Re: Cut Down to Size

by puntwothree

Original Post

Cut Down to Size

★★★ Guide
How do we feel about this superpower?

The way I see it, there are three types of plant decks popular in the competitive meta:

Speed/Draw decks, which play or should play Astro Shroom and/or Navy Bean.

Control/Heal decks, which play or should play Dark Matter Dragonfruit.

Burn decks, which play Stawberrian and Sergent Strawberry.

“Cut” is useful against (drumroll please)... none of these! It is the only superpower in the game I can think of that you can almost garuntee you’ll NEVER get to play in certain matchups. It has single-handedly forced me out of Super Brainz and is forcibly moving me away from Rustbolt.

Are other people having this problem? Can we fix it, somehow? Can we zombies have a reason NOT to play Professor Brainstorm? I think everyone would appreciate that.

Message 1 of 7 (859 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I find it can be a good counter to Poison Ivy, and Cob Cannons aren't too rare. I think this card is difficult to balance, as it's range of usefulness is large, from being unplayable, to being the best tempo play ever, depending on who you verse.

Message 2 of 7 (852 Views)

★★★ Guide
I agree, it CAN be marvelous and almost sort of feel like cheating. It’s just so frustrating when it sits in your hand, you can literally predict the rest of the game, and you’re playing a card down.

So I have some interesting ideas....

1) Someone suggested on this forum at one point that plant players only get to pick their starting superpower. Well... what if we twisted this. There are superpowers on all heroes that some of us don’t like. What if we could choose a superpower to get LAST? You’d still have randomness, but with some strategy or whatever woven in. And you couldn’t anticipate drawing said superpower, ever, b/c games are often decided before you block three times.

This would of course apply to both sides.

2) PvZ creates a brainy card (or a sneaky card and a hearty card, but one is simpler) that you can “combo” with Cut in a pinch. Something like. “A zombie gets +2. A random plant gets +2.”
Message 3 of 7 (834 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@UniVoidz wrote:

I find it can be a good counter to Poison Ivy, and Cob Cannons aren't too rare. I think this card is difficult to balance, as it's range of usefulness is large, from being unplayable, to being the best tempo play ever, depending on who you verse.

Couldn't have said it better. It is fun to watch the enemy's 5, 6 or 7+ attack Plant being killed by a single 1 cost card.

Message 4 of 7 (824 Views)

★ Guide
It’s very useful against me! Ask any mega grow players and they’ll say the same.
Message 5 of 7 (822 Views)

★ Guide

i'm a plant player and the most super power i fear is " cutdown to size " lol

i hate it, it takes away any powerful plant , how could you even say that

and speaking about super powers and you don't like " cutdown to size ".. have you ever heard of " more spore " or " backup dancers " ?!!!!!!! these are pure garbage.. think about it again

Message 6 of 7 (805 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide
But that’s my point, see! Solution #1: we all have superpowers we despise. I shuffle back my Cut Down, you shuffle back your More Spore. Win/win!

Cut is situationally great (better than Rose’s goatify, b/c it’s gone!) and situationally unusable (strictly worse than More Spore, b/c you can’t even play it!). I hate situational cards.
Message 7 of 7 (795 Views)