PC Controller Support - Remapping Buttons

by KELS0MAFIA

Original Post

Controller Mapping on PC

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I am trying to use the PC trial, and cannot use either of my preferred controller methods, a Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheel or a DualShock 4 controller via the utility DS4Windows.

I caught an interview saying that steering wheel support is not planned for launch, is that true?

The DualShock 4 meanwhile is my backup, and when I go to set the control bindings, the game highlights a control and awaits a button input, but does not recognize any of my controller button inputs. It's bizarre, because the game otherwise recognizes the controller and uses it to navigate menus. I ask because I like to set up movements of the right joystick to shift gears like a little thumb shifter knob.

Edited my post because I initially thought the controls used the face buttons for gas/brake, my bad.

Message 1 of 16 (4,281 Views)

No PC Controller Re-Mapping

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

There is no way to remap the buttons for using a controller on pc. currently using a xbox controller. remapping screen just lets you change the keyboard controls and thats it. this is going to be a game killer if we cant change to a personalised layout. i find the current one terrible. seen on another post before launch that someone was talking toEA help chat and got the reply that there would be the ability to remap buttons....

Message 2 of 16 (4,259 Views)

Re: Controller Mapping on PC

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@WeissachWaifu The game recognizes your ps4 controller as a generic wireless controller and is applying some weird button mapping to it. It happens for many of EA's games and controller when not using xbox controller.

For your ps4 controller you need to use third party software to make the game think you are using a xbox controller.

DS4windows is maybe the most well known these days however I find that one to stop working too often due to it being prone to not getting exclusive control over the controller

Personally Im using something called x360ce (alpha - beta version) which I find more reliable than DS4windows and the normal x360ce emulator.

Using these software you will also have the ability to map any buttons to another button. So for example the game uses left stick for steering and right stick for camera. In these software you can switch it around having left stick control right stick and visa versa effectively making it possible to steer with right stick and control the camera with the left stick in game. In other words you can remap the entire controller layout even tho its not possible in game.

edited to indicate I'm answering op

Message 3 of 16 (4,225 Views)

★ Guide
@TheLocalTroll i am using a xbox controller as said in my post above not a ps4 one. the mappings arnt weird they are just not good. gear change buttons are lb and rb which means you have to use your middle fingers for throttle and brake and index fingers for gear changing which is terrible. i normally change gear changing to the right analog stick up and down which is super comfortable and allow you to use your index fingers for throttle and brake which is alot easier and more precise
Message 4 of 16 (4,219 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

sorry, i was responding to the op. I forgot to mention him.

But isnt the setup the same that nfs has always used?

I think its possible to use the mentioned softwares for any controller to remap buttons out side games.

So in theory you should be able to also remap your xbox controller to have right stick act as the shoulder buttons ingame allowing you to shift gears as you like.

however I havent tried it myself so I can't guarantee it. Maybe the x360ce is better than ds4windows (which more dedicated to dual shock)

Message 5 of 16 (4,213 Views)

★ Guide
@TheLocalTroll algood haha forgot what post i was on anyway thought this was my 1 but its been removed. thats cool tho. is something i might look into or im gna have to use auto transmission i think
Message 6 of 16 (4,208 Views)

PC Controller Support - Remapping Buttons

★★★★★ Apprentice

I was super dissappointed to see that when I'm playing on PC with my Xbox controller there was no way of remapping any of the controls. This is quite frustrating because I like to race manual and both up shift and down shift are located LB and RB buttons which makes it awkward to do any sort simple/complex breaking and shifting before and in-between tight corners. I know you can remap the PC key bindings but why not controllers? Even if button remapping is not possible, how about another controller scheme layout? 

Not sure if this is where this should be posted but I figured I'd post anyways!

Message 7 of 16 (4,215 Views)

Re: PC Controller Support - Remapping Buttons

★★★ Novice

Yeah, I have this problem too, but maybe not to the degree of what others say on the other thread. My biggest concern is just that I need to hold down right stuck to capture, but I wanna remap to a button on the D-Pad like in Payback. It's such a shame they removed this feature...

Bring it back, please!

Message 8 of 16 (4,202 Views)

Re: PC Controller Support - Remapping Buttons

★ Guide
@KELS0MAFIA threads need to keep being made about this to push this point accross. im in the same boat really hope they impliment something and soon for re mapping/ alternate schemes
Message 9 of 16 (4,192 Views)

★★ Novice

I too am encountering this inability to change any keybinds but those on the keyboard. Driving with the default controller scheme in manual is SUPER bad because I constantly am going back into the garage when I don't mean to simply because I am trying to upshift into second. We NEED the ability to change the keybinds on controller and we NEED them ASAP! Please EA, lets get this fixed

Message 10 of 16 (4,092 Views)