Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

by S_Sasquatch6
Reply

Original Post

EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★★★★ Novice

It's to no one's surprise that we will see something about Anthem at EA Play 2019, June 8-9th. The roadmap has been delayed, communication has ceased in the past month+, and players are wondering "what's next?".

All jokes and criticisms aside, most, if not all, I would agree with, what we are about to see revealed needs to not only be significant, but soon.

Anthem needs it "Realm Reborn" from FFXIV, "Loot update" from Division 1, etc. The time for this update has already passed for many players. For those that still see the potential in this game, are still holding on to the dust of "hope" that there may still be time for change... their time is approaching as well.

 

June-July Is Anthem's Deadline

Many anticipated games are coming. I don't believe one game's release affects another that already has a community developed, a fan base. For example, I'm a fan of both Borderlands and Destiny. Borderlands releases in early September, Destiny has always released a significant product in early September as well. I don't believe one will significantly affect the other because these games, these franchises, and their communities are already established. A fan of both will favor one over the other, sure, but they don't just forget a game they have a major interest in. They will dabble in both.

 

My point here is, Anthem isn't established. It's dedicated playerbase is diminishing by the day. These games WILL affect anything Anthem releases drastically if released around their's.

 

The playerbase of Anthem needs everything that was within the roadmap, and more, in the next big update of the game. It needs to come soon. Again, June-July. You can't release any of this around September because no one trusts in your product over the others. It'll be overlooked and forgotten. If you release after September, the playerbase and the last of their patience is long gone.

 

The "Fix" For Anthem Isn't Just Increased Drop Rates

Anthem loot needs more work than just increased drop rates. This goes hand-in-hand with the incentive of running new content/activities. Anthem is trying to be a min-max game but fails to do so. Why? Because it is landing in the middle of other popular looters and how they do loot.

In Destiny, you grind for specfic rolls/perks on certain gear. In The Division, you grind for higher %s on those specfic rolls/perks. Anthem is trying to land in the middle of those and you CAN NOT make that work in any system. With all the possible Gear pieces, Inscriptions, and range of %s, it's impossible to min-max and see progression. It's not all about rarity, "LEGENDARIES!", it's about inscriptions and their %s ultimately. In any min-max game, you won't ever truely achieve a "maxed" build. Anthem extends that impossibility significantly and is why players are discouraged to continue. The chances of progessing your build is so slim. When you do get an improvement, it is likely minimal as well. It doesn't change how you play, doesn't feel like you got an improvement even when the numbers say otherwise.

 

The Path of Least Resistance

With what was said above, players will continue to run only the old content if exclusives are not available in the newest additions. "You can get anything, anywhere!" doesn't incentivize players or your new content. This is a serious issue that I just wanted to touch on briefly. The loot needs completely reworked, not just increased drops.

 

I'm one of the players that has stopped playing long ago but is still checking in on the outside because I know the potential is there.

 

The next update doesn't need to be good, it needs to be great.

 

Let's discuss. What do you expect? Thoughts on what I've said? 

Message 1 of 9 (402 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★ Guide

Well said. Anthem had the benefit of having been released in an uncompetitive time of year. But clearly, it wasn’t ready. You bring up an interesting point too about fan bases of their respective games like borderlands and destiny. I’m a fan of both but I’ll likely choose borderlands first and eventually get back to destiny. And you’re right. Whatever BioWare plans on doing for E3, it needs to be done soon. Anthem doesn’t have a chance of competing with 2 big looter shooters. But me personally, I have only one expectation for E3, a complete shut down of anthem so that it can be fixed, get good meaningful content in, improved loot system and maybe even more variety in the loot like new weapons and abilities. If anything other than what I just mentioned is announced, I’m not interested. The devs can only get away with so much before they lose all good Will from their fans

Message 2 of 9 (367 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★ Apprentice
Hell if the cataclysm doesnt drop tomorrow like has been promised for 4 months im gone for good... season of opulence starts in destiny next week so ill go back there and see whats new, then in a few months Bl3 is out and ill hopefully get a few good months out of that.
Message 3 of 9 (344 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★★★ Guide

Ive been with Destiny since the start, and I still love it.  However, all my times been with Anthem.  I admit, I fell for the hype train that was Anthem.  I still have hope.  I like the game a great deal and I do hope it evolves and succeeds, much like Destiny 1 and 2.  I'd love to be playing Anthem a couple years later and saying "I was there at the beginning."

