Re: EA Abandoning BF 2042

by Mackstan71

Original Post

★★★★ Pro

I think for once, it would be time for EA and Dice to admit to the mistakes with 2042 and apologize for it. To clearly state what we still get and that the next title will return the the BF roots. It could be a simple statement and would get at least a lot of respect from the gamers for them doing so. 

But of course in the real world, things look differently. The Team is still in denial. They posting a new Heli skin all proudly. I mean its borderline delusional. Of course its just a game. Its not the end. But for one, I will never purchase anther EA title again unless trusted review sites give it a go. Damage is done. The seasons are adding more insult to injury, IMO. The content is less than a keto diet. 

Message 31 of 39 (476 Views)

★ Pro

Previous quarter EA earnings release, Bloomberg financial news posted a front page online article of EA results and coined the term "BattleField FLOP".  I'd post the article but it requires a paid subscription.

Therefore it makes logical sense that EA avoided any mention of BF 2042 this quarter as the "BattleField FLOP" was both a financial and PR disaster...

Message 32 of 39 (461 Views)

★★ Expert

@A-RAF2019 wrote:

Tom Henderson, who got every single information right before release, said that they only had a skeleton crew working on the game. He also leaked that a new BF is already under development, which aligns well with the job posting for an experienced designer for story-based fps on a new Studio (something like that). EA said it is not true, that they have a full dedicated team, and that new manager said that BF2042 is their top priority. They also said the game would be awesome. The game was terrible. There are not enough updates or content.

EA, DICE: 

WE KNOW YOU ARE LYING. 

Your lies and how you disown BF2042 an annoyance, and embarrassing. 

Not to be pedantic, but it was Jeff Grubb, industry insider formerly of Gamesbeat and now at Giantbomb, who was quoted with the skeleton crew quote [by Tom Henderson]. 

Message 33 of 39 (450 Views)

Champion

@ATFGunr wrote:
@7gates_of_hellWhen 3 came out, and the pay to play DLCs with new maps and weapons, I happily laid out the cost for every single one. Didn’t love every single map or weapon but had no issue paying for the DLCs. The focus on micro transactions is helping put the nails in the coffin. Vanilla BF3 started with more maps and weapons that 2042 will have at the end of the season 2, and after paying for Gold I’d be unwilling to shell out for DLCs now. I have no intention of buying skins or any of that bs. I’m not even sure why they went away from the DLC model?

Premium DLC would get my vote every single time over Live Service.

It was money well spent imho and really helped improve the longevity of the game.

A large number of maps always ensured you didn't get bored with the game, BF2042 would currently have 19 maps with Premium rather than 8.

Like you I don't spend money on skins as I don't believe they add value to the game in the same way maps do.

I personally would welcome a return to DLC in future BF's.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 34 of 39 (426 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Buzzfunk wrote:

I think for once, it would be time for EA and Dice to admit to the mistakes with 2042 and apologize for it. To clearly state what we still get and that the next title will return the the BF roots. It could be a simple statement and would get at least a lot of respect from the gamers for them doing so. 

But of course in the real world, things look differently. The Team is still in denial. They posting a new Heli skin all proudly. I mean its borderline delusional. Of course its just a game. Its not the end. But for one, I will never purchase anther EA title again unless trusted review sites give it a go. Damage is done. The seasons are adding more insult to injury, IMO. The content is less than a keto diet. 

Apologize??....nah, the finger will be pointed at us!.....we are getting the blame of this major failure. Each morning they look at themself in the mirror like the FONZ ( for the youngsters..google it). The silence on the server browser shows me, we are nothing but just a number. The silence the console player are getting shows, they just dont care. And yet there is nothing done about the hitregg/desync/ttd/ttk etc isseu, that the only hitmark that will be registered is the kick that we recieve in the lower region. Yes...this game is slowly comming to his end, but o no no...its not their fault.

Message 35 of 39 (406 Views)

Re: EA ABANDONING BF 2042

★★★★★ Expert

@ragnarok013 wrote:

@edgecrusherO0we could make the same comparison with 2042 right now, one map per quarter isn't good support (especially compared with the Premium system) but it's still support but it really shows the game is dead and DICE is just phoning in the support so they can tell investors it's a live game. We all expect content to be drip fed under a live service but this is Chinese Water Torture levels of dripping.

Recent Bioware departures have been in the news both recently and over the past year affecting SWTOR, Dragon Age, and even Mass Effect. It's concerning to say the lease given Anthem and ME:A's reception a few years ago.

'''New content drip fed at Chinese water torture levels of dripping...''''  

Epic phrasing @ragnarok013 !!!  😂👍

And yes true also regarding the staff turnover at DICE has been very substantial.  Both in the years during the development of BF2042, as it started already at onset of BFV dev.  And then further picked up from there.  As BF2042 launched, there was both the deliberate wash of responsible folks that were let go but also a very substantial number of DICE staff across many disciplines that did not feel encouraged to stay on for more.  A high number of open roles currently being posted...

Regarding specifically the BF2042 dev and run support, then I do not see the open roles targeted for this.

There are however many that appear to be to support dev of application/infrastructure for mobile BF gaming.  But that will then be for future versions in the franchise.

Message 36 of 39 (367 Views)

★★ Expert

@Buzzfunk wrote:

I think for once, it would be time for EA and Dice to admit to the mistakes with 2042 and apologize for it.

That would/should have been in the Feb "Road Ahead" communication.

It wasn't. DICE is incapable of humility as a studio, as are apparently a great many of its developers, at least in management/leadership roles.

They don't make mistakes, the community just mistakenly doesn't like the amazingly perfect thing that DICE made. There will be no formal apology for lying to the community and selling us a half finished, poorly designed game. Ever.

DICE doesn't owe us that, and they don't care enough about the community to extend the bare-minimum courtesy. 

Message 37 of 39 (341 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It doesn't really matter. There are so many people responsible for this mess. The content directors and producers are just employees, they can leave DICE and go to another studio. So it doesn't matter if EA drops BF or if EA drops DICE. If they do, they would sell the IP to someone else. However,  the same employees that were part of this mess can just switch companies.

Message 38 of 39 (338 Views)

★★★ Guide

Battlefield will end up going the way of Medal of Honor.

Message 39 of 39 (298 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help