Re: Disappointing romance after the hype. Liam deserved better.

by JucieN7

Original Post

★ Guide

@Rappeldrache wrote:

I have to ask, please:

Are the romances for males / straight and males / homosexuell and female / homosexuell better? It's a serious question, I really don't know it ...

About the appearance of the characters, to be honest ... they are ALL ugly, for me. Yes, the females, too. Even the Turians have strange faces ... "stone-washed" somehow.

Sorry, but I played Dragon Age: Inquisition before and I can't understand HOW they could have sutch unreal faces now in MEA ..... years later and DA:I is still so mutch better .... for my personal taste / opinion.

Here a dialoge with Dorian, my favorite buddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtBT1mtBhLY . Not the best Video and example, I'm sorry. Few mods inside. And the voices are so mutch .... more real! In German they are brilliant, I don't know how they have been in English. In MEA the voices are ... ok .... they don't impress me.

I mean, look at this picture:

The best cutscenes are for the Cora and Peebee romance. Cora is straight and although Peebee counts as bi BW used the same scenario for both gender - and well, works great for males but looks awkward and silly for females (and honestly, who could have foreseen that? Oh well...).
Jaal is nice, won't complain too much because it actually IS so much better than we females normally get as "hot romance cutscene".

About the "ugly" issue. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and I can live with the fact that there aren't any top models around. I prefer a good story over some "beautiful" but otherwise bland characters. But sadly we don't get a good story for Liam or Reyes.

About the voices. Actually I love my femRyder VA. I was a bit worried about it because I love how Jennifer Hales makes the femShep so "alive". FemRyder actually did a very good job, too. Also not much to complain about the others although I have my problems with Suvi - I'm wating for the moment that the faithful scientist finally transform into a rough and tough Cait...
Don't know much about the german version. I started it (I always give it a try, maybe some day... there should always be hope...), cringed. Jumped to the original version and never looked back.

Message 41 of 55 (1,404 Views)

★ Guide

@RaeLarkham wrote:

Right? Or Jaal being right there with a romanced Sara and before she dies, he's all "It's been a pleasure". Seriously?

Well the Angara frequently confront death and believe in continuation,  so they seem pretty chill as a species around it,  and it wasn't like you were going to stay dead.   Just a few seconds and you're back on your feet,  which they knew should happen.  

Imo people were overplaying it.    He just stopped your heart for a moment to break the connection and restarted it.

Message 42 of 55 (1,403 Views)

★★★ Guide

@friffy wrote:

Garrus is a very nice romance. I love Garrus. And come on, why are you complaining? You get a sweet, deep and romantic headbutt in ME2 and it's manly to wear armor in bed, not to say "hot" - just think of the poor boys, they have to look at a genetically enhanced Barbie Doll in lingerie or get their uniform smudged all over from Jacks makeup. No thank you, that's disgusting! Almost as digusting as this single kiss (!) you have to share with Thane in his romance. Sooo much action, almost unbearable.
Wink
Although I hate ME3 I think BW did a great job with the tango. I love it. And I also love Jaal - I like his "personality" so I live with the fakt that - again - he's an "alien". It would have been nice to get something like that plus a more "humanoid" body. Or have an appropriate romance with our "humanoids". Liam, Reyes.

And while we at it, a bit more interactions in general, a "renegade" kiss interrupt, some free time in your luxurious but useless Pathfinder quarter, an evening in one of the many bars, or just a stroll around the marked on Aya. Much more than just some "romance" lines and that's all. Always feels so "forced". Maybe there shouldn't be any romances at all, so nobody has a reason to complain about bad romances or unfair and unbalanced treadment. Although I would miss it I could live with it. And no, I can't just pretend there are no romances or avoid them - as long as I have the opportunity to hit a "flirt" button I will... I am not that strong to restrain myself... even though I know I will be deeply disappointed in the end.

totally agree with that. And the Garrus romance is still my favorite one. Especially because it develops over the time. And this development of friendship/romance is missing all over Andromeda. 
I remember BioWare saying like "there is more spare time you can spend with your team in the Vortex or whatsover" and I mean I can't even invite my romance into my room or ask for a date to Vortex. I mean come on? whats the problem with one "free" date per romance?

Message 43 of 55 (1,470 Views)

★ Guide

Let's be real though... he doesn't deserve better.  He shouldn't even be a character.  He's an utter waste of space, war criminal and quite frankly unenjoyable.  (He was always being a dink to Verta, I just plain don't like him).

