Re: Disappointing romance after the hype. Liam deserved better.

by sfe959

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Yeah Frown

Get this one. Liam right there when SAM stops Sara's heart  -- zero reaction!

He makes a tiny joke / comment about it after the fact and thats it.

So much for Mr. Freakout. Doesn't even care the girl he likes is dying.

Message 21 of 55 (5,796 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah, there's so much that should have been there and it isn't. Like the zero reaction to Ryder's "death". And on top of it all, the fact that we didn't get a decent sex scene. After the fade-to-black couch scene, most of us were certain that more would follow as it was just the beginning of a potential romance. I mean, c'mon I'm a straight female player with no interest for alien butts (since Jaal is the only one who gets a half-decent romance). I am not even the kind of person who likes to complain about such stuff. I was fine with Kaidan's romance. Is it too much to ask for something equivalent for Andromeda? I don't even think we are always a second thought, like others may feel. I was fine with DA:O and Alistair... I even got the chance to marry Cullen in DA:I. But hey, I wanted MORE Liam (or Reyes at least, whose romance was even more lacking)!

Message 22 of 55 (5,788 Views)

★★ Pro

@sfe959 wrote:

Yeah, there's so much that should have been there and it isn't. Like the zero reaction to Ryder's "death". And on top of it all, the fact that we didn't get a decent sex scene. After the fade-to-black couch scene, most of us were certain that more would follow as it was just the beginning of a potential romance. I mean, c'mon I'm a straight female player with no interest for alien butts (since Jaal is the only one who gets a half-decent romance). I am not even the kind of person who likes to complain about such stuff. I was fine with Kaidan's romance. Is it too much to ask for something equivalent for Andromeda? I don't even think we are always a second thought, like others may feel. I was fine with DA:O and Alistair... I even got the chance to marry Cullen in DA:I. But hey, I wanted MORE Liam (or Reyes at least, whose romance was even more lacking)!

Kaidan’s romance was great!

I loved Cullen as well - although the Inquis being fully dressed during the after sex part was somewhat odd - at the least she coulda slipped on one of his shirts or something, or a sheet if they wanted her covered.

I didn’t have such great luck with Alistair on my first DA:O pt, it actually put me right off dragon age for a long time (didn't pkay it again until much later), my Alistair ran off and never came back 😭

And DA2 I waited too long to choose, by the time Hawke started flirting it was too late, oops. So she romanced no one.

Why Liam didn't at least get as good as Kaidan, ill never know.

Reyes is a side fling, not even an achievement so I kinda get his romance being less, don’t really agree with it when BroRyder gets more m/f options, but get it.

Liam at least should have been inline with what Cora got !

Why we always get less then male players is baffling and also unfair.

Message 23 of 55 (5,782 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@sirexodus84 wrote:

You want to talk about disappointing romance options? Try having zero team members available and 1.5 NPCs to choose from: Gil and Reyes. Reyes is typically the better choice, too, since his personality is much more interesting than Gil's.... and to add insult to injury, not only do you only get a dance with Reyes (which is a clear swap from SisRyder since you stare at the ceiling while you dance), but Gil is just a fade to black. Can't even have a good conversational flow with Reyes, either, since he stays on Kadara. 

DA:I did this better. ME3 did this better. Why did MEA go in reverse? 

Yes I know, gay men got the worst most of the time, my sympathies. And I hate that they get so much hate whenever they claim their piece of the cake. It's so laughable. No problems at all that there were and are tons of opportunities for f/f action  - nobody is complaining or even asks why there has to be so much. No "feminism" aguments there, no "SJW" arguments, no stupid terms at all. All perfectly fine. And well, since straight male players always claim they are the majority and everthing should center around their wishes... so I have to assume that this is purely fanboy service. Hot girls in action. And it never was ment for the "real" f/f people. Just think about it for a moment... isn't it sad? And I mean it in all honesty.

And forgive me when I center my thoughts mostly around the straight female issue - at least you can/could also profit if they would decide to make this chars bi like they did with Kaidan. Actually I think DA II wasn't bad with the "all romances are bi" decision. Everyone got what he/she wants.

