Original Post

EA And Sci Fi: Make A Mass Effect Movie Or A TV Series Petition

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

[Removed, petitions are not allowed. - Admin.]

Message 1 of 9 (1,458 Views)

Re: EA And Sci Fi: Make A Mass Effect Movie Or A TV Series Petition

Hero

Legendary Pictures has the Mass Effect movie rights, so it's up to them.

A Mass Effect movie was announced in 2010, but it never happened (not counting the animated movie about James Vega).

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 9 (1,423 Views)

★ Guide
Usually when a company has rights to a movie and nothing has happened for this amount of time it's not going to, especially since series popularity dipped after Andromeda.
Message 3 of 9 (1,412 Views)

Hero

I agree. It's been in development hell far too long.

I would personally prefer a TV series to a movie, though, but I think TV needs to evolve further so that it's feasible to do Mass Effect on a TV budget. In any case, I think it should be a tie-in, not a straight adaptation of the games.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 9 (1,409 Views)

★ Guide
An animated series, be it hand drawn or CG would probably be the best bet. Even successful scifi shows get cancelled due to fx budgets being too high.
Message 5 of 9 (1,405 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@AeromusPrime22 wrote:
... Even successful scifi shows get cancelled due to fx budgets being too high.

Maybe, but I think that's rarely the case.  The producers factor in those costs from the start.

We've had a number of long-running sci-fi TV successes:

Battlestar Galactica (redux) - 4 seasons, 75 episodes
Babylon 5 - 5 seasons, 110 episodes
ST TNG - 7 seasons, 178 episodes
ST DSN - 7 seasons, 178 episodes
Westworld (3 seasons, 20 episodes, still in production)

And look at Dr. Who; a show with excellent writing and a (large) devoted fan base can succeed despite using some pretty cheap (and cheesy) FX!

Message 6 of 9 (1,400 Views)

★ Guide
Well there are different factors, but Farscspe and The Expanse where both killed because SyFy didnt want to pay. You can calculate costs but if shows get popular actors and what not will want more money.

Star Trek really isnt a good example as its got such a strong fanbase, it csn pretty nuch succeed with anything. B5, well its amazing what Straczynski was able to do with his budget and season 5 happened by the skin of its teeth.
Message 7 of 9 (1,383 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@AeromusPrime22 wrote:
Well there are different factors, but Farscspe and The Expanse where both killed because SyFy didnt want to pay. You can calculate costs but if shows get popular actors and what not will want more money.

Star Trek really isnt a good example as its got such a strong fanbase, it csn pretty nuch succeed with anything. B5, well its amazing what Straczynski was able to do with his budget and season 5 happened by the skin of its teeth.

Well, actors wanting more money has nothing to do with the FX budget.  And having "a strong fan base" is important for any on-going media production.

I'm just saying that there are lots of reasons sci-fi shows and movies succeed or fail.  For projects that get greenlighted the FX budget isn't likely to make the top five in that list! 

Message 8 of 9 (1,350 Views)

★ Guide
Normally, probably not, but it does happen. Farscspe was one (all the cg, puppets and new aliens added up). But yes, sometimes the company just screws over the show like Firefly, Space Above and Beyond and Crusade.
Message 9 of 9 (1,298 Views)