Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Conviction, an Anthem Live-Action story from Neill Blomkamp

by EA_Alexander

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: Conviction, an Anthem Live-Action story from Neill Blomkamp

★★★ Apprentice
Need to change Title to Trailer not Short Story, was good but not a story.
Message 21 of 39 (344 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

It looked cool, but it was basically the trailer for what I was expecting rather than the actual thing. Will this story actually be told? This kind of annoyed me to be honest, because it seemed like it was trying to get me excited for watching something, but then you realize that was the whole thing.

Message 22 of 39 (322 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
I must agree. While it was a very well made trailer, it will ultimately be useless unless the story behind it is told. I have hope that this is in their future plans, maybe part of one of their "acts", but if not this will end up being a disappointment.
Message 23 of 39 (311 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
is this it??? was this the movie? the story? or is this just a trailer for the movie?
Message 24 of 39 (284 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

There was a Codex entry in the demo that may or may not be related to the trailer.

Spoiler
It was not long after the Cataclysm that the Engineer’s daughter developed strange new abilities. She could see faraway things or talk directly into another’s mind. Word of her gifts spread. Soon, Arcanists arrived and presented her with a bold experiment... to help them test a device that would amplify her gift. It started with great success, but eventually met with failure. The girl’s mind ventured too far from her body and became lost to the music of the Anthem of Creation. To this day, cyphers swear they glimpse the engineer’s daughter while in their amplifier. The first cypher, they say, watches over those who travel without moving, guiding them back from where she can never return.

–Folk take

Also, there’s this bit:

Spoiler

The first lancer and leader of the Legion of Dawn, Helena Tarsis is humanity’s most revered and celebrated hero. The Volume of Tarsis claims that she was the lone survivor of an escaped group of slaves, though the General reportedly spoke little about her past.

Tarsis, her husband Garred the Chronicler, and inventor Arden Vassa recruited and trained an army to overthrow the urgoth. At the Dawn Gates, Tarsis fell in battle preventing the urgoth’s final act of vengeance, the attack on the human settlement of Antium. Sometime after her death, she was reportedly spotted near Anshar, prompting the belief that she would rise again and inspiring construction of the Helena’s Walk temple.

Overall, I assume we’ll likely have to piece together bits of lore from all over the place to figure out what really happened, so I wouldn’t expect them to just explicitly give out major plot twists in a short film before the game even launches.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 25 of 39 (263 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

@NormireX wrote:
Need to change Title to Trailer not Short Story, was good but not a story.

This.

Is there going to be a story?  who knows - the trailer was not a 'short'.

Message 26 of 39 (247 Views)
Highlighted

★ Pro

It might be a great trailer for something, but not for the game coming out tomorrow. As a movie trailer I’d give it a 9. As a game trailer, I’d give it “what the heck was that supposed to be?”

Message 27 of 39 (241 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I was wondering if this was similar to the short film Blomkamp did for Halo 3, where it was a story that gave parts of what happened around/prior to the main story of the video game, but it would up not telling a story at all. It’s just highlight clips. 

Very well made though. 

Message 28 of 39 (233 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

Disclaimer:  I am not a film critic or anything remotely related.  However, Oats Studios does terrible live action.  It must cost a fortune to do it correctly but if the budget is not there, don't do it.  The CGI in this super-short was adequate.  Passable.  No one would think to really complain about the CGI.  If the CGI is at adequate levels why screw all that up with the live action?  We all realize that Oats Studios is trying to pass themselves off as being tremendously talented and maybe they are in a best-case scenerio of some sort but we're not going to see quality with what they spend on production so it's like the audience has to pay the price for their experimentation, their delusions of grandeur.

Ultimately, Neill Blomkamp is to blame because he's the captain of the ship as he's the founder of the studio.  If he's a good writer there is no evidence of this from the output of the studio thus far.  I'm not a writer.  But I could have come up with a vastly superior story in five minutes for this Anthem thing as well as for all the shorts that can be watched on the Oats Studios website.  In regard to an Anthem story, how hard would it be to come up with something that would have gamers jumping out of their seats?  Something that would have hooked them instantly??  Not hard at all.  And yet look at what we just watched?  It's confusing.  The opening it ridiculous and just pointless and nonsensical--in other words, bad.  Boo!

Obviously, the studio was way out of their league, here... and some editing maverick tried to save the ship from sinking.  That's the only reason why all of the scenes would be so disjointed.  This level of incoherency is just bad writing and I would conjecture that the project didn't get done so I'm guessing that what we saw was a choppy mess comprising of the first little bit of shooting because the middle and end never happened.  Or, they just ultimately stopped caring at some point.

Again, what looked pretty damn good was the bit of CGI.  Like the Dominion leader ("The Monitor", at 1:58) looked great, for example, and the Interceptor at 3:00, also.  That stuff was actually on par with what all of us would have expected.  Is the CGI more expensive than the live-action?  Is that why they had to mix it?  Neill, hire more CGI animators!  Please!  None of what we're looking at is feature film quality... it's really, really cheesy sci-fi.  Which is okay, but don't hype it up, man.  You are not there, yet.  Your writing is seriously wonky.  To the point of being annoying.  Just being honest.  I'd love to be a brilliant pianist.  That would be really cool.  But it's not gonna happen.  I don't go around booking concert halls and selling tickets.

I don't want to come across as a * (but I did just watch a horrible, horrible piece of garbage) but if someone's going to try to pass themselves off as being "all that" then at least don't start the project before first coming up with a fairly interesting concept.  We have to place a lot of the blame on BioWare because I guess they had no ideas and trusted this studio.  Whoops.

I just hope they didn't spend much money, here.  If they only paid the studio something like $20,000 CDN, well then whatever... but if it was more than that... wow.  Shame on Neill Blomkamp for not delivering the goods.  I bet he had lots of time but just never had any real vision for what he was trying to accomplish... which, by the way, was to tell a story.  EPIC FAIL, dude.  Like really.  So now we have a scandal and lots of questions.  Time for Chad Robertson to get out his broom and sweep this one under the rug.  Good riddance!

Message 29 of 39 (225 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

It's SO GOOD. I definitely want this as a full length feature film.

Message 30 of 39 (219 Views)
Twitter Stream