Extensive Firing Range Makeover

by Koochi-Q

Original Post

Extensive Firing Range Makeover

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Firing Range sucks, so unless you’re really into... and I mean really into upgrading shooting, you might use it. 

But look at how bland it is. Couple targets... that you gotta use a workaround to get moving -_-, all guns & loot just sitting there and some moving target in distance to shoot that are bigger than gibraltar so you can hardly miss. 

Yea, no real world representation. Thats why I’m moving forward with advising the implementation of these changes so that you can really up your game in there:

1) smaller target boards that you can customize the patterns of

2) place multiple buildings for peanutbutter’s sake so you can know where to place traps or come up with tactica to attack certain buildings with your squad when they’re already fortified by either caustic, and or wattson and or rampart! 

3) Make the environment different. Do a grassland and a ‘olympus land’ scene. This will give you a better idea for which skins to run if you’re into that

4) Just make the dummy movement available from the start option, just like the toggle for FF... come on now. 

5) Place a mirror... or place multiple. Seeing enemies strafe is good and all but what good is it that you know your character is strafing itself when you can’t see his model at all so basically you’re unaware of how much is exposed when looking somewhere or how far or how little you’re strafing... This will give ppl a good idea on how they got knocked sometimes thinking an enemy could never hit them (true fun fact... your ‘eyes’ in the game are not the other edges of your character). 

6) If not in a 3-man party, give an option to fill it up with bots (bonus points for being able to choose the degree of AI skill)

7) Make the Firing range longer for long range target practice

8) Bring in a trident if reason 7 is met with cause why not. 

9) make the firing mode representable like an actual server. Firing Range is so fun... all bullets seem to hit on those moving dummies even when shooting from afar but as soon as you get into an actual game... enemies move roughly the same or sometimes not at all and sometimes much faster, but you’re closer and miss most shots dus to lag compensation!

10) have a good day

Message 1 of 13 (590 Views)

Re: Extensive Firing Range Makeover

★★★★★ Expert
@Koochi-Q Programmable MRVNs teams that you can set how many and the difficulty.
Message 2 of 13 (584 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Koochi-Q Hostile prowlers, flyers, and behemoths that you can release from cages too. I kind of want to see who'd come out on top between those three, the dummies, and MRVN units.
Message 3 of 13 (563 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@DK9027Lolz weird but I like weird, but this is a serious *puts on serious face* thread! No time for tomfoolery!

*starts chuckling in back room*

Message 4 of 13 (546 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I like your:

#4 Toggle dummy activation, that's no brainer and easy to do.

#5 Imagine admire himself on the mirror and shooting your own shadow, that would be fun. 

I would like dummy difficulty can be adjusted from Bronze to Predator difficulty.

Message 5 of 13 (543 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Koochi-Q Tomfoolery you say!? I've never met a Tom in my life I'll have you know. If anything I'm a fool of a took.
Message 6 of 13 (542 Views)

Champion
@Koochi-Q I'm good with all of this. Plus give me someone I cant down with a headshot by the kraber. 😜
Message 7 of 13 (536 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@DK9027 Well it’s time that you met a few toms... tomboys 😏 The best a man can get. Gilette lies in their slogan!

Well took... I’m morphing into tuchus... so stop tuchusfoolery! That only leads to more babies!

ps: I hope you saw the pic included in my last post... I updated it before you made your reply but you might not have seen it.

@asukojo, you’d think so but how long is that workaround in place without even a mention of when it’ll just be a toggle. This is Apex’ Respawn after all. Need months of time to implement a feature already in place xD.

It’d be quite hard to put dummies in a way to match preds and such I think. Cause ‘What makes a master or pred?’ Is it superior skillz such as aim and movement, is it situational awareness, is it positioning, is it luck or all of the above? Obv it’s all of the above, but how to code that in a dummy without players just saying, this is just hax! We’ve all bested preds and masters either in a fair 1v1 or in a not fair 1v1. A computer coded AI simulating the best will always be at it’s best and might not even give you a chance to draw your weapon before raining you down with lead.

I’m getting flashbacks to early digital monopoly set at medium difficulty and they ALWAYS had the best streets and seem to evade my houses or hotels by either going on their own or landing themselves in jail while I constantly stepped on their streets <.<
Message 8 of 13 (533 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Koochi-Q
1 - Yea' (don't care that much).

2 - Yes! But it needs some way to make the doors reappear a little after you break or blast them.

3 - Yea'.

4 - Hell Yes !!! Requested it too, like 2 Seasons ago. I do have a guess why they avoid making this an easy switch though... For reason, check below the short answers.

5 - Nah. To see yourself in the mirror you have to be close to the mirror. I'd rather have a small (floating) window where I can see my legend in 3rd person.

6 - Yea, can raise some issues (similar to point 4), You can also activate the dummies when entering with a party, so. As for AI levels, don't know, aim can be inhumanly accurate, but it needs a ton of effort to get a more realistic, natural movement, which is what we actually need the most.

7- Don't care much for this one, there are very far targets anyway (around the drop ship).

8 - Yea', why not. Not that useful to me though.

9 - Dummies are simulated on the client, server doesn't care ...unless you activate them.

10 - thanks, you too Standard smile

Ok, so, there's a problem with how the firing range works. It's basically like a match, with some rules changed ( client probably doesn't need approval from the server to confirm hits on targets and on still dummies, matchmaking ignores skill ratings, server doesn't send updates regarding the enemies, the sounds, looting spawns clones of those items, etc. - occasionally things do get across, like moving zipline and other ghost type of stuff Standard smile ). I have no idea how many players get put on the same match, possibly more than 60, and the match gets a reset once every few hours I think (you suddenly get placed back at the entrance when that happens).

Here's where the AI can become a problem. Since both you and your friends need to see the same thing, the animated dummies have to be simulated by the server, therefore chewing up some processing power. Not a big issue if there are just 9-12 dummies that have to be simulated, but if there's an accessible toggle, it's very likely that most players will turn it on, so it's not a stretch to say that you can have at least like 40-60 animated dummies at once (3 dummies per player or party, so even more if supported players is higher than 60 !) . This can become a serious matter, we'd probably start having issues in Firing Range as well, including crashes.

Allocating more server capacity to support the firing range is not a great idea, either, as it would take that from the other modes, so I don't know if it's worth having AI there.
Message 9 of 13 (513 Views)

Champion
@Koochi-Q I liked 10# the most.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 10 of 13 (496 Views)