F1 22 PC physical copy

by SAdamuSBin

Original Post

F1 22 PC physical copy

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I saw on various shops (not just online) that they're selling only the digital copies of F1 22 for PC, while for console they sell the physical copies. As I buy every year the physical version, I have a collection of F1 games that I'd like to continue, but I can't see where and if I can buy it for PC

Message 1 of 10 (769 Views)

Re: F1 22 PC physical copy

Community Manager

@SAdamuSBin 

Check first with the retailer(s) you have purchased from previously. 

If physical copies are not available from them, you may need to shop around.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 10 (742 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@SAdamuSBin wrote:

I saw on various shops (not just online) that they're selling only the digital copies of F1 22 for PC, while for console they sell the physical copies. As I buy every year the physical version, I have a collection of F1 games that I'd like to continue, but I can't see where and if I can buy it for PC

Like many things these days, the physical versions of PC games are in decline. I don't think there is a physical version, logistics of delivery just destroy margin.

Also, there isn't really a viable storage medium to contain the size of the game code and the code is outdated before it hits the stores anyway.

Consoles are also becoming digital only. BD-ROM is also in decline, I think once the format is obsolete for film, and again the medium is too small for game code sizes, that the console is not used for physical media at all when most are streaming or downloading. 

Same thing applies to console variants, PS5 and Series X still have BluRay variants but I guess it depends how the sales go of the consoles themselves and disc versus digital. 

Which will die out first, Chickens or Eggs Standard smile

Message 3 of 10 (726 Views)

Champion

@SteveJackson wrote:

Consoles are also becoming digital only. BD-ROM is also in decline, I think once the format is obsolete for film, and again the medium is too small for game code sizes, that the console is not used for physical media at all when most are streaming or downloading. 

Same thing applies to console variants, PS5 and Series X still have BluRay variants but I guess it depends how the sales go of the consoles themselves and disc versus digital. 

On PlayStation I know that the versions of the PS5 with the disc drive outsell the digital model. For XBOX it's less of a fair comparison as the digital-only Series S is also a lower spec. machine.

Currently I'll still choose to buy the disc versions of games like F1 22 as they're cheaper new, and can be both bought and sold second hand. The convenience of not having to put a disc in to play a game is nice to have but not something I'm prepared to pay extra for. I have zero interest in disc games from a 'colllecting' point of view, although I know many do.

I have bought a few digital versions of older games when at a very good sale price though, plus I have others via PlayStation Plus.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 10 (717 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Ultrasonic_77 wrote:

@SteveJackson wrote:

On PlayStation I know that the versions of the PS5 with the disc drive outsell the digital model. For XBOX it's less of a fair comparison as the digital-only Series S is also a lower spec. machine.

Currently I'll still choose to buy the disc versions of games like F1 22 as they're cheaper new, and can be both bought and sold second hand. The convenience of not having to put a disc in to play a game is nice to have but not something I'm prepared to pay extra for. I have zero interest in disc games from a 'colllecting' point of view, although I know many do.

I have bought a few digital versions of older games when at a very good sale price though, plus I have others via PlayStation Plus.

Perhaps it's fortunate BD-ROM is a Sony format. MS already went their own way once with (Toshiba's) HD DVD and failed.

PCs don't have optical drives by default for some time. Consoles become more like PCs the whole time. Evolution points in this direction.

Message 5 of 10 (672 Views)

Champion

@SteveJackson wrote:

PCs don't have optical drives by default for some time. Consoles become more like PCs the whole time. Evolution points in this direction.

Sure, but given the likely life-cycle of PS5 disc models I think we're many years off the demise of physical games for PlayStation.

Message 6 of 10 (657 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Ultrasonic_77 wrote:

@SteveJackson wrote:

Sure, but given the likely life-cycle of PS5 disc models I think we're many years off the demise of physical games for PlayStation.

Each cycle is pretty much 6-7 years. So 2026-27.

Message 7 of 10 (646 Views)

Champion

@SteveJackson wrote:

The PS4 was released over 8 years ago and is still very much supported, plus I've heard it suggested that the PS5 is likely to have a longer life due to diminishing improvements from higher spec. hardware, although obviously this is speculation. As indeed is any view on whether it's successor would still have a disc edition, although I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't.

All I'm saying is I think it's rather early to be discussing the demise of physical console games.

Message 8 of 10 (634 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Ultrasonic_77 wrote:

@SteveJackson wrote:

The PS4 was released over 8 years ago and is still very much supported, plus I've heard it suggested that the PS5 is likely to have a longer life due to diminishing improvements from higher spec. hardware, although obviously this is speculation. As indeed is any view on whether it's successor would still have a disc edition, although I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't.

All I'm saying is I think it's rather early to be discussing the demise of physical console games.

Have you got a figure of the percentage of digital only titles vs ones with disc variants?

Message 9 of 10 (576 Views)

Champion

@SteveJackson wrote:

Have you got a figure of the percentage of digital only titles vs ones with disc variants?

Nope. Sales figures for any console games has been basically impossible to find whenever I've looked. I wish they were available.

All I can be confident of is what I posted above: more PS5 disc versions being made and sold than digital versions. I'm aware of this from quarterly financial reports released by Sony, which I've seen discussed via Mystic Ryan's YouTube channel.

I don't think this is surprising given the cost savings to be made from physical games, both when brand new and via the ability to buy and sell used games.

Message 10 of 10 (559 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help