Face creation without purpose

by o-MIDAS-o

Original Post

Face creation without purpose

★ Apprentice

title says it all

what's the point of all these!?

which face players like the most??

1st person view in fort, 3rd person view but inside javelin out in the field, wtf bruh!??

face-creation-anthem.png

give us least come in/out javelin in 3rd person and run around pilot suit.

Message 1 of 9 (209 Views)

Re: Face creation without purpose

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

You see the faces in a few cutscenes, as long as you're wearing a default helmet and not in a Colossus.

Message 2 of 9 (196 Views)

★★★ Guide
Hehe yeah cosmetics have always felt like a waste in first person games to me. What's funny is how people will want/complain for first person to be added to any 3rd person game. I saw that alot with Warframe and wouldn't be surprised if someone already did the same for Anthem. Just to get more use out of it they should allow us to customize our pilots anytime we want to like we can our javelins.
Message 3 of 9 (192 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Aedensin just like that?
a mute protagonist sounds better somehow, can't even get a look of my race anyway.
Message 4 of 9 (144 Views)

Champion

@Aedensin wrote:

You see the faces in a few cutscenes, as long as you're wearing a default helmet and not in a Colossus.

The Colossus works too, actually, if you use the default torso. Other versions of the torso don’t open the faceplate though, even if the helmet itself looks like the default one.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 5 of 9 (126 Views)

★★★ Guide

I suspect originally they were planning to make cutscenes with faces. But couldnt make it in time so it was left only because animations with javelin equipping were ready.

Message 6 of 9 (107 Views)

Champion

I wouldn't call picking a predefined face "face creation".

We are used to better options from other Bioware games.

As I understood it, the devs decided to not put more effort into character creation because you don't see your character that much.

Which sounds reasonable to me.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 7 of 9 (101 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I cant even remeber what my pilot looks like under that suit

Message 8 of 9 (71 Views)

Champion

@Hark0nnenn wrote:

I suspect originally they were planning to make cutscenes with faces. But couldnt make it in time so it was left only because animations with javelin equipping were ready.

I don’t know if they actually planned to make cutscenes with faces. As I understand it, they were trying to avoid any more “Andromeda derpy face” memes, so they used high-quality facial mocap hardware for recording the NPC conversations. Which is in high demand and therefore makes recording face-to-face dialogue even more expensive than simply recording the voice in the studio (and using an algorithm that animates the mouth based on the audio, which doesn’t look as natural).

Adding the third person view for the protagonist would mean most conversations in the fort would be at least twice as expensive, because they’d have to mocap the protagonist as well. Plus there could still be issues, because if you’re going to mocap one person and apply that animation to any of the dozens of faces available in the game, some of them could come out looking derpy regardless.

There would also be additional costs associated with “camera work” (framing each character speaking during the dialogue). Some people would demand more in-depth character creation and clothing options, whereas many would still skip through all conversations because all they care about it loot.

But making the character completely faceless would also be awkward, so adding a few basic presets was a reasonable compromise, all things considered.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 9 of 9 (61 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help