Re: Disappointing romance after the hype. Liam deserved better.

by JucieN7

Original Post

★★★ Guide

I guess thats not only a problem with the Liam romance but of all romances or even relationships/friendships

I finshed my second playthrough and had different romances and flirts and with all of them I was disappointed that there are so many moments I expect them to comment on something, but nothing. I mean Ryder is always almost dying or really dying or just doing stupid or badass things and they say nothing about it...no worries when he/she gets hurt or whatsoever.
In a game with such an amount of playtime it's just disappointed to just have 3-5 romantic moments or flirts.
Especially after the marketing was all on the "best romances ever" "Bangdromeda" and stuff like that...
Just disappointing Frown

Message 31 of 55 (1,900 Views)

★★ Guide

I have to ask, please:

Are the romances for males / straight and males / homosexuell and female / homosexuell better? It's a serious question, I really don't know it ...

About the appearance of the characters, to be honest ... they are ALL ugly, for me. Yes, the females, too. Even the Turians have strange faces ... "stone-washed" somehow.

Sorry, but I played Dragon Age: Inquisition before and I can't understand HOW they could have sutch unreal faces now in MEA ..... years later and DA:I is still so mutch better .... for my personal taste / opinion.

Here a dialoge with Dorian, my favorite buddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtBT1mtBhLY . Not the best Video and example, I'm sorry. Few mods inside. And the voices are so mutch .... more real! In German they are brilliant, I don't know how they have been in English. In MEA the voices are ... ok .... they don't impress me.

I mean, look at this picture:

Message 32 of 55 (1,920 Views)

★★ Pro

@Rappeldrache wrote:

I have to ask, please:

Are the romances for males / straight and males / homosexuell and female / homosexuell better? It's a serious question, I really don't know it ...

About the appearance of the characters, to be honest ... they are ALL ugly, for me. Yes, the females, too. Even the Turians have strange faces ... "stone-washed" somehow.

Sorry, but I played Dragon Age: Inquisition before and I can't understand HOW they could have sutch unreal faces now in MEA ..... years later and DA:I is still so mutch better .... for my personal taste / opinion.

Here a dialoge with Dorian, my favorite buddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtBT1mtBhLY . Not the best Video and example, I'm sorry. Few mods inside. And the voices are so mutch .... more real! In German they are brilliant, I don't know how they have been in English. In MEA the voices are ... ok .... they don't impress me.

I mean, look at this picture:

I don't know about the f/f romances. I don't tend to do these, someone else maybe able to answer them. Except from my hubby who did DA:Is and they weren't great (Sera or Josephine was the only options there).

Straight males, right off the bat always get it better. Cassandra in DA:I had one of the best on screen sex scenes in the game. Again in Andromeda, Cora has the best sex scene and she is a human female.

They automatically get more options - Vetra, Cora, Peebee for a start, three SQUAD mate options. Then 2 side romance options (The reporter and an Angara) - thats 5 options compaired to straight females who get 3 options (Reyes, Liam and Jaal) and gay males who get 2. F/F even get 4, peebee, suvi, vetra, keri.

Now Jaal is a decent romance, but again he is an alien, not everyone is into naked alien butts, Liam and Reyes romances are both seriously lacking. Liam's just lacks romance period and Reyes is like its incomplete.

In the original trilogy, Jack, Miranda, Ashley, Liara, Tali for straight males - thats the ones I can remember, all perfectly viable, all carry over, none of them cheat and all can be kept alive. - three of them are human females.

Straight females got - Kaidan, Garrus, Thane  (dies, can't be stopped), Jacob (cheats and runs off with said chick, also can not be stopped ), leaving with 2 viable options across the trilogy only, one of those alien.

The difference between what options straight males get, compaired to the options straight females get is huge. All we are really asking for is at least one human male option that has all the trimmings of a good romance. We don't expect to get as much options as straight males, which make up the bulk of players, but one decent human male romance choice at least would be nice.

Message 33 of 55 (1,912 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@JucieN7 wrote:

@sirexodus84

I played sisRyder and romanced Reyes. The flirting was awesome, but after finisheing his quest there was nothing!
Even in the end of the game there was nothing but a wink! WTF?!