Message 4 of 9 (337 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★★★★ Novice

@Silversurferguy wrote:

Well said. Anthem had the benefit of having been released in an uncompetitive time of year. But clearly, it wasn’t ready. You bring up an interesting point too about fan bases of their respective games like borderlands and destiny. I’m a fan of both but I’ll likely choose borderlands first and eventually get back to destiny. And you’re right. Whatever BioWare plans on doing for E3, it needs to be done soon. Anthem doesn’t have a chance of competing with 2 big looter shooters. But me personally, I have only one expectation for E3, a complete shut down of anthem so that it can be fixed, get good meaningful content in, improved loot system and maybe even more variety in the loot like new weapons and abilities. If anything other than what I just mentioned is announced, I’m not interested. The devs can only get away with so much before they lose all good Will from their fans


Agreed, though I don't think they'll use a stage like E3 or EA Play to announce "we're shutting down until we're good!"

You could argue they've been doing that the last 100 days or so because it's been progressively quieter. The E3/EA stage is to SHOW the positives they've only been saying to us. If it isn't big, eye rolls aplenty.

 

Message 5 of 9 (316 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★★★★ Novice

@Jonny_Castilloux wrote:

Ive been with Destiny since the start, and I still love it.  However, all my times been with Anthem.  I admit, I fell for the hype train that was Anthem.  I still have hope.  I like the game a great deal and I do hope it evolves and succeeds, much like Destiny 1 and 2.  I'd love to be playing Anthem a couple years later and saying "I was there at the beginning."


I feel this one in my very soul lol.

I really do, but nothing is worse than forcing yourself to play a game. There's no need to be married to 1 game. Step back, play or do something else. You'll come back to it when you're ready and have the appreciation for the game still. Whereas, forcing yourself to play could tarnish it.

Message 6 of 9 (308 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@brodieburnett wrote:
Hell if the cataclysm doesnt drop tomorrow like has been promised for 4 months im gone for good... season of opulence starts in destiny next week so ill go back there and see whats new, then in a few months Bl3 is out and ill hopefully get a few good months out of that.

Highly doubt it, that would be horrifyingly bad marketing to just suddenly drop your most anticipated piece of content out of nowhere. Especially in the game's state and reputation. The roadmap and website is outdated.

June-July, no later, I believe. For Anthem's sake.

Message 7 of 9 (263 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★ Guide

@S_Sasquatch6 wrote:

Agreed, though I don't think they'll use a stage like E3 or EA Play to announce "we're shutting down until we're good!"

You could argue they've been doing that the last 100 days or so because it's been progressively quieter. The E3/EA stage is to SHOW the positives they've only been saying to us. If it isn't big, eye rolls aplenty.

 


Fair point. The reason for my expectation is the fact they’ve squandered their credibility. Anything they show, regardless of how good it may be, is gonna be met with some serious doubt and skepticism. 

Message 8 of 9 (229 Views)

Re: EA Play 2019 Expectations Discussion

★★★★ Novice

@Silversurferguy wrote:

@S_Sasquatch6 wrote:

Agreed, though I don't think they'll use a stage like E3 or EA Play to announce "we're shutting down until we're good!"

You could argue they've been doing that the last 100 days or so because it's been progressively quieter. The E3/EA stage is to SHOW the positives they've only been saying to us. If it isn't big, eye rolls aplenty.

 


Fair point. The reason for my expectation is the fact they’ve squandered their credibility. Anything they show, regardless of how good it may be, is gonna be met with some serious doubt and skepticism. 


Absolutely. That's another reason why I think June-July is the deadline. The people with those doubts and skepticism need to see that influence over time. They need to see those leaps in the game as a whole by way of social media or gameplay to bring them back.

They can't wait too long and have that process overshadowed by the likes of Borderlands 3 and others.

Message 9 of 9 (190 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help