David Greco's Handling, Driving and Setup Q&A (?)

by Nuvolarix

Original Post

Re: David Greco's Handling, Driving and Setup Q&A (?)

★★★★★ Pro
@DavidG53 Haha yeah and likely is a bug anyway, tested it in F1 2021 and ~150kph is the limit with a rear puncture, more and you spin..

Regarding the grip minimum i assume no changes then? For the grass racing? :P
Message 121 of 831 (1,094 Views)

★★★★★ Pro
@Nuvolarix Yes 50% brake bias as it takes a lot of time to do it right and he tried to do it not fully right in 2021 which caused the drifting.

Would be highly interested too but he is not the AI guy! (q pace and r pace)

I would expect them to differ for each downforce level, so Monaco not be same setup as Monza, Spain not the same as Miami. But still all medium downforce tracks same setup, at least thats most likely
Message 122 of 831 (1,093 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

If it turns out that a 2 or possibly 3-stop can be just as effective as a 1-stop, because of tyre wear in-game... I'd be okay with that.

I know they 1-stop most of the time irl, but it's so damn boring. Gimme some strategy choices F1 Devil

Message 123 of 831 (1,041 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

The AI will use the default preset assigned to players at each track. So Monza you will have maximum top speed preset, I think it is preset 5, and Monaco will be Maximum Downforce, which should be preset 1.

Now when you go to each track, one of the 5 presets will be the default one. It will not default to the default/balanced preset 3 anymore. 

So if you want to be racing against ai with the same setup, i recommend just using the assigned preset by default. Or at least make minimum changes. 

Message 124 of 831 (1,032 Views)

★★★ Pro

@DavidG53 wrote:

The AI will use the default preset assigned to players at each track. So Monza you will have maximum top speed preset, I think it is preset 5, and Monaco will be Maximum Downforce, which should be preset 1.

Now when you go to each track, one of the 5 presets will be the default one. It will not default to the default/balanced preset 3 anymore. 

So if you want to be racing against ai with the same setup, i recommend just using the assigned preset by default. Or at least make minimum changes. 

Great, that sounds pretty good, nice shot! Cool

Message 125 of 831 (957 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@DavidG53 This is lowkey huge. Makes jumping into the game for a quick or initial session way easier and will probably curb down the deluge of complaints about handling from plug-and-play users.
💖
Message 126 of 831 (937 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@DavidG53 

Just a question on engine braking, will it be more effective this year, or will we have to brake way too much as in F1 21 to slow down the cars again?

Also are there any plans on giving us multiple engine braking options for F1 22, or future F1 games, that we can then change on the fly on track (similar to how we can already change the brake bias and differential)?

In my opinion, that would be a cool feature to have, and it certainly would enhance the simulation and immersion of the game for sure.

Message 127 of 831 (856 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@RedRevNow wrote:

@DavidG53 

Just a question on engine braking, will it be more effective this year, or will we have to brake way too much as in F1 21 to slow down the cars again?

Also are there any plans on giving us multiple engine braking options for F1 22, or future F1 games, that we can then change on the fly on track (similar to how we can already change the brake bias and differential)?

In my opinion, that would be a cool feature to have, and it certainly would enhance the simulation and immersion of the game for sure.

The engine brake is one of the values that come directly from real data of F1 teams, therefore there is nothing to correct on this aspect. 

Also I understand your point, but I am not going to add an option because it will be an easy feature to exploit. 

Message 128 of 831 (775 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@RedRevNow I assume you're going off the Engine Braking - EB rotary that the steering wheels often have? I don't think we ever got a proper insight on how those work - as usual, when it comes to anything F1 tech! But there's at least two ways for that to work.

The most obvious (and likely?) one is changing the ECU setting for how much it "blips" the engine when shifting gears or if/by how much it feeds a tiny bit of gas to the engine when you're off throttle as to keep the wheel speed and engine RPM closer. The engine braking effect can be very strong if not "dampened" like this and prove itself damaging to the powertrain as a whole with the stress it can put on the drivetrain. Drivers are probably more concerned with the former, but sometimes you can spot a race engineer asking the driver to change the EB or the "handbrake" setting for performance reasons.

The second guess is changing the MGU-K harvesting rate. Both the MGU-K and the engine slow down the driven axle by sapping its power, but the ERS has a harvest cap for the MGU-K and I guess the transition can be quite jarring when the limit is reached. The dial could change the balance for those two forces... But this is too deep into speculation territory for my liking.

Anyway Greco confirmed already that the engine braking value is validated by real data. The automatic throttle operation by the ECU could still happen but I think the devs have other challenges to work out yet before engaging with this one. We still have to see the BB being nailed down.

I would love that though! As well as brake migration.
Message 129 of 831 (748 Views)

★★ Guide

@DavidG53 

Hello everyone
Meanwhile, thank you for answering our questions is curiosity with so much patience. This year we will see the resolutions like Alex that does not warn you of the various breakups? voice support on ps5? and I ask how curiosity if we will see a different pilot-to-pilot wear in online races.
Ps:I apologize for the uncorrect English.

Message 130 of 831 (665 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help