Coop Starfighter Assault Is “Difficult” Yet Squadrons Is A Thing???

by BlueSpy3DO

Original Post

Coop Starfighter Assault Is “Difficult” Yet Squadrons Is A Thing???

★★★★ Apprentice

THE biggest thread on the old forums was the Starfighter Assault thread. Thousands of ideas thrown around for new and highly requested content. Multiple times we were told Starfighter content was either very difficult to add or was some of the lowest numbers request wise. 
You literally made a whole game for it to slice up content for more $... I can’t even believe I’m surprised anymore. Excuses made just to divvy up development time and effort for an entirely separate product. Your greed knows no bounds!

Message 1 of 13 (1,676 Views)

Re: Coop Starfighter Assault Is “Difficult” Yet Squadrons Is A Thing???

★★★★ Guide

I remember that old thread

Message 2 of 13 (1,623 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@BlueSpy3DO wrote:

THE biggest thread on the old forums was the Starfighter Assault thread. Thousands of ideas thrown around for new and highly requested content. Multiple times we were told Starfighter content was either very difficult to add or was some of the lowest numbers request wise. 
You literally made a whole game for it to slice up content for more $... I can’t even believe I’m surprised anymore. Excuses made just to divvy up development time and effort for an entirely separate product. Your greed knows no bounds!

And people are praising it now for being "only" $40. And what are you getting for those $40, which is not cheap btw, you get 5 maps with zero dlc later. And the gameplay isn't innovative either, it's literally 5v5 dogfighting and another mode full of bots. All of this sounds objectively far worse than what BF2 offered in Starfighter Assault. Interesting objectives like taking out enemy cruisers and fighters, while bomber squadrons swooped in to target your capital ship or whatever. SA is a great mode, all it needed was new maps and possibly new ships, it didn't need a whole new game which is objectively a worse Starfighter experience. 

Message 3 of 13 (1,596 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Battlefront II was not cancelled for Squadrons. They are separate games with completely different mechanics. Starfighter Assault should never have been abandoned though.

Message 4 of 13 (1,577 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I never claimed it was cancelled, just pointing out years of begging just to even get the SA thread  acknowledged by an employee. We all freaked out and thought after Tom responded it meant change was coming and SA would be getting its day. All overhyped excitement just to be let down and this is just a knife in the back 

Message 5 of 13 (1,573 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I see your point.

Message 6 of 13 (1,545 Views)

★★ Pro
@BlueSpy3DO Criterion made the star fighter stuff in Battlefront 2. Motive is the creator of Squadrons. Dice made the updates for BF2. These development studious were not diverted - they had their own stuff to work on. Dice stayed with BF2 till the end, and Motive was free after creating the Battlefront 2 campaign. Also, good to see you’ve made your way to AHQ!
Message 7 of 13 (1,451 Views)

Champion

@BlueSpy3DO 

Hello there!

I was a big fan of the Starfighter Assault thread! 

Their enthusiasm, brilliant playing skill, imagination/productivity are really immeasurable.

I liked every their posts. Standard smile

...Yes, almost all of their requests were not received though. Frown

I think the Star Wars Squadron will be a totally different matter.

But I would like to see some of them there again.

Because they are really good pilots in the galaxy.

Message 8 of 13 (1,404 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Not adding any content to SA in order to keep the it for Squadrons was te dirtiest thing DICE has ever done to the game

Message 9 of 13 (1,354 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@SQHDP It wasn't DICE.
Message 10 of 13 (1,303 Views)