Re: (Damage/"Health bar") We need to have a talk.

by Jacobba55

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

@BVBgamer88

Absolutely agreed. Great points. I really wanted that Crown Vic as well, but no! Damage system...

Message 11 of 71 (1,079 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Damage system ? Yes

(in all need for speed you had an invisible health bar that goes to zero if you crash violently)

Generic visible Health Bar ? No

Do like call of duty in hardcore mode, adding an health bar for each body part of player/cars.

Message 12 of 71 (1,075 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@E3NBF That could work I suppose. But some people probably would object because they wouldn't know EXACTLY when it will happen. But with my experience with Rivals, the bar isn't too reliable either... 

The point about all NFS games having an invisible damage meter is false. Only a select few have an invisible damage meter, the usual choice is "health"+destructible player vehicle, or "no health"+indestructible player vehicle, but visual damage as an option!

Message 13 of 71 (1,068 Views)

★★★ Novice

I agree that this would take away the experience for players and sometimes ruin the game.

Message 14 of 71 (1,039 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@TheWhiteRabbit11

Good point! Thank you for the XP and supporting this. I completely agree with it, for example, I think most people hate crashing into traffic already, but to get busted by traffic (wrecked)? Pretty stupid... 

Additionally, that spike strip did a rediculous amount of damage compared to a head-on Rhino collision (which is still an armored SWAT Van instead of an SUV), or any other damage taken in any gameplay footage. I think we've yet to see a repair shop being used, but it has been stated that they have limited uses, so you can't spam them Rivals style.

On a different note, most of the game seems good. I just can't help but think this flaw will hold it back severely. I'd like to talk about radio chatter too and what I've heard so far: It's quite quiet, limited, but might have more emotion than Payback. So we'll have to wait until we see more, I suppose. 

Message 15 of 71 (1,024 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

You guys all make good points. I hope they know what they´re doing. We´ll have to see how it will play out in the full game.

Message 16 of 71 (991 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

They really should remove it cause i really want to have fun with pursuit chases not getting my car instantly getting destroyed in 1-3 mins within the chase so i was gonna pre order the game but after seeing theres a damage system in nfs heat thats just made me not to do so i hope ghost games will see this thread

Message 17 of 71 (907 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@BVBgamer88 However, HP2 from classic era did have health bar for racer in Be the Cop mode.And that didnt feel like a Burnout game.Health bar is bad in newer NFS because it is for the racer player car now,and still not durable enough since Rivals(HP2010 health bar isnt too fragile but still cant handle chaotic situation)
Message 18 of 71 (900 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@GK3512

That's a great point! And I was waiting for something like that, but also I'd like to point out that HP2 is obviously part of the Hot Pursuit genre, where later in the series you could defend yourself and fight back (which is a bit farfetched). Of course, you couldn't in the early games, however, the crucial difference is that these are closed track (closed world) point to point races or circuit tracks which I think makes a massive difference.

When you consider the fact that Heat is open-world, you don't have the luxury of being able to make it to the line to survive, and you have forced mechanics like the hideout, although there is cooldown supposedly. Arguably, quite lazy of them to reuse hideouts and multipliers, the sheer number of elements and UI they are literally just taking out from previous games is shocking! The Wrap editor is practically the same, all the vanity items are there so that interface will likely be the same, a car's performance is still measured by a numerical value, as well as re-using the cop car models.

None of that may matter to you, but I want you to consider the difference between "closed-world" survive to get to the line, and "open-world" where are a health bar will always be limiting factor. Also to @CrescenceRose, great point there, this is the problem. The limitations of the meter have a knock-on effect, namely shorter pursuits (especially when you consider repairs are limited) which also means there is less of a requirement for the developers to focus on a pursuit experience and the PCPD A.I. I'd also like to mention that this ties into @Harawana's point about this hurting the difficulty spike, or the natural progress of the game with a rising difficulty level whilst comparing it to Most Wanted 2005.

Although, still think your HP points are great! Could you consider this as well though?

Message 19 of 71 (890 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@Jacobba55 Rivals was open world with OP police,but HP2010 was also p2p racer,there wasnt any race or chase in free roam,not even health bar and weapons,there wasnt a close lap race,the police only show up in HP2010 races and Gauntlet time trail in racer career,and yes,HP2010 did have make it to safe setting,that's because without it,the chase will be forever or until you are busted.Just like Rivals
Message 20 of 71 (879 Views)