Re: Damage numbers and how they work

by Jimmahwd

Original Post

Damage numbers and how they work

★★★ Novice

Hello!

I started playing Apex Legends 2 days ago, and i've noticed im having issue understanding the damage values and armor.

So i've noticed that i can spray down an opponent while the damage numbers show 45,45,93,45,20 (Saw those numbers in combat earlier today), But the opponent just doesnt go down. Half of the damage didnt show the shield hit icon so i figured he'd be dead soon. He didnt die, i had to reload, he rushed me and killed me within a second with an SMG. I had lvl 2 armor, so not the greatest but it should do its job, but i didnt even have time to react before i died. 

Also, me and my friend came 2nd last match, we were up against 3 people, and they were pretty far away, sniping us. We had the last circle so we could just hold our grounds and shoot back. Now, they rushed us pretty quick (I had lvl 3 armor and helmet), one of the enemies opened the door to our building, where i was standing and just killed me before i even knew what was going on, Like i saw the doors open and i was dead.

How come some people can just kill me so quickly, while i, even when hitting all the bullets, cant seem to do any harm to them? 
This isnt meant as a rant or anything, just curious if i've missed out on how the damage numbers work and all that.

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 9 (2,794 Views)

★ Guide

I have similar issues that are more common than they were since the game was released. The only time that I have one shotted a player was with a headshot with a Kraber or a headshot with a Peacekeeper, though I'm sure I would be able to do the same with a Mastiff. However, I see people shoot once or twice and down me instantly even with full HP and armor, including a high tier headpiece. People are hacking and the scores they show often are absurd numbers. It's getting annoying real fast.

Message 2 of 9 (2,775 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, well i dont necessarily accuse people for hacking, this happens so often that i think its either a bug or a mechanic that im not aware of. 

Message 3 of 9 (2,736 Views)

★ Guide

@Trenix wrote:

I have similar issues that are more common than they were since the game was released. The only time that I have one shotted a player was with a headshot with a Kraber or a headshot with a Peacekeeper, though I'm sure I would be able to do the same with a Mastiff. However, I see people shoot once or twice and down me instantly even with full HP and armor, including a high tier headpiece. People are hacking and the scores they show often are absurd numbers. It's getting annoying real fast.

This is just ridiculous. 

You do know there are people who don't work, don't have wives or kids and have played this game since release? why are people always so surprised when people rush to max level or their banner shows high numbers? I bet you Shroud has some sick banners with 100's of kills too. 

Message 4 of 9 (2,732 Views)

★ Apprentice

Have experienced this as well. 

People hack in this game. Like every PC game. 

I saw a person the other day with 1,000 kills on one character. 

That's a ~125 kills a day from release. That's killing over 2 full servers worth of enemies a day.

No reason to call everyone who kills you a cheater, but also no reason to ignore the problem.

Point being, I believe when this happens, it is not by design and foul play could be a culprit. 

That being said a fully kitted longbow could get close to two shotting you (headshots) with a purple helm/vest.

Message 5 of 9 (2,725 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@ImSnowflakee, okay first I'll ask what kind of dmg indicator settings you have as you can have 4. I don't know the name but you have one that shows individual dmg numbers, one that just adds up how much dmg you have done on that target (on by default), one that shows both individual and the adding up one and no dmg numbers.

Either, from your msg, if you saw 45, 45... then it's individual numbers if it wasn't a fast firing/auto weapon. In that case I have no idea why that person didn't die yet. But look at your settings and see if it's really on individual.

If those weren't the actual numbers that happend, it will likely be on sequential numbering for amount of dmg done. That way you can see how much dmg you've done. A buddy of mine sprayed a dude with lvl 3 armor with a fully auto prowler. Other guy had like 13hp left... it's preposterous sometimes how much you have to shoot someone.

Sometimes you kill fast, sometimes you dont. If I for instance if you have lvl 3/4 armor but no helmet or a normal helmet and I fire headshots at you with a wingman with the skullcrusher popup, it can almost look as if you died instantly. Same with a prowler from close range. Same with every strong weapon. I have downed some ppl so fast with weapons that I kept shooting cause I didn't even realise they were down.

Headshots do alot of dmg and you don't even see it coming sometimes
Message 6 of 9 (2,699 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

hacks!!!!

Message 7 of 9 (2,697 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Koochi-Q 

I have the individual on, i checked the settings after it happened and even my friends thought it was weird. Also the enemy dude had just survived my Gibraltar ult aswell, so had hit him once with that, and was facing away from me when i spray'd him. The armor text was blue aswell so i figured he had a lvl 2 armor set.

Also i had the helmet on, lvl 2 one, so no clue if he just got lucky when he rushed and jumped me.

I just came out of another game though, where i had lvl 3 armor and helmet, and used a flatline. My teammates had died and i was underneath one of the buildings in the water, and healed up. Enemy Caustic saw me go down there, and came creeping in just as i was done healing. I saw him through the cracks and started prefireing him as soon as he rounded the corner to where i was. I even hit him 3-4 times before he even begun shooting (Think he had an assault rifle aswell). After spraying him down and dmg numbers were all over my screen, i just died, and went straight to spectator mode to see how much hp he had left. He had about 60% remaining. he also had lvl 3 armor as it seemed, since i got the purple dmg marks.

Message 8 of 9 (2,625 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Change you damage to floating in the setting under Gameplay.

This will give you individual hits.

I found it makes a lot more sense.

Message 9 of 9 (2,651 Views)