About the "alien naked *" - laughable. I was: "WTF" when I got that scene at the Tempest. Two guys "playing the armor game" and well who would guess... it's the "ugly alien butt" you'll get to see in all it's beauty. Don't get me wrong, I adore Jaal, I adore him much more than Liam but it's so typical. Liam is wearing his pants. Why? Because that scene has to work for the SMs (Straight males), too and who would dare to offend them by showing an attractive male butt that isn't their own chars butt ("banging" Cora)? Sorry, I don't get it and this is the only "logical" explanation I can come up with...

As for the question about "ugly alien butts" in general, think of it just for a moment. And including all the MEs into this, we have:

Ashley I for the SM - human
Kaidan for the SF - human
Liara for the SM - blue human
Miranda for the SM - human (barbie doll)
Jack for the SM - human
Tally for the SM - alien? colored human? Who knows because you'll never get to "see" her, she's a "platonic love"
Jakob for the SF - human (a..ole. And I HATE it who BW made my Shep "physically" react to him whenever I had to let her talk to him "in private" Just thinking of it makes me want to vomid...)
Thane for the SF - alien
Garrus for the SF - alien
Ashley II for the SM - human (barbie doll - why BW, why...???)
Liam for the SF - human
Cora for the SM - human
Jaal for the SF - alien
Peebee for the SM - blue human
Vetra for the SM - alien (wow, ALIEN!!!)

Maybe it's just me but it seem that SFs have a lot "alien action" if you would count that as "action" at all... why so? And our "love interests" seems to be real "aliens" - we also get Mordins advice (funny nonetheless - I love it and I love Mordin)  for "saver sex"... (!)
Back to ME:A, we have  "action" with Jaal and I like it. But it also makes me think, hey, does he even has all the necessary parts needed to make my Ryder "really" happy? We'll never know... so conveniant to give SFs all these "ugly" aliens, don't you think? And don't let me start about the "stories" - a "but the prize" Jakob-as..hole who's cheating at you? Thane who we have to see dying and that's it? There are just TWO romances you could think of somehow "normal" and one of them is... alien.
And then the Liam "romance".. wow... most underwhelming "romance scenes" ever...
All in all I would call it "cheap" and "cowardly". Hey BW - we are playing your games, too. We love your games, too. We pay for your games, too. And we aren't a "minority" anymore. We are Legion. So we straight females would like to get the same attention as your straight male customers. Because we normally don't complain that much doesn't mean we like it. We want "normal" men without "heartbreaking" stupid stories attached.
We want appropriate romances with appopriate "hot cinematics", too. Butts and B*bs for girls seems perfectly fine and ok to show in games so at least give us some attractive butts if you afraid to show the "whole beauty" of a male body.

Sorry for this "wall of words" but that's bothering me for so long now...

Message 24 of 55 (5,679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@sirexodus84 wrote:

You want to talk about disappointing romance options? Try having zero team members available and 1.5 NPCs to choose from: Gil and Reyes. Reyes is typically the better choice, too, since his personality is much more interesting than Gil's.... and to add insult to injury, not only do you only get a dance with Reyes (which is a clear swap from SisRyder since you stare at the ceiling while you dance), but Gil is just a fade to black. Can't even have a good conversational flow with Reyes, either, since he stays on Kadara. 

DA:I did this better. ME3 did this better. Why did MEA go in reverse? 

Yes I know, gay men got the worst most of the time, my sympathies. Truly and wholeheardly. And I hate that they get so much hate whenever they claim their piece of the cake. It's so laughable. No problems at all that there were and are tons of opportunities for f/f action  - nobody is complaining or even asks why there has to be so much. No "feminism" aguments there, no "SJW" arguments, no stupid terms at all. All perfectly fine. And well, since straight male players always claim they are the majority and everthing should center around their wishes... so I have to assume that this is purely fanboy service. Hot girls in action. And it never was ment for the truly f/f people. Just think about it for a moment... isn't it sad? And I mean it in all honesty.

And forgive me when I center my thoughts mostly around the straight female issue - at least you can/could also profit if they would decide to make this chars bi like they did with Kaidan. Actually I think DA II wasn't bad with the "all romances are bi" decision. Everyone got what he/she wants.

About the "alien naked *" - laughable. I was: "WTF" when I got that scene at the Tempest. Two guys "playing the armor game" and well who would guess... it's the "ugly alien butt" you'll get to see in all it's beauty. Don't get me wrong, I adore Jaal, I adore him much more than Liam but it's so typical. Liam is wearing his pants. Why? Because that scene has to work for the SMs (Straight males), too and who would dare to offend them by showing an attractive male butt that isn't their own chars butt ("banging" Cora)? Sorry, I don't get it and this is the only "logical" explanation I can come up with...

