Does anyone understand how skill based match making works ?

by johnmiceter

Original Post

Does anyone understand how skill based match making works ?

★★ Guide

Its still in pubs isnt it, or have they changed it?

Im trying to work out how the game always gives me team mates who barely know how to aim, or grab an armour, heal up, follow ping or anything.

DEAR APEX DEVELOPERS: "IM REALLY NOT THAT GOOD OK" so stop giving me teammates like this every single game. And every game im in games where the enemies that kill me have 20, 30, 40k kills and are total sweats.

The team mates I get should not even be in this lobby and be matched with easier players. I even tested this and made a new account and by the time I reached level 10, I was Vsing the same players I would on my normal account.

This game makes no sense and if they can't do sbmm properly, just remove it completely and just make it the first 60 players in queue start the game and doesnt matter how good or bad they are.

Message 1 of 15 (410 Views)

Re: Does anyone understand how skill based match making works ?

[ Edited ]
Champion

How does sbmm work? Kinda like this.

"Low skill? Here have bot lobbies, oh and give us your money pls ^.^.   Average or somewhat above? Time to suffer my friend.  Top tier player? Prepare to sweat your balls off..but we'll throw you the odd stomper lobby."

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 15 (390 Views)

@johnmiceter I have an idea based off of what I have read online. If you're playing on the Aus servers don't expect SBMM to be as effective as it would be in other regions such as Europe or the US. The issue with the servers in Australia is the small population and distance from other populations. It leads to slow servers which ultimately leads to more relaxed or mix matched SBMM.  

Basically SBMM tries to put a match together based on the skill parameters they use. But it also has a timer going, so instead of you waiting around in queue for 10+ minutes it will piece together a match with low skill players. 

Lots of Australians play on the US Servers. I have friends who will play with me on the Oregon servers. They deal with lag but we can still have some fun to some degree. 

@MandatoryIDtag Come on now the top tier servers are not that baaad. I bounce in and out of them and have some success in them from time to time. The margin for error is slim in those lobbies and you can't get away with doing dumb things like stand still in the open. Every once in a while you bump into the all pred squad and they make you feel like a total noob. But it keeps your ego in check and reminds you, you might be above average but you're not the hot stuff you thought you were.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 15 (383 Views)

Champion

@DarthValtrex  Idk man, I just know if I have some semblance of a good game,I get punished for the rest of the evening lol. XD

P.s got your friend request yesterday bro, give me a few days to shake off my apex rust and we'll have to have a few matches together. Probably will have to be the weekend though due to timezone constraints if that's cool with you?

Message 4 of 15 (381 Views)

@MandatoryIDtag I don't care if you're rusty, I don't play great every round. Some rounds I do really good, most I do average and the rest I look like a noob. But it's that 5-8% of matches in which I post 2k's that makes it all worth while.

Message 5 of 15 (378 Views)

Champion

@DarthValtrex  Lmao, I played a little last night *when the game wasn't bugging out on me majorly* and everything felt alien. My recoil control was non existent my sensitivity felt off and I was looting like a potato, the rust has formed thick my friend. XD

Too much cod I think.

Message 6 of 15 (376 Views)

@MandatoryIDtag LOL, only one way to get back into it. Plus you can just run the spitfire that thing has almost no recoil now, pair it with a Volt you should be solid. When you feel bold and want to shoot walls pick up the 99.

Message 7 of 15 (369 Views)

★★ Guide
@DarthValtrex So do you know what the SBMM parameters are? This is what im trying to work out.

So say in your region where you play, would a level 10 be matched in your game ? In my level 10 account I have a 5.5kd and highest kills 19 and had a fair few wins in a row, but the level 10, 20s, 30s, 200s I get feel like they dont even know how to play the game. How does a level 80 plus guy run around with no armour after I pinged like 4 or 5 different ones and then runs into a fight and die instantly?
Message 8 of 15 (347 Views)

@johnmiceter No they have never released any specifics on what SBMM parameters are, I have ideas based on what I see in game. But it would just be speculation. I think they are fairly tight lipped with SBMM because they don't want people trying to find ways around it.

Lots of people are going to have bad rounds and lots of people are not going to be posting 5.5KD. So the skill gap between you and 99% of the player base is going to be large no matter what lobby you end up in.

Message 9 of 15 (342 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

I'd form a group of players with different opinions and which represent most of the play styles we see in Apex. I'd then lock this group in a fallout shelter and not release them until they come up wit the perfect SBMM.

...1000 years later,  neohumans will dig up this weird chamber and debate for years whether the people inside were prisoners, dead already, if they killed each other or died of age Standard smile

Message 10 of 15 (339 Views)