Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Do you think Anthem will be made f2p?

by RogueMaster

Original Post

Do you think Anthem will be made f2p?

★★★ Guide

I guess there is a rumor going around that EA/Bioware will announce Anthem as f2p at this years E3. Im curious how others here might feel about this IF it ends up being true. I personally wouldn't mind IF they do it right like Digital Extremes has done with Warframe. But what makes Warframe one of (if not the) best f2p games out now is how you can trade items for the in game currency.

I dont see us being allowed to trade and sell stuff for in game currency in anthem like you can in Warframe so Bioware would have to be more generous with the rate we earn the in game currency...even more then they are now. I would assume everyone who paid full price for the game or already owns it in some way would be compensated if Anthem switches to f2p.

How they go about doing it is another question. I assume they will come up with different bundles at different prices and compensate accordingly. If you pre ordered with all the goodies for 80 bucks then you get a 80 dollar bundle. Or if you paid full price then you get a 60 dollar bundle or of you got it on sale then you get a 30 dollar bundle. But for someone like me it could be more complicated.

I got anthem for free but then decided to show support and bought 40 dollars worth of crystals. A week later I saw we could upgrade to the LoD edition so I bought that for 20. I would think that would mean I get a 60 dollar bundle but who knows. I'm sure there were some who got the game for free and never spent any money on it and if so what would they get then. 

I havent owned any games that went f2p before so maybe someone here has a better idea of what could happen if Anthem does go f2p. I can see this being both good and bad for the game at first but if it's done right like Warframe then I think it would definitely be better for Anthem in the long run.

Message 1 of 12 (337 Views)

★★★ Guide
seeing how they don't charge for content most likely not. They could pull it off if done right but then it will have to have a system overhaul on lvling and javalins and such. give them ways to include a pay to skip or pay to instant craft like warframe.
Message 2 of 12 (328 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I have my doubts on f2p

Think of the No Mans Sky disaster and look at it today... selling at  decent price and actually getting great reviews now when everyone claimed it dead, buried and cremated after just first 3 months on the market!

As Anthem is fixed and improved on with new content added and QoL issues taken care of, I'm pretty certain players will sneak back.

I'm also confidant new players will pay for the game in future when the devs get their act together and get past the release disappointments..

We know BW are revamping the loot and reward system and working on new content.

There's so much that's already great like combat, flying etc.so imo there's a good foundation to improve on.

Message 3 of 12 (301 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

F2P is a [Edit - Admin.] Better to kill it entirely than go F2P.

Message 4 of 12 (285 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

NVM

Message 5 of 12 (239 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I am sure that this game will be F2P very soon.

They will try to squeeze out every cent they can get to increase their return of investment ratio.

Message 6 of 12 (226 Views)

@RoninJed wrote:

I guess there is a rumor going around that EA/Bioware will announce Anthem as f2p at this years E3. ...

Some people made some stuff up.

Sounds like utter nonsense to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 7 of 12 (214 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@RogueMaster wrote:

F2P is a [Edit - Admin.] Better to kill it entirely than go F2P.

I saw the original post.  I am confused by the edit. Was it caused by an edit, that prompted another edit? The original post did not contain bad language, or anything else that would warrant an edit. 

*puzzled*

Message 8 of 12 (196 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

For F2P game you have to have aggressive monetization and artificial progress blocks to make you use the shop.

Somehow I don't see how making anthem more annoying for everyone is going to fix anything.

Its a dead dumbster fire game, just leave it and play some Warframe or something, at least devs there care.

Message 9 of 12 (193 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

If the rumors are true, they would have to compensate in some form, those who purchased the game prior to Anthem becoming a F2P model. Because they already sold the biggest chunk of Anthem copies already, if they wanted to obtain anymore assets, F2P could bring in more through micro transactions of some sort. The question is, is making this F2P going to really help or hurt Anthem, or is it to make it continuously profitable even by small or potentially large margins? If you want to flood your player base by making a game suddenly F2P, then that may work. If they want to milk the profits from any means possible, then making it F2P may be a direction they would want to go, especially after Anthems initial reviews have tanked and copies in stores are being sold at a big reduction in price. We will see.

Message 10 of 12 (159 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help