Does anyone want to talk Spore strategy?

by BugWomanZ

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Does anyone want to talk Spore strategy?

★★★★ Novice

In one of my current games in hard Civilization level, I'm at a place of standstill where I think if I try to change things, I'm going to get clobbered, but if I don't, then I can't advance. I got to that point, because after many tries, it was the only way I didn't get wiped out.

This made me wonder if anyone had any good advice on strategies for Spore. I'm interested in any consequence strategies and any levels of the game.

So does anyone out there want to talk Spore strategy?

Message 1 of 4 (696 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Does anyone want to talk Spore strategy?

★★★ Novice

well first off what is your path and OG stratagy? you may just want to wait and build up funds to make an army OR perhaps build those fund to get into talks with another nation to ally.

biggest thing imo, start making allies fast along side getting the vents and tribes, don't go aggressive at first, getting some help to then take down other nations later is always best, might even want to go the econimic route and just be a trade nation that has a strong military and turtle the entire time, only using your tanks to defend or trade routes.

alternatively you could try to very quickly take out all tribes in your area to keep the vents for yourself, hopefully you start on an island with a port city, this way you don't have any immidite compatision for resources and can focus on building up for things like global warfare if it comes to that.

I know its best to have at least one ally at the end as they will suggest to join forces once the non allied nation is taken out

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (659 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

well first off what is your path and OG stratagy? you may just want to wait and build up funds to make an army OR perhaps build those fund to get into talks with another nation to ally.

biggest thing imo, start making allies fast along side getting the vents and tribes, don't go aggressive at first, getting some help to then take down other nations later is always best, might even want to go the econimic route and just be a trade nation that has a strong military and turtle the entire time, only using your tanks to defend or trade routes.

alternatively you could try to very quickly take out all tribes in your area to keep the vents for yourself, hopefully you start on an island with a port city, this way you don't have any immidite compatision for resources and can focus on building up for things like global warfare if it comes to that.

I know its best to have at least one ally at the end as they will suggest to join forces once the non allied nation is taken out

Message 2 of 4 (660 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

sneezelord, I'm religious and friendly... somehow that's what I usually end up as, and on normal mode, I can generally make this work and convert everyone, especially once I get the "make a city entirely unhappy" ability. Small towns, especially, are fairly easy to convert after that. Interestingly, in religious mode, I only get a few spice nodes at first as it's easier to stay under the radar that way, and after the early part of the level, they don't make me as much money as the cities, so I generally let them get captured  without worrying about them once my cities get going and really profitable. Especially since as soon as I send a vehicle or two to tend to the spice node, that seems to be a signal for a city to come attack me, and my vehicles are way over there rather than defending my city.

On this hard mode, though, I got clobbered quite a few times... sometimes I had two different cities attacking me at once even though it wasn't that long into the level. I barely had time to get my city together and some money to get vehicles and guns for the city before I started getting attacked. After a few rounds of that, I figured out who was the main aggressor and so the next time, I got some help ganging up on that city... the other city helping me just happened to be that other city's enemy, so we became allies. Long story short, I now have 3 cities - not enough to get airships unfortunately - and my ally has the rest. I have LOTS of money, but  not that much of a fleet. I have been able to keep the other city as a total ally (highest level ally) so far by giving them gifts - no problem since even good gifts are like 4000 a pop, but I have almost 150,000 and climbing so no problem. But eventually I think the game is going to throw a curve, and they'll say "wait a minute, time to attack." And of course I can't win unless I get all of the cities. As soon as I attack one though, we'll be at war rather than allies and they'll send their spaceships over to clobber me.

I've never had this happen before in the previous 2 or 3 games at this level I've done so far. Usually when it's just me and another city left, we are total enemies by that point. At least now I'm at a good starting point once my city is clobbered, though, so I don't have to start from the beginning of civilization anymore. Heh. It may end up that I stay in this stalemate though. An interesting and entirely new predicament.

Message 3 of 4 (650 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh, and another good strategy for converting a city (because sometimes you don't have the "make a city unhappy" ability yet) is to get a city when it's just been conquered, especially by a military city. This strategy has worked well for me so far.

This takes a little money - usually about 8 - 10,000 will do it. So I watch for when a city is getting attacked. Coastal cities are best because you can send ships. Once they are conquered, they are usually unhappy, and military cities, especially, tend to conquer and go on to the next, so the city is still unhappy usually. Sometimes I even send my ships halfway and just wait for the opposing city's ships to conquer and leave. Then you rush over there and convert the city. Depending on the size of the city, it usually takes between 4 and 6 ships. As soon as the city is converted, you give them entertainment to make them very happy - you can always make them more profitable later - and as many canons as you can give them to defend themselves. Sometimes an opposing city will try to attack, but with the canons and ships it's usually not too much problem to win the skirmish.

Then you leave them a ship or two - because usually an opposing city is going to attack one of your other cities soon after that - and send the rest to where needed. It also helps if you have about 2000 leftover to heal your ships quickly (Healing ability is the first one you get with religious path). Once you fend off that attack if there is one, you now have a new city and generally can increase your vehicle numbers and sometimes get a new ability.

The second religious ability is to make an enemy not an enemy for a while... it's a good strategy to use that soon after a conversion if you have an aggressive enemy, because then your cities can earn some much needed money while the other city is distracted and you can buy canons and vehicles to defend yourself.

Message 4 of 4 (645 Views)