EA not making the money they want to on this?

by KelRiever

Original Post

EA not making the money they want to on this?

★★★ Expert

It feels like someone at EA isn't making the money they thought they should be making and probably blaming Apex for it.  That's different, of course, than actually making enough money or making a profit. That's having a fit over not making as 'much as they should'.

It's adding up.  When you have things like bad servers, and not enough being done about cheating, and slow development, AND atrocious price points on skin that are designed to mimic Fortnite, then maybe it's the parent company.  It's not like anyone here doesn't know how bad EA is as a company.  It's literally THE bad example as a company.  When you're worse than Activision?  Well, you know you are the worst.

That's my main concern for this game, not that it isn't good or doesn't need improvements, but that some * overlord is going to go crying in his morning cereal and having a hissy fit at devs if he doesn't get what he thinks he should get.  

Message 1 of 7 (664 Views)

Re: EA not making the money they want to on this?

[ Edited ]

@KelRieverI don't know of any businesses who's operators feel entitled to specific amounts of money. There are definitely goals they work for and try to achieve but they are goals. If the business is seeing a decline in revenue, management will analyze data both internal and external data to figure out why and what, if anything can be done to correct it.

From there your points are just not accurate, EA Sports has smashed through revenue/profit estimates and that was fueled in large part by Apex Legends.

Apex Legends has been so successful and beat all estimates on revenue that EA and Respawn just opened a studio which will be dedicated to Apex Legends. That tells me the best is yet to come for Apex Legends. That is a massive investment in game development by EA. It will take some time before we start to see the impacts of the design studio, but its coming.

That is also a very long term investment, opening a new studio requires a rather large investment on numerous levels and a long term commitment. So that tells you this game is being successful way beyond their expectations.

Many of the player population Stats are not public. But what information is public are EA quarterly revenue and profit statements/charts. Which have all been positive and not just beating estimates but smashing them. You're welcome to search the net for "apex legends revenue" and "EA Sports quarterly reports" and read about it. I read these reports because I invest in stocks and bonds. 

I'd highly doubt EA's executives are involved with game design decisions. They have studios and design teams that do that. Executives, manage finances, legal problems, secure leases, equipment, talent and deal with basically administrative aspects of a business.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 7 (581 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@DarthValtrexYou have good points but I think executives do look at things like revenue per game and set targets an individual game should make, at least in their minds. And I believe often they are bad targets and those executives have often inappropriate responses to a game ‘missing’ those targets.

It’s a suspicion really with Apex. They don’t seem to be getting the support they need to improve some basic and obvious things with their game like servers.

Message 3 of 7 (542 Views)

@KelRiever Yeah they set goals/targets. They have projections. But the executives don’t micromanage game development. I have not seen any evidence of it from EA.

It’s fairly well known that people brains work differently. Some people are extremely creative. Some people are extremely book smart. Some are leaders and can manage. They have specific skill sets. When someone who lacks creativity attempts to micromanage the creators you get garbage. When someone who is lacks management skills, tries to lead a company you get chaos. There are exceptions but it’s rare.

That is all well known by most executives. So they let creators create, managers manage and so on.

I have told you Apex is not missing targets. It’s fueling record profits and revenue for EA.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 7 (492 Views)

★★★ Expert

@DarthValtrex That doesn't mean someone passes down those profits.  And that doesn't mean people don't do bad jobs overseeing games.  

Yes, record profits, but how come the servers are trash then?  Not according to me, look at these forums. If those profits weren't being milked excessively, and being used to keep the goose laying golden eggs, so to speak, this game would be in better shape, don't you think?  

Honestly, if you were running the company well, a record profits game should get record attention.  Do you honestly think Apex is getting the attention it deserves?

Message 5 of 7 (483 Views)

Champion
@KelRiever Perhaps what you view as things that should be easily fixed are not that easy to fix?
Message 6 of 7 (441 Views)

★★★ Expert

@hayhor:  Perhaps.  Also perhaps I'm right.

Message 7 of 7 (407 Views)