Re: Extensive Firing Range Makeover

by Koochi-Q

Original Post

★★★★★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe I'm gonna answer the ones I like

5) That's the idea. It's a large mirror or reflective surface. Place it on the opposite side of the charge tower. The farther away you are, the 'better' you see how you look from another person's view. You can even go up the hill or down near the dummies so you can also see how it 'looks' when elevated or when lower than equal level.

7) Hitting those big hitboxes are the only thing you can do from a distance. If you want to long range shoot at the dummies you either have to go up top again or go towards the back and even at the back you still don't actually have line of sight on the dummies so that's why longer.

9) I know, but that's what messes ppl up. I luckily never hang out in firing ranges, but so often someone comes on the side or a regular is saying that shots didn't work, but that person does very well against moving targets (either AI or dummies) in Firing Range. That's why for ppl's sanity I think it's important to make it more representable.

You make a good point BUT let's say for argument's sake that it lets 60 ppl, just like an actual match onto the server as 1 lobby. Okay, most ppl I think don't go into lobby with multiple ppl for long. This is just hazarding a guess so I may be wrong. So let's say half is solo and half is 3 man party. Okay 60 ppl, just like in an actual match.

The resources to load Firing Range is much less than loading KC, WE, O(P... seriously we need an abbrev for olympus XD) I'm sure. Okay so more processing power for whatever device it is you're running to let those dummies animate themselves in whatever which way. If they just have 3 settings, I'm sure it won't upset the server to let those dummies run amock... even less so if there's not even 60 ppl on a server because they're all in actual matches slaughtering their fellow human's avatar.

If it would require more server capacity (be it more servers or better allocation) then, no I would not want that. That processing power could be better spend on improving actual matches, but if it weren't detrimental I'd be in favor of it.
Message 11 of 13 (102 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Koochi-Q
5 - very detailed reflections can be heavy on performance. I'd stick with the idea of having a 3rd person view, there is actually another easter egg enabling that, just that it doesn't have a way to switch it on/off quickly and you can't see 1st person and 3rd person at the same time. By the way, changing to 3rd person is just a clientside thing, server doesn't care how you see yourself Standard smile.

7 - I agree, would make sense with AI enabled. But I think you can get about 200m away from a dummy, which is pretty OK already.

9 - AI enabled dummies are simulated on the server, so, if you want to simulate more lag, just connect to a very distant data center and run a firing range from ther, it might decrease your accuracy. I have to try this myself. Still, the AI moves much more predictable, linearly and it's also pretty bad at dodging, so it's much easier to hit dummies.

There is a way to free servers from Firing Range matches, by hosting them locally. Party leader would act as host for his friends. This has its own issues, though. If party leader leaves, it's game over for everyone. Then, host would benefit from no lag, while distant friends could get average delays much bigger than in the actual server matches. And this would also expose server side code to the clients and, therefore, hackers.
Message 12 of 13 (93 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe

5) Ohhh I don’t need to see myself in great detail or a 0ms delay while strafing, but more how far a flick to the right is as opposed to 2 seconds and such...

Wait an easter egg for that? That might work as well tbh...

7) yea, but it’s always downhill and not on same height. That’s more of the problem. Whenever I have a sniper (almost never), I’m usually at around eye lvl of my target even from 100-200m away.

9) this is all true
Message 13 of 13 (81 Views)