Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Conviction, an Anthem Live-Action story from Neill Blomkamp

by EA_Alexander

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: Conviction, an Anthem Live-Action story from Neill Blomkamp

★★★★★ Guide

@Aetrion wrote:

It looked cool, but it was basically the trailer for what I was expecting rather than the actual thing. Will this story actually be told? This kind of annoyed me to be honest, because it seemed like it was trying to get me excited for watching something, but then you realize that was the whole thing.

If you look at Oats Studios' stuff | YouTube Channel you see clearly that they are selling story concepts.  Concepts.  They haven't written stories.  And if you consider the concept there is no story because the concepts are hot messes.  Some, I guess, have something kinda sorta intriguing, maybe?  Like if you enjoy watching really, really, really bad movies for a laugh, I suppose.  So no.  No story.  Enjoy the concept.  Why didn't BioWare just make something?  LOL.  Am I being harsh?  Damn right!  If the stuff stinks am I going to encourage that more be made??  It's upsetting.  This studio was all set up with money from BioWare and the subject was Anthem.  And they barfed all over it.  Come on, guys... the studio should not have accepted the project in the first place if they had no real understanding of what the fans wanted to see.  No one cares what Blomkamp thought was an artistically sound pitch or concept or whatever it was.  He was paid by BioWare to offer something to the Anthem community that would spark joy and excite and potentially make BioWare look competent.  But nope.  Cancer. 

Message 31 of 39 (225 Views)
Highlighted

★ Pro

“I wrote two 10-page scripts, going off of the idea that a page is roughly a minute,” he explains. “I was proposing 20 minutes of footage, which was way beyond the budget scope we were dealing with. So I eventually condensed everything into one 10-page script and everyone was like, ‘Dude, it’s a three-minute piece. You can’t hand in a 10-page script.’ I was like, ‘No, it has to be 10 pages because we don’t know what’s gonna live and what’s gonna die in the edit room.’ We have to overshoot it in order to make it feel like a trailer so we can pick the best pieces. We can’t know that until the footage exists.”

if anyone wanted to know know how to make something wildly incoherent...there you go

Message 32 of 39 (216 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

I mean... as someone who has been occasionally involved with trying to shoot and edit short films, that sounds about right. Three minutes really isn’t a lot of time to tell any kind of story, especially if you want it to be cinematic. This short would need ten minutes just to establish who the heck we’re looking at, and you always want extra footage because you really never know what you have until you start editing it. If they were given the budget to tell a story involving at least six major characters in three minutes, this kind of intercut salad was about the best they could deliver, really.

That, and I’m not sure it’s *supposed* to be clear what exactly is going on, because again, lore spoilers.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 33 of 39 (206 Views)
Highlighted

★ Pro

Fair. But it was billed as a story. Moreover, given that it takes place 50 years before the game, I have no idea who any of those people are, and no clue what the heck was going on, I’m left with only “that was pretty” in terms of it being a trailer for the game coming tomorrow.

Message 34 of 39 (198 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

This thread's title is clear evidence we were promised a short story. Instead, we get a trailer. They even had to rename it on youtube in an effort to control the damage. It just feels like you are playing us for the fools. 

Message 35 of 39 (184 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide
That’s was such s great watch!! I really loved it!
Message 36 of 39 (177 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

Seriously people will complain about anything. For those who read the lore in the game there are lots of dots that are easily joined from that short. If you need your hand held it wasn’t for you. 

Message 37 of 39 (173 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

@Bjornel wrote:

This thread's title is clear evidence we were promised a short story. Instead, we get a trailer. They even had to rename it on youtube in an effort to control the damage. It just feels like you are playing us for the fools. 

I suspect it was always going to be a trailer, given the timing I am surprised that so many had higher expectations. Shorts for games are usually done well into the life of the game, not before release. I do agree that the "story" bit was a little misleading but its still a story and I think we were all hyping it up a bit much. 

I don't believe the description was changed to mitigate damage, that's tinfoil hat stuff.

Message 38 of 39 (166 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Bjornel wrote:

Exactly LOL bioware actually changed the title from "story" to "trailer" after many of them watched it for the first time.  Damage control in overdrive!!!  haha if they don't come clean about that change then it's a coverup.  An apology is required since they promised us something (hyping it like crazy) and then did not deliver.  Will they just let Blomkamp get away with it without damaging his reputation at all?  I guess he'll only get to screw companies over so many times before they learn his studios not very good.

Message 39 of 39 (141 Views)
Twitter Stream