Currency Imbalance: Time vs Money vs Greed

by Addhocc

Original Post

Re: Currency Imbalance: Time vs Money vs Greed

★★★ Novice
  • I can confirm the same thing has happen to me as well. The lootbox system revolves are around it to make you spend more money. It gives you items for champions you least play or that are locked already. 
Message 31 of 46 (437 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I did buy EA coins for around 20 dollars, I did it to support a game I really enjoy.

But I would rather buy skins I actually want directly then getting random loot - I'm not a fan of that and therefor I won't buy any more "packages" and hope they add skins to buy directly. 

Message 32 of 46 (430 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@odieman1231Hehe, Ive seen the nickname (and/or similar ones) once or twice before, always weirds me out :P. So I sincerely apologize for my reaction earlier. You are indeed correct about it originating from Garfield. One of my friends started calling me Jølle (and it stuck, my real name is Jørn btw. hence the nickname) This happened when I was about 8 or 9 years old (Im 29 now). Jølle (or Odie in English), is the dog from Garfield. I later adopted Odieman as a nickname in games/digitally.

Message 33 of 46 (409 Views)

★★★ Novice
Skins are part of the game ya know. and a game with outrageous prices for its skins is not going to go far i tell ya that be upset as much as you like. It's all about finding balance between grind and money value and Apex right now still don't have that right.
Message 34 of 46 (396 Views)

★ Novice

@Addhocc wrote:
I did it more as an experiment to see exactly what the odds were and payoff was. I totally agree. Then again its EA.

If you were any educated you’d know that Respawn made sure that EA had no part in the making of this game whatsoever for this exact reason. Because uneducated people like you assume and bash them for nothing

Message 35 of 46 (392 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Crafting materials average out at around 15 per level. You get 45 free loot boxes. So on average you need to spend at least $60-$100 on loot boxes to afford one single legendary skin of your choosing.

The way I see it they have to change to the F2P very quickly. What they have now is probably just for the quick cash grab at the beginning of the game's life-span. But with this stingy F2P model and the cheaters, only one map and eight characters. They have some ways to go to prevent this game from not bombing.

Message 36 of 46 (389 Views)

★★ Novice

Except it the main source of income to feed thier children. How do you think free to play games are made? Magic? Here is how it works, generally speaking.

1. A game studio will pitch an idea to an investor.
  2. The studio will then make a game using the investor's money.
  3. In order to repay the investor, the game studio needs to have some kind of plan to earn money from the game.

They either

• Charge people to Download the game
  • Free to play and include micro transactions.

Now you might be confusing the "scam" with "pay to win" but we are talking about making weapons/skins look different, which is NOT pay to win and NOT a scam.

Message 37 of 46 (363 Views)

★ Guide

I find nothing worth purchasing.  It's a waste of money.  I'm getting two characters through hard work, and that's it.  If I get a skin, so be it!  Standard smile

Message 38 of 46 (359 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@OmazingGamer1 Holy hell. I found him. The one guy that claims people are uneducated as his "knowledge" on how interactions of publisher and developer dynamics couldn't be any more incorrect. 

Message 39 of 46 (358 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@stratiSphere wrote:

Except it the main source of income to feed thier children. How do you think free to play games are made? Magic? Here is how it works, generally speaking.

1. A game studio will pitch an idea to an investor.
  2. The studio will then make a game using the investor's money.
  3. In order to repay the investor, the game studio needs to have some kind of plan to earn money from the game.

They either

• Charge people to Download the game
  • Free to play and include micro transactions.

Now you might be confusing the "scam" with "pay to win" but we are talking about making weapons/skins look different, which is NOT pay to win and NOT a scam.

Why are you using the term "scam". People aren't calling it a scam, they're calling it "greedy" "stingy" and perhaps "immoral". It is not a scam because you know what your'e buying before you buy it (basically the same as buying a lottery scratch card). It is however borderline immoral as they're using proven RNG gambling methods to sell off items from the store. Of course a lot of companies are doing the same. But there are F2P games doing  well for many years by not using loot boxes. Ie Warframe and Path of Exile to name a few.

Message 40 of 46 (358 Views)