The flirt options are awesome for all romances I have seen so far, but the longterm relationships suck. 
It's really disappointing when your LI does not even have something new to say in 20 hours of gameplay and lots of new achievements. 

I guess in Andromeda you should flirt with everyone and not romance someone seriously -.-

Seems like it, which (I know I keep making this comparison) pales in comparison to Dragon Age Inquisition. There, the relationships actually develope. There's hiccups, there's growth, dialogue during the game that reminds you this relationship is a thing... Hell, you could ask Iron Bull for some sugar whenever you wanted to and while you don't see anything, its great for immersion (and who doesn't like a casual buttslap from your mate anyway!) 

In Andromeda...well... you get reminded you're a thing only during specific cutscenes. Then you're done. Barely any commentary. Some random dialogue you can't even follow up with from your team mates and you're done. It doesn't make sense to me... DA:I is a Bioware game. Different devs and writers, sure, but you mean to tell me they learned nothing from that game? Absolutely no consistency within Bioware? Come on now.

I guess when Liam turned down BroRyder early on in the game it was really just a testament of the "HAHAHA NOPE" we should expect from Bioware and their empty promises. Which sucks. Been a fan of them for a bit, and I still find ME:A fun to play with, but the RPG element is what sells me the most, and I feel that's the biggest loss to this title. 

Message 34 of 55 (1,898 Views)

★★ Pro

@sirexodus84 wrote:

@JucieN7 wrote:

@sirexodus84

I played sisRyder and romanced Reyes. The flirting was awesome, but after finisheing his quest there was nothing!
Even in the end of the game there was nothing but a wink! WTF?!

The flirt options are awesome for all romances I have seen so far, but the longterm relationships suck. 
It's really disappointing when your LI does not even have something new to say in 20 hours of gameplay and lots of new achievements. 

I guess in Andromeda you should flirt with everyone and not romance someone seriously -.-

Seems like it, which (I know I keep making this comparison) pales in comparison to Dragon Age Inquisition. There, the relationships actually develope. There's hiccups, there's growth, dialogue during the game that reminds you this relationship is a thing... Hell, you could ask Iron Bull for some sugar whenever you wanted to and while you don't see anything, its great for immersion (and who doesn't like a casual buttslap from your mate anyway!) 

In Andromeda...well... you get reminded you're a thing only during specific cutscenes. Then you're done. Barely any commentary. Some random dialogue you can't even follow up with from your team mates and you're done. It doesn't make sense to me... DA:I is a Bioware game. Different devs and writers, sure, but you mean to tell me they learned nothing from that game? Absolutely no consistency within Bioware? Come on now.

I guess when Liam turned down BroRyder early on in the game it was really just a testament of the "HAHAHA NOPE" we should expect from Bioware and their empty promises. Which sucks. Been a fan of them for a bit, and I still find ME:A fun to play with, but the RPG element is what sells me the most, and I feel that's the biggest loss to this title. 

In the notes of whats coming up for Andromeda, improvements for the gay male romances was one of the things listed.

Seriously hoping sometime after they also improve the straight female options.

Message 35 of 55 (1,890 Views)

★ Guide

@JucieN7 wrote:

@friffy

I absolutely agree with your post!
For femShep and femRyder you almost alwys get the Aliens but hardly any human whilst the maleShep and maleRyder get all the human girls...WTF?!

I don't get it and it makes me mad. Sure Garrus is my favorite although he is an alien...but well in ME2 I get a headbutt and in ME3 I get strange scenes with him still wearing his armor in bed...I mean seriously BioWare? You could have given him at least some casual clothings if you don't want to show the alien naked.
And now they show the alien naked, but the problem is still the same.

As cute as I find the romance with Jaal I am really disappointed with the romances at all in Andromeda. 
Flirting is awesome but anything further than this is just not really existent and not at all satisfying or worth the effort.