As for the question about "ugly alien butts" in general, think of it just for a moment. And including all the MEs into this, we have:

Ashley I for the SM - human
Kaidan for the SF - human
Liara for the SM - blue human
Miranda for the SM - human (barbie doll)
Jack for the SM - human
Tally for the SM - alien? colored human? Who knows because you'll never get to "see" her, she's a "platonic love"
Jakob for the SF - human (a..ole. And I HATE it who BW made my Shep "physically" react to him whenever I had to let her talk to him "in private" Just thinking of it makes me want to vomid...)
Thane for the SF - alien
Garrus for the SF - alien
Ashley II for the SM - human (barbie doll - why BW, why...???)
Liam for the SF - human
Cora for the SM - human
Jaal for the SF - alien
Peebee for the SM - blue human
Vetra for the SM - alien (wow, ALIEN!!!)

Maybe it's just me but it seem that SFs have a lot "alien action" if you would count that as "action" at all... why so? And our "love interests" seems to be real "aliens" - we also get Mordins advice (funny nonetheless - I love it and I love Mordin)  for "saver sex"... (!)
Back to ME:A, we have  "action" with Jaal and I like it. But it also makes me think, hey, does he even has all the necessary parts needed to make my Ryder "really" happy? We'll never know... so conveniant to give SFs all these "ugly" aliens, don't you think? And don't let me start about the "stories" - a "but the prize" Jakob-as..hole who's cheating at you? Thane who we have to see dying and that's it? There are just TWO romances you could think of somehow "normal" and one of them is... alien.
And then the Liam "romance".. wow... most underwhelming "romance scenes" ever...
All in all I would call it "cheap" and "cowardly". Hey BW - we are playing your games, too. We love your games, too. We pay for your games, too. And we aren't a "minority" anymore. We are Legion. So we straight females would like to get the same attention as your straight male customers. Because we normally don't complain that much doesn't mean we like it. We want "normal" men without "heartbreaking" stupid stories attached.
We want appropriate romances with appopriate "hot cinematics", too. Butts and B*bs for girls seems perfectly fine and ok to show in games so at least give us some attractive butts if you afraid to show the "whole beauty" of a male body.

Sorry for this "wall of words" but that's bothering me for so long now...

Message 25 of 55 (5,765 Views)

★ Guide

It's just weird that some romances have very fleshed out sex scenes and some don't as if they're secondary and less important choices. 

Ora that if you choose to have casual sex with someone you can't romance them anymore, that's not how life works, that feels like an almost moralistic choice.

Message 26 of 55 (5,761 Views)

★★★ Guide

@sirexodus84

I played sisRyder and romanced Reyes. The flirting was awesome, but after finisheing his quest there was nothing!
Even in the end of the game there was nothing but a wink! WTF?!

The flirt options are awesome for all romances I have seen so far, but the longterm relationships suck. 
It's really disappointing when your LI does not even have something new to say in 20 hours of gameplay and lots of new achievements. 

I guess in Andromeda you should flirt with everyone and not romance someone seriously -.-

Message 27 of 55 (5,759 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Hello,

(first: sorry for my english)

call me superficial, but .... I want a handsome man! Angel

I want to be the heroine with a good looking man by my side. I want to PLAY a movie ... I suppose a lot of us have this reason to play a game like Mass Effect: It's not enough for us to look to a movie, we want to be part of it, to decide and to be the hero. Some of us want to be the tragic hero, some of us want a happy end. But: We want to have a decision. And in the movies the heroes are NOT ugly like hell. Not the heroine and not the smart hero by her side! Wink

My "personal" problems with Liam:

Sorry, to sound a bit exaggerated, but isn't it a bit .... hmmm that the black Crew member behave like a Teenager-Ghetto boy? Really? In 2100? Shouln'd we push this (a bit racist) stereotypes apard? Next problem I have with Liam: WHY this little idiot interfere all the time in the Diplomatic relationship with the angara? Sutch a childish and incredible stupid idea to undress and insult with Jaal .... kindergarten! And than he send me a mail that he try to build up relationship with other angarians. Jesus helps me ..... I was really angry when I got this mail.

