David Greco's Handling, Driving and Setup Q&A (?)

by Nuvolarix

Original Post

Re: David Greco's Handling, Driving and Setup Q&A (?)

Community Manager (retired)
@Meza994 teams do have more or less tyre wear, but is very hard to balance it, because irl it depends on so many conditions.
Message 91 of 831 (1,411 Views)

@mariohomoh wrote:

@DavidG53 próxima vez que eu for à Europa darei um jeito de levar pão de queijo pra você. Os correios europeus que se virem!

Back on topic, does the game take into account camber setting when computing tyre wear? As in there being a sweet spot for each track (and driving style), given how both too much and too little camber can increase tyre temperature and degradation? Or is tyre wear just generally bound by suspension stiffness plus tyre pressures?

Hahaha obrigado! Se conseguir requeijao tbm :D

It does, but is an area that needs improvements. Tyre pressure is the most effective and dynamic atm

Message 92 of 831 (1,407 Views)

@Meza994 yes maybe, depends if we have enough overhead left
Message 93 of 831 (1,408 Views)

★ Guide
@DavidG53 Sorry if it's already been asked, but has tire pressure behavior been corrected this year? It's been reversed in previous entries, which just seems like a mistake if anything.
Message 94 of 831 (1,390 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

@DavidG53Yeah thats why i suggested weight to simulate race pace, especially taking race length into account, better tyre wear can be a negative for AI. In 25% races this can cause an AI car to pit early (due to a bit higher tyre wear) and get the undercut, therefore staying ahead and the car with better tyre wear cant overtake due to too little difference. PS. this might change in F1 22 if the AI react properly to the low temps after pitting🤔

I fully understand that its a very complex and difficult thing to simulate in the game, just a fan of more variety from each qualifying to the next, each race to the next, independant of upgrades. There are things that make it "fairly" easy but are not true to reality.

And yes totally understandable with Mexico, hoping for the best for the next game :D

Message 95 of 831 (1,379 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@DavidG53 haha will do my best!

Counting the days for when the Suspension Geometry tab will throw the "right right left left" people out for a ride!

It's a shame that all these great details and improvements in the sim side of things tend to fly over the head of the general player base. I'm loving how every single change being discussed here is pushing the game to be more realistic and the current shortcomings are being worked on or at least acknowledged.

@ActuallyImJulie tyre wear is tricky in that we can get it either from heat (in that higher pressures would be conducive to higher wear rate as it increases carcass temps) or from from flexing and twisting against the tarmac (in that higher pressures would be conducive to a lower wear rate as it makes for a more rigid sidewall).

It was always hard for me to say that the game got it wrong. If anything I always thought the games were too lenient with the whole wear thing and did not make it the cut-throat balance game that it is in real life.
Message 96 of 831 (1,368 Views)

@mariohomoh wrote:
@DavidG53 haha will do my best!

Counting the days for when the Suspension Geometry tab will throw the "right right left left" people out for a ride!

It's a shame that all these great details and improvements in the sim side of things tend to fly over the head of the general player base. I'm loving how every single change being discussed here is pushing the game to be more realistic and the current shortcomings are being worked on or at least acknowledged.

@ActuallyImJulie tyre wear is tricky in that we can get it either from heat (in that higher pressures would be conducive to higher wear rate as it increases carcass temps) or from from flexing and twisting against the tarmac (in that higher pressures would be conducive to a lower wear rate as it makes for a more rigid sidewall).

It was always hard for me to say that the game got it wrong. If anything I always thought the games were too lenient with the whole wear thing and did not make it the cut-throat balance game that it is in real life.

Agree 100%, is very hard to get tyre pressure right. They have been tweaked thanks to more detail in the tyre model. Should make more sense.

A short real life story to share with you guys, I have been doing quite a bit of karting practice lately, back to my roots lol, and I find tyre pressure that used to work for me, don't work anymore, because of my weight, emh, got heavier since my karting days, 20 years ago :D. Had to bump up by 5 psi my usual tyre pressures for example. Even though everyone at the race track has been telling me that I am running way too high tyre pressure, the laptimes are saying I am up to half a second quicker and more consistent.

Message 97 of 831 (1,353 Views)

★ Guide
@DavidG53 If it works, it works 🤷‍♀️
Message 98 of 831 (1,347 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@DavidG53 you're selling yourself short. You have just increased the vertical load and overall grip and is now testing the limits for best cornering performance, balancing it all out with tyre pressures so that you can dictate how fast the grip limit will snap back at you when you go in for that outside pass 😉

I mean, karts don't usually have suspensions, do they? Fewer tools to work with!

On a serious note, the community as a whole is just too used to deal with rigid "metas". Like "this year minimum toe and maximum pressures are the fastest" and "minimum camber is the best" and just replicate that ad nauseam.

I wonder if we would have gotten less backlash for the more realistic kerbs in F1 2021 if people learned to run with more rear toe in?

Tyre pressure is a balancing game... Well, just like everything else in the sport I guess!
Message 99 of 831 (1,332 Views)

★★★★★ Pro
@mariohomoh True and we will never be able to get it in the game due to it being so complex, track and air temperatures are another factor of major importance to choosing the right pressure..

Idk but to higher temps, higher wear and best grip on one end would probably be best.. IRL teams always try to go for the lowest pressure (at least that the myth haha) they can run consistently so e.g. having the minimum pressure with highest temps and highest wear would destroy every soft tyre but having the pressure too high would make hard tires struggle with heating up at all..

IMO pressure for each compound independantly would be best too, especially should we ever get track and air temperatures to really matter in the game.. I know im dreaming again on my favourite topic😂
Message 100 of 831 (1,313 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help