Garrus is a very nice romance. I love Garrus. And come on, why are you complaining? You get a sweet, deep and romantic headbutt in ME2 and it's manly to wear armor in bed, not to say "hot" - just think of the poor boys, they have to look at a genetically enhanced Barbie Doll in lingerie or get their uniform smudged all over from Jacks makeup. No thank you, that's disgusting! Almost as digusting as this single kiss (!) you have to share with Thane in his romance. Soooooo much action, almost unbearable!
Wink
Although I hate ME3 I think BW did a great job with the tango. I love it. And I also love Jaal - I like his "personality" so I live with the fakt that - again - he's an "alien". It would have been nice to get something like that plus a more "humanoid" body. Or have an appropriate romance with our "humanoids". Liam, Reyes.

And while we at it, a bit more interactions in general, a "renegade" kiss interrupt, some free time in your luxurious but useless Pathfinder quarter, an evening in one of the many bars, or just a stroll around the marked on Aya. Much more than just some "romance" lines and that's all. Always feels so "forced". Maybe there shouldn't be any romances at all, so nobody has a reason to complain about bad romances or unfair and unbalanced treadment. Although I would miss it I could live with it. And no, I can't just pretend there are no romances or avoid them - as long as I have the opportunity to hit a "flirt" button I will... I am not that strong to restrain myself... even though I know I will be deeply disappointed in the end.

Message 36 of 55 (1,840 Views)

★ Guide

Garrus is a very nice romance. I love Garrus. And come on, why are you complaining? You get a sweet, deep and romantic headbutt in ME2 and it's manly to wear armor in bed, not to say "hot" - just think of the poor boys, they have to look at a genetically enhanced Barbie Doll in lingerie or get their uniform smudged all over from Jacks makeup. No thank you, that's disgusting! Almost as digusting as this single kiss (!) you have to share with Thane in his romance. Sooo much action, almost unbearable.
Wink
Although I hate ME3 I think BW did a great job with the tango. I love it. And I also love Jaal - I like his "personality" so I live with the fakt that - again - he's an "alien". It would have been nice to get something like that plus a more "humanoid" body. Or have an appropriate romance with our "humanoids". Liam, Reyes.

And while we at it, a bit more interactions in general, a "renegade" kiss interrupt, some free time in your luxurious but useless Pathfinder quarter, an evening in one of the many bars, or just a stroll around the marked on Aya. Much more than just some "romance" lines and that's all. Always feels so "forced". Maybe there shouldn't be any romances at all, so nobody has a reason to complain about bad romances or unfair and unbalanced treadment. Although I would miss it I could live with it. And no, I can't just pretend there are no romances or avoid them - as long as I have the opportunity to hit a "flirt" button I will... I am not that strong to restrain myself... even though I know I will be deeply disappointed in the end.

Message 37 of 55 (1,878 Views)

★ Guide

@Nykara360 wrote:

In the notes of whats coming up for Andromeda, improvements for the gay male romances was one of the things listed.

Seriously hoping sometime after they also improve the straight female options.

We are Pathfinders so there should always be hope... there has to be hope...

Wink

Message 38 of 55 (1,876 Views)

★★ Guide

To be honest: DA:I was a great success for me (personal opinion). So I can't say that Bioware is always breaking his promisses. And Mass Effect 1 to 3 have been great, too. Ok, the end of ME3 .... THERE WAS NO END!!! IT'S NOT EXISTING! Teeth bared Wink

I wasn't hoping for a lot in MEA, only for ONE (two?) "average" romances for females. I was sure the males would get 4 or 5 great options.

Have you seen what plans for the next DLC / Patch they have? "Making the male / straight romance better and give the male Ryder more romance options." Hehehehe Great isn't it. Large smile Like a hit into the face of alle female players. Frown

Biowares plans for the next months - sorry in german: http://www.playm.de/2017/04/mass-effect-andromeda-update-plan-der-naechsten-monate-enthuellt-neuer-p...

Message 39 of 55 (1,875 Views)

★ Guide

@Nykara360 wrote:

Yeah Frown

Get this one. Liam right there when SAM stops Sara's heart  -- zero reaction!

He makes a tiny joke / comment about it after the fact and thats it.

So much for Mr. Freakout. Doesn't even care the girl he likes is dying.

Right? Or Jaal being right there with a romanced Sara and before she dies, he's all "It's been a pleasure". Seriously?

Message 40 of 55 (1,873 Views)