Competitive fleet battles placing heroes against aces

by Fireghost100

Original Post

Competitive fleet battles placing heroes against aces

★★★ Newbie

There is (apparently) a major issue with the game balancing in fleet battles in Squadrons. Originally I was going to submit a bug report for this, but this doesn't align with the format for bug reports, so I'm reporting it here.

Less than an hour ago, me and three of my friends were playing fleet battles and having a good night playing, and had already played two games before what is about to happen. One of us (not myself) is ranked as hero, and the rest of our team is unranked, but was playing at around his level, some placing above and some below on the leaderboard. When we queued into another game, we got New Republic on Nadiri Dockyards and were setting up for another fun game, only to be immediately obliterated into space dust by overwhelming opposition. Our complaints quickly went from petty to furious when the first person killed (me) yelled that they were killed by a level 500 enemy player. For reference, I am level 20, and the best player on our team, who is ranked hero for competitive, is level 40. About 2 deaths later I opened the leaderboard to find a level 413, 582, 359, 51, and 397 enemy team against a level 23, 20, 47, 15, and 105 (the level 105 was a random player who wasn't in our group).

The game was far from an actual game and more of a target practice for the enemy team, which never had to go on defense and won the competitive match in a few seconds over 8 minutes – yes, I got a clip of the entire game and went back to time this. Again, most of our games until this were 30 minutes or longer, and are constant teeter-totter battles between both teams. This was complete obliteration of our pilots and capital ships, bad enough that the level 105 random on our team left the game mid-match out of rage. When the match ended, we were livid in our group chat when we saw that two of them had golden helmets, which can only be obtained by ranking galactic ace. Again, we are all ranked at about hero rank. That's three ranks below ace, and we were in the same game with two of them. We could see that both of them were ranked as valiant, and another teammate was ranked legend, but nobody else could be seen before they filed out of the match lobby extremely quickly. So, our game was matching four hero ranks with two ex-aces and a valiant.

Needless to say, our night is now moving away from squadrons and over to another game. If anyone working with the game gets this message, while Squadrons is an incredible game, this ranking system and queue for games is clearly extremely unfair and infuriating. While I may bring snippets, I'm not going to bring the full video recording of this game to this thread simply because I don't have the patience to make more than half of the audio a censoring beep.

Message 1 of 2 (596 Views)

Re: Competitive fleet battles placing heroes against aces

★★ Apprentice

Been there. Unfortunately there is a balance to strike between match equity and availability, that has been thoroughly played out with matchmaking tweaks. That team may have waited 20 or 30 minutes to find the match. The likelihood of close, even matches decreases with rank and the number of people in the squad. I often play with full squads of experienced players and am defeated by other certain teams in as much time as it takes us to beat a bunch of Heroes. Spending 8 minutes in the gauntlet every few games is the cost of being able to find games at all. The problem is pronounced now as many former Aces are still climbing through Valiant in the new operation.

Message 2 of 2 (532 Views)