He is the Kaiden, Jacob and James Vega of Androma.  There's always one character in the games who contributes little to nothing to overall story and we could easily not have them, coincidentally always the first male squadmate - they are just bland and uninteresting.  In the case of Liam though - I think this was their attempt to have a celebrity in the game for some people who buy based purely on recognizing somebody in the game.

He sucks as a character though.  He deserves nothing but an airlock.   

Message 44 of 55 (1,465 Views)

★★ Pro

@Sirenapples wrote:

@RaeLarkham wrote:

Right? Or Jaal being right there with a romanced Sara and before she dies, he's all "It's been a pleasure". Seriously?

Well the Angara frequently confront death and believe in continuation,  so they seem pretty chill as a species around it,  and it wasn't like you were going to stay dead.   Just a few seconds and you're back on your feet,  which they knew should happen.  

Imo people were overplaying it.    He just stopped your heart for a moment to break the connection and restarted it.

When you stop someones heart the sre clinically dead.

There is no garantee they will be revived again, why do you think the doc freaked out? She was the only one who did tho

Message 45 of 55 (1,460 Views)

★★★ Guide

Nykara360 schrieb:

@Sirenapples wrote:

@RaeLarkham wrote:

There is no garantee they will be revived again, why do you think the doc freaked out? She was the only one who did tho

Yeah that made me mad. I mean everyone is like "cool, whats next?" I mean seriously? 

Message 46 of 55 (1,457 Views)

★★ Pro

@lagruej wrote:

Let's be real though... he doesn't deserve better.  He shouldn't even be a character.  He's an utter waste of space, war criminal and quite frankly unenjoyable.  (He was always being a dink to Verta, I just plain don't like him).

He is the Kaiden, Jacob and James Vega of Androma.  There's always one character in the games who contributes little to nothing to overall story and we could easily not have them, coincidentally always the first male squadmate - they are just bland and uninteresting.  In the case of Liam though - I think this was their attempt to have a celebrity in the game for some people who buy based purely on recognizing somebody in the game.

Your welcome to dislike the Liam character but please take it to a different thread.

This is about Liam's romance and apparently for those who - overall like his character but where dissapointed in his romance. Not a place for Liam hate. 😳

Message 47 of 55 (1,455 Views)

★★ Pro

@JucieN7 wrote:

Nykara360 schrieb:

@Sirenapples wrote:

@RaeLarkham wrote:

Yeah that made me mad. I mean everyone is like "cool, whats next?" I mean seriously? 

Doing a Jaal romance pt at the moment because I want the romance achievement and all it is doing is making me sad for what Liam or Reyes or both could have got but didn't.

Like the scene just now, she got to say how worried she was that Jaal got shot, or almost shot, during his loyalty mission.

Like seriously what is with the lack of balance? Jaal romance is progressing how you would expect one to progress.

Please bioware / ea take note of the good romances like Jaals to do better with / fix the others.

Message 48 of 55 (1,431 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@lagruej wrote:

I must be the minority because Vega was one of my favorites. And Kaidan and his romance is probably my favorite out of all bioware games. Liam is okay. He's funny, and overall quite enjoyable in my opinion. So no airlocks for Liam in my playthroughs! The only thing about your post that I agree with is the part about Jacob. I guess who is interesting/enjoyable and who isn't, is a matter of personal taste. However, the thread is not about that. It is about a fact we can all agree on: the romance (for those of us who wanted to pursue one) was not good enough.

Message 49 of 55 (1,421 Views)

★★ Pro

@sfe959 wrote:

@lagruej wrote:

I must be the minority because Vega was one of my favorites. And Kaidan and his romance is probably my favorite out of all bioware games. Liam is okay. He's funny, and overall quite enjoyable in my opinion. So no airlocks for Liam in my playthroughs! The only thing about your post that I agree with is the part about Jacob. I guess who is interesting/enjoyable and who isn't, is a matter of personal taste. However, the thread is not about that. It is about a fact we can all agree on: the romance (for those of us who wanted to pursue one) was not good enough.

Kaidan is my fav of all the games, DA, SW and ME.

I also loved Vega and wish he was a romance for sure.

If its a minority, I guess I am there too!

We still count, and deserve decent romances!

Message 50 of 55 (1,415 Views)