcing a "wrong kind" of teamplay

I don't need to be Top of a list or have the highest K/D (especially when I don't know if these kills got acquired via Bolte camping, Nightbird farming etc.)

In the end it is important my teams wins and that can only be done by supporting each other, caping and defending flags.

See you on the Battlefield

Message 12 of 18 (180 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@WR4ITH66 I read something that the scoreboard was made this way because it's a PC/Console cross play and if you had the traditional scoreboard then if would tend to show the console players more at the lower end. We can't have that. If that is true it is unlikely EA or DICE will bring back the old scoreboard. I hate that and I hate this game. If that's the case then there should be 2 separate versions for consoles and PCs.
Message 13 of 18 (172 Views)

★★★ Pro

I tend to believe the choice to not have the scoreboard is probably more to discourage toxic behaviour.  Its the way the world is going these days and, to me, seems the most likely reason for it.  I like to think it will return.  In some ways its nice not to have some big mouth idiot whining at his team about how great he is and singling out people for having a poor game, but it masks potential hackers when they used to stick out like a sore thumb when you could see a level 6 with 80 kills on the scoreboard.  

Its giving the game a bit of a casual vibe really.  If I wanted to sit in spawn with a sniper rifle and get 6 kills in a round, who would really know?  Would anyone suggest I wasn't really helping the team?  Not saying that's what I do, but everyone can do their own thing and its pretty anonymous.  I played a round of rush a few days ago and two guys in my squad were nowhere near the action the whole game, they took themselves right to the very edge of the combat area and had hardly any kills or assists.  No idea what they were up to, myself and another guy in the squad questioned it in squad chat but they didn't respond.  Its not easy to notice things like this with no general scoreboard.  Wouldn't you like some kind of explanation when your team gets steamrolled in a round?  As it is I have no real idea what just happened because the visibility just isn't there.

Message 14 of 18 (168 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Piabetic And you can't talk to them because there is no VOIP. The texting in BFV and BF 1 are pretty lively but not in this controlled environment game. They've taken a lot of fun out of it and I paid full price and thought it was going to be great and it stinks. It is pathetic. Except for Orbital, Discarded and that Korean map with all the cranes the maps are terrible. Terrain color and the colors in general are muted and ugly. There is no team play. Practically no one gives squad orders. There is no cohesion. There is no self promoting by requesting an order. There is no way to motivate someone to give orders.
Message 15 of 18 (162 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

The scoreboard was very usefu way l to see if your team needed more of a certain class like medic or support.  You could see who is running what class was so nice

Message 16 of 18 (127 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@fragnstein Well, kinda unnecessary now since classes are out and everyone can be self-sufficient mostly... There's no -need- to fill out a certain role anymore. I sometimes run a repair tool when I spawn in a tank to help out or switch gadgets to account for aerial spam or whatever...

In any case, I would like to see scoreboard or gathered stats but to be honest they should focus on making the game better first before doing anything else.
Message 17 of 18 (116 Views)

★★★ Guide

Don't understand how something a simple as a proper scoreboard hasn't been introduced into the game.

Literally all other BF games had it, nearly every FPS shooter has it. Dice pls add it.

Message 18 of 18 (100 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help