I want to show my visual problem with the love interest for females

Liam, Reeves and Jaal (Liams nose look like a zucchini!), the "heroes" for the Ladies looks like this:

Good looking & interesting men from successful films / series / andsoon looks like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjA0MDM4MDgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTAwNzY4NzE@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE?  Confused

PS. Shemar Moore is soooo hot!  Oops

PS2: I liked Anomen, Zevran, Alistair, Anders, Fenris, Kaidan (was great), Garrus, Thane, Cullen (still my favorite!), Blackwall, Dorian was sooooooo great (ok, not for the female hehehe). You see: I don't have high requierements. But the men here in MEA are incredible, horrible! SAM is my "love interest". A KI is the sexiest man on board.

Message 28 of 55 (5,760 Views)

★★★ Guide

@friffy

I absolutely agree with your post!
For femShep and femRyder you almost alwys get the Aliens but hardly any human whilst the maleShep and maleRyder get all the human girls...WTF?!

I don't get it and it makes me mad. Sure Garrus is my favorite although he is an alien...but well in ME2 I get a headbutt and in ME3 I get strange scenes with him still wearing his armor in bed...I mean seriously BioWare? You could have given him at least some casual clothings if you don't want to show the alien naked.
And now they show the alien naked, but the problem is still the same.

As cute as I find the romance with Jaal I am really disappointed with the romances at all in Andromeda. 
Flirting is awesome but anything further than this is just not really existent and not at all satisfying or worth the effort.

Message 29 of 55 (5,746 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Liam and Reyes both look very swxy to me. Everyone has their own opinion on what looks good and what doesn't. I personally have no issue in how they look, at all.

Just how poor the romances are.

The images you posted, only one or two of them really hold any appearance appeal to me at all. So yeah. Everyones sexy looking guy is very different. Hard to meet all requirements for that as they vary so much.

A good story and good romance though, thats somewhat easier to meet requirements for.

One of the things about Liam's that I think is bugging me so much was his complete lack of response when Sara was 'killed by SAM' to get out of the prison. The fact that at the time, he was there watching her die, seeing them have problems bringing her back and had no reaction to it what so ever. Yet previously in a conversation/banter with Peebee it was established that Liam takes it on himself to always be close to the Pathfinder, to protect them, yet there he was helpless to do anything on his watch to prevent it and he didn’t have a reaction to that?!

Even later on the ship when he does - very briefly mention it, he jokes and laughs it off with a hey you should probably stop dying.

And thats it?!

It was the perfect chance for a cute romance scene and frankly probably the main one that romance was lacking. He should have pulled her aside, kissed, hugged, mentioned how worried he was or something. It would have been a touching moment, something sorely lacking throughout Liam's romance.

As much as sex scenes are nice, I don't need one for the romance to be a good romance. What there does need to be is signs of caring. Intimate or heated or both moments. Liam really got none of that. It was almost as if his entire romance, save for a couple of very short conversations, was off-screen.

Liam romance break-down.

Flirt.

Awkward flirt.

Possible one night stand (which could lead to more). This scene had a kiss, the sex was off-screen. However the whole thing was interrupt only.

With no interrupt, all they do is touch foreheads.

Then you get nothing, nothing for ages.

Then Aya. He sends you off to scan stuff, after which they can have a 'date' but this supposed date is - yep you guessed it, off-screen. So you run around scanning for him, call it a date and it's done.

Then nothing, nothing, nothing.

All of a sudden back on Eos at the football game, he askes about getting serious, ending it or going on with no strings. So here I am, not having taken the interrupt. Having had one OFF SCREEN date with the guy. No kisses. Nothing and suddenly, he wants to get serious. Serious about what exactly?? At this point you can choose to go be alone with him - which is once again OFF SCREEN.

Then more nothing. Nothing. Nothing. The SAM death thing, that was also more nothing.

Final 'date' on Eos and omg finally something that was actually half way decent. Ages after getting serious theres even finally an on screen kiss...

End game. One more kiss. At which point Liam jokes about Marriage. He eblaborates on this a little further with the final conversation, to which Ryder barely responds, which is mostly imo a brush off. And thats a wrap folks. Usually people at least say I love you, before considering marriage. 🤔🤔🤔

Where is the intimacy, the romance, the at least slightly sexy kisses before discussing getting serious? You know, the build-up. Apparently all off-screen, cause we didn't get any. 

Message 30 of 55 (5,738 Views)