EA/Origin's downfall? Please no

by Tanalbi

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

EA/Origin's downfall? Please no

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I realized yesterday that in some sort of thing, EA is "joining" Valve's Steam AND that most of it's platform, Origin's games are going to Steam (Battlefield, some FIFAs, etc). Can you please explain this to me?

Does that mean EA is on some sort of bankruptcy and that it will cease to exist along with Origin? Please no!

I recently bought FIFA 20 and i am proud of it cuz i will now have a 24/7 online playing streak (Compared to when i bought FIFA 17 in 2018 and 18 on 2019, which, at those times, were one edition behind) because i have the newest FIFA game

Why is that sudden idea of EA to let Steam have their games on it's platform? Some sort of problem or anything?

I am scared, not because my favorite games are now on Steam (That's actually a good thing, cuz if it does, then i swear to god i'll go back to Battlefield), but because maybe, JUST MAYBE, the Origin platform will close, or something.

(PS: And also, as a side note, i would like to know if the games that i already own on Origin and are available on Steam, could be some sort of linked to my Steam)

I'm sorry, i am just paranoid after i shockingly realized that Battlefield 4, along with the two Battlefront games and many other BFs is now on Steam, something that only belongs to EA

(PS #2: I had this thought because a toxic Steam under posted on the discussions board of Battlefield 4 that EA is kinda crazy for this suddent movement and had done it because they are nearly bankrupt, dunno if it was said either jokingly or not)

Message 1 of 5 (482 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: EA/Origin's downfall? Please no

@Tanalbi nah. it's called expanding. You want your games on more stores, actually, as that would bring a larger profit.

EA, just wanted some of those money flowing on Steam, so they went back to Steam. Origin won't disappear, as any purchase made on EA's own store means that EA gets 100%  from the sale. I am pretty sure that you might see the EA's games on Epic games, too, not only on Steam. Don't believe rumors. Just think logically

Also... Most of the games brought recently on Steam will force the user to have an Origin account and have the Origin client open while playing. Same as with most Ubi games on Steam, that require the uPlay client open to play their titles. And Ubi does that since, what?! Forever?! And they have strong sales on their store and client, as a lot of people want to avoid keeping more than one client open at the same time.

So nothing new, just EA making more money, by putting their games on more stores. So, don't worry.

EA sold and sells quite a lot on Origin. But a lot of potential customers stay with Steam. So they cater to those, too, now, getting a smaller profit, but still profiting. Simple economics. US was really big on exclusivity, but in the recent years, the mentality changed. They want their product on more stores, as that means more sales. So, slowly, exclusivity deals go down the drain, being replaced with deals for multiple, strong stores (it doesn't applies only for video games, but for a wide range of products, from dentistry to electronics and so on). The trend started a while ago, and proved successful in other domains, the gaming industry is catching up only now.

Another example: MS sold their own games only through the MS Store. Did MS Store closed when they've started to release their games on Steam?! Did they go bankrupt?! No. They are just making more money.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (448 Views)

All Replies

@Tanalbi nah. it's called expanding. You want your games on more stores, actually, as that would bring a larger profit.

EA, just wanted some of those money flowing on Steam, so they went back to Steam. Origin won't disappear, as any purchase made on EA's own store means that EA gets 100%  from the sale. I am pretty sure that you might see the EA's games on Epic games, too, not only on Steam. Don't believe rumors. Just think logically

Also... Most of the games brought recently on Steam will force the user to have an Origin account and have the Origin client open while playing. Same as with most Ubi games on Steam, that require the uPlay client open to play their titles. And Ubi does that since, what?! Forever?! And they have strong sales on their store and client, as a lot of people want to avoid keeping more than one client open at the same time.

So nothing new, just EA making more money, by putting their games on more stores. So, don't worry.

EA sold and sells quite a lot on Origin. But a lot of potential customers stay with Steam. So they cater to those, too, now, getting a smaller profit, but still profiting. Simple economics. US was really big on exclusivity, but in the recent years, the mentality changed. They want their product on more stores, as that means more sales. So, slowly, exclusivity deals go down the drain, being replaced with deals for multiple, strong stores (it doesn't applies only for video games, but for a wide range of products, from dentistry to electronics and so on). The trend started a while ago, and proved successful in other domains, the gaming industry is catching up only now.

Another example: MS sold their own games only through the MS Store. Did MS Store closed when they've started to release their games on Steam?! Did they go bankrupt?! No. They are just making more money.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 5 (449 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Tanalbi I can assure you that EA is not in any trouble and putting EA games on Steam was so that our players have a choice of where they play their games.

If interested in the future of EA then be sure to turn into EA Play next week for a look at all the existing games we have coming soon: https://www.ea.com/ea-play-live

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 5 (431 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Well, if ORIGIN ever try to cancel their services (servers etc.) and all of us could not play games anymore.......THAN I WANT A REFUND.
AND I'm not JOKING.

Message 4 of 5 (380 Views)

★★ Novice

And... what if they don't? I'd be enraged too if i won't have not even a damn nickel if Origin falls down and all my bought games are meaningless!

Message 5 of 5 (369 Views)