ERS HELP

by cristakis

Original Post

ERS HELP

★★★ Novice

Hi. Who can explain exactly what these ERS INFO Lines means please. 
My thoughts-

GREEN Line is ERS Deploy for a single Lap, (resets after passing Start)

YELLOW Percentage Info- ERS for entire race. 

Red Line- ERS Regeneration????

(increase's when braking)

The Red line resets after passing Start but this confuses me. Doesn’t never reach Max. The Regeneration doesn’t seem to add to Yellow Percentage.

WHAT BENEFIT IS THIS INFO?? 

Apprciate any help. Thanks 

Message 1 of 19 (646 Views)

Re: ERS HELP

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@cristakisIt’s how much ERS you’ve regenerated over a lap. So when you go over the start/finish line the reason it doesn’t go to 100% is because you’ll never regenerate 100% over a lap

Also I’ll move this thread to F1 23 board 

Message 2 of 19 (640 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)
  • The yellow bar in the center shows the state of charge - SOC of your ES, how much battery you have left;
  • The green outer gauge on the right shows your MGU-K deployment rate. It is capped to 4MJ by lap, as per FIA regulations. Once you cross the S/F line, it will reset. The rate depends on your ERS mode, including usage of the Overtake function.
  • The red outer gauge on the left shows your MGU-K harvesting rate. It is also capped, but to 2MJ by lap. Once you cross the S/F line it resets. That harvesting happens under braking.

MGU-H works with no cap whatsoever, but you can't directly see its effects.

I don't know what 100% represents in those bars, but I'm assuming it is 2MJ for the harvesting and 4MJ for deployment. How much you'll see being filled or deleted throughout the lap naturally depends on the ERS parameters, so you'll see more variability in Free Practice sessions.

Message 3 of 19 (605 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Message 4 of 19 (600 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply. As mentioned in a reply

“The red outer gauge on the left shows your MGU-K harvesting rate.”

I understand what the redline shows but what help does this gauge do ?

If I braked more and harvested more where do I see the benefits ?

why would I try and increase my harvest ? As the track and braking corners will always determine how much I harvest in any given lap. 

would there ever be a scenario in Quali where I invalidated my Lap halfway through and now want to harvest the battery so I could straight away do another lap? You normally only put enough fuel to do one good HOTLAP. 

or would you use it in a race by turning off MEDIUM BATTERY and harvest as much as you can then turn it back on ?  

who turns their battery off in a race ? No one. 

so I feel it’s info that doesn’t benefit me in anyway how I would race normally. 

Have I missed the point. 

Thanks 

Message 5 of 19 (542 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Yes, you have.

Harvest from the MGU-K is capped at 2MJ per lap.

Over one hotlap, how useful is that? Meh.

Over the distance, on long races, when you need to time your moves? Hmm...

On long battles for position, when you can assume your opponent doesn't have much more juice in the box? Hmm...

When you're pushing and doesn't want to get caught with your pants down while bursting Overtake mode on corner exit? Hmm...

As a way to infer your MGU-H workrate by accounting for the MGU-K harvesting? Hmm...

On post-release support, serving as actionable info to report to the devs if the deployment map doesn't seem to fit a given track (like it happened in 2021) or gets unbalanced after upgrades in Career and My Team mode? Hmm...

ERS as a whole in this franchise is suboptimal in its current state. It hasn't always been like this. A few yes ago ERS modes were freely changeable during the race. The system was vulnerable to exploits and has been dumbed and washed down since.

It is relatively safe to assume these games will improve up to a point where we can have more input in this system, since ERS modes continue to be a key aspect of the real sport even long after the ban on switchable ICE modes. Like plotting a few deployment maps or parameters and making them available during the race, or a proper harvest mode during during races.

MGU-K gauges have always been in the franchise. I see no reason to have them removed.

Message 6 of 19 (525 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi. Your explanation of ERS and its usefulness is excellent. But I’m not disagreeing with you. My point is that showing how much GREEN gauge ERS per lap is useful. Showing YELLOW percentage overal ERS per race useful. But showing RED harvesting gauge with information on how much your harvesting is not useful as you can’t do anything with information or would you drive any different. 
would be like showing a G-FORCE gauge. Information that has no bearing on the race. As I’m not going to take corners slower because of the G-FORCE. 

Thanks 

Message 7 of 19 (498 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@cristakis But it’s symmetrical and that matters. We humans love symmetry. In all seriousness it doesn’t matter to me. And won’t matter to most. But it will matter to some. Especially in longer races.
Message 8 of 19 (496 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@cristakis I think your choice of example, "useless" G forces display, shows how this is a matter of personal preference at most.

I'd love to have one of this:

IMG_1496.jpg

It's a friction circle, and it shows how much Gs your vehicle is experiencing longitudinally (braking and accelerating, on the "y" axis of the graph) and latitudinally ("x" axis). It's one of the most used forms of telemetry as it shows how much cornering and acceleration force your tyres are exerting at any given moment - thus, if you're driving under the limit, overdriving or giving it all as you should.

You'll see it in plenty of telemetry tools and track day onboards:

Screenshot_20230530_095421.jpg

Couple that with your tyres' temperature and you're fully equipped to manage your tyres and pace - i.e. actively adjusting your driving.

It's fine to not see usefulness in the MGU-K HUDs. I certainly wouldn't if all I did were time trials, for instance. And as I said, in the current implementation of the ERS with reduced input from the player, the harvest gauge does have less usefulness.

All the examples I listed were of situations where I'd be checking it though - even with the ERS on its current form.

Message 9 of 19 (465 Views)

★★ Guide

@mariohomoh  What does the term MJ stand for? Thanks

Message 10 of 19 (408 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help