EA Desktop app installation location (the client, not the games)

by sfried0

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA Launcher doesn´t install in choosen directory

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

If i chosse another directory then the default one the EA Launcher is installed to the default directory in C:\program files

If i cut and copy the files into my choosen directory G:\EA the launcher is giving an error-message. Which files and or registry-entrys do i have to change that the ea-launcher is working within my choosen direcory?

I don´t wan´t to install any app on C:\ I have 11TB free space on G:\ (it´s an 18TB WD red). Steam, Battle.net, Ubisoft-Launcher, RockstarLauncher, GOG-GalaxyLauncher , EpicGamesLauncher are running well on thig drive G:\

Message 31 of 186 (11,184 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: EA Launcher doesn´t install in choosen directory

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, all. Standard smile

At the moment, the only thing you can change during the installation process of the EA app is the default install location of games, which is mentioned by following the Advanced installation process. At the moment you cannot change the install directory of the EA app itself.

EA_LeeuwAHQ

View in thread

Message 48 of 186 (16,213 Views)

All Replies

EA Desktop app installation location (the client, not the games)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Everytime I double click on the EADesktopInstaller.exe file, EA Desktop would automatically install itself on the default C:\ or System drive, with no prompt or option to change the installation directory to a different drive or path.

Would it be possible to install the EA Desktop app in another location other than the default? I actually wanted to separate all my system apps (which are all installed in a small capacity M.2 drive) from my actual "work" apps (which are in a separate SSD), but I find installers like these that don't even prompt me about the install location to be rather intrusive (much like many other apps that use SquirellInstaller or other "quick" install options).

Message 1 of 186 (25,206 Views)

Re: EA Desktop app installation location (the client, not the games)

Champion (Retired)
Hi @sfried0

Have you tried moving the entire EA Desktop folder to the location you want? You should then be able to launch it from there and pin it to your task bar etc.
Message 2 of 186 (25,141 Views)

★ Apprentice

@CarbonCarl 

The problem with doing that is that the Start Menu icon that launches the app will no longer work, not to mention all of the registry links that point to it will be broken (and also the Windows will be unable to uninstall the program, update it correctly, etc.).

(This applies to many other applications btw, not just the EA Desktop app. It's generaly bad practice to just cut-and-paste folders that come from the Program Files/Program Files x86 folder.)

Message 3 of 186 (25,131 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@sfried0

I know what you mean. I will have to check mine as I also use a separate drive for everything usually.
Message 4 of 186 (25,128 Views)

★ Guide

There's hoping that EA will change how the installer works to allow you choosing custom install location.

In the mean time, as a workaround if you want to go through the hoops, you could edit the system environment variables to indicate that the Program Files is elsewhere, install EA Desktop, and then change the variable back to original.

Message 5 of 186 (25,095 Views)

@GODJonez 

You and anyone that is interested in this feature should "me too" this OP in the feedback forum and maybe leave a commend.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 6 of 186 (25,089 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've already made a separate Program Files on another directory where I manually install all my other applications on. I was also able to change some of the default folder directories after a clean install of my PC, but some folders can't be relocated (such as parts of %AppData% and other system folders) unless you install your OS in that directory.

Editing the system environment variables might also break, if not cause Windows components to outright fail. In fact anything involved with fiddling the Windows Registry could end up corrupting data. Also the mentioned method of switching variables back and forth won't work since Windows is dependent on knowing where those variables are.

Message 7 of 186 (25,070 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@sfried0 Good question. I don't want EA desktop to be installed only on disk C. I want it to be installed on disk D. I hope the official update can change the function of the installation path at will.
Message 8 of 186 (23,024 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@sfried0 Yes, indeed
Message 9 of 186 (23,023 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help