Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Colossus Shield?

by Grinue

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Personally I love using the Colossus.

I also think that the shield could do much more.

One of which is perfect parry, making the block costless or even deflect partial damage back to attacker. ( Telling you I am not copying from Zelda lol ) Especially when the enemies in Anthem have quite obvious attack moves. e.g. the sniper focus, boss arm swing charge, tower rockets. Tera Rising did a good work on blocking in an MMORPG game.

Secondly is the additional actions when the shield is up. Like shooting from the side, or use skills that don't violate the shield.

Single-handed shield/ Two-handed shield. As mentioned above, you have one free hand. If you decided to go 1H shield, another hand should be able to do other stuff. So what about two-handed shield? If you decided to go all defensive, 2H shield should have larger block angle, higher energy level, and make more damage while shield bashing.

IMO Colossus has so much potential regarding to the shield.

Message 11 of 40 (343 Views)

★★★★ Novice
2 hand shield! Woah now that's an idea. New gear idea for the wrist or shoulder slot is a 2nd shield. Put up two at once!? Block through any boss attack. Shoulder shield could block attacks from the side, back or top. 2nd wrist shield? Why not!
Message 12 of 40 (327 Views)

★ Guide
I think the shield is a means of repositioning and CC (from my experience, and maybe you can build for a true tank later).

Dash, Sprint (whatever the lingo is) with shield up to damage and CC; reposition, fire weapons.

I think it's really awesome the seemingly infinite ways to make builds.

As others posted; Colossus can be high dps, then combine ranger's point dps increase with interceptor's mark etc
Message 13 of 40 (323 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

While I like the idea of the shield, right now its too restrictive and more of a hindrance. Many times I just forget to use it because it limits you down so much. The only times I actively think about it is when rushing some mob for knockdown.

Make all launchers usable with active shield up, not only lightning coil. There is also minimal implementation effort, as the Colossus holds the shield with the left hand anyway. So it doesn't make any sense why he cannot use his shoulder and right hand launcher.

Then to shoot your guns, you need to drop the shield. They are held with both hands, so it makes perfectly sense.

Message 14 of 40 (270 Views)

★ Apprentice

The colossus is insanely tanky when you get used to using your shield. It has the highest base HP and has jav specific mods with gargantuan bonuses (to both the health pool and shield amount) . Also the active shield can take damage, be put away, fully recharge, and be raised to take more damage all while in a fight. Giving it monstrous effective hp and good damage uptime. Other javs have to leave a fight for a good amount of time to get their passive shield to regen. It's a learning curve to use a shield but well worth it once you get the hang of it. Basically don't think of the Colossus as a typical RPG tank that can take all the bosses hits but more like a bruiser, slightly more defensible but ultimately still damage focused. Perhaps in end game you can become a super tank drawing all the mobs on you and taking no damage, but before masterwork mods you still are mortal Standard smile

tldr;

learn to use an active shield if you want to play colossus

learn that you arent a tank, you are just the most bulky of the suits.

Message 15 of 40 (253 Views)

★★★★ Novice

1: I disagree about the dodge, without a dodge it forces the player to consider positioning more as it lacks a oh * button, for the colossis i think this is a good thing

2: I disagree that it should always be out but agree that it should be able to fire with the shield up with the trade off of not being able to aim down sights instead only having the option to point shoot or hip fire while shield is up.

3: Agree

Also as a side note i seen someone arguing that all that weight would make him fall over, the shield is always attached to his left forearm anyway and he does not fall over, he can also fire a mortar and a seige cannon(which appears to be some manner of sawn off anti tank gun) without falling over. Plus that the suit seems to be controled with hydraulics so recoil from even a heavy weapon should be minimal combine this with him being the heaviest and having a mechanical connection between the gun and body recoil should have the least effect on him as the push back from the gun has alot more mass to move than any other jav.

Message 16 of 40 (244 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Kloneith wrote:

The colossus is insanely tanky when you get used to using your shield. It has the highest base HP and has jav specific mods with gargantuan bonuses (to both the health pool and shield amount) . Also the active shield can take damage, be put away, fully recharge, and be raised to take more damage all while in a fight. Giving it monstrous effective hp and good damage uptime. Other javs have to leave a fight for a good amount of time to get their passive shield to regen. It's a learning curve to use a shield but well worth it once you get the hang of it. Basically don't think of the Colossus as a typical RPG tank that can take all the bosses hits but more like a bruiser, slightly more defensible but ultimately still damage focused. Perhaps in end game you can become a super tank drawing all the mobs on you and taking no damage, but before masterwork mods you still are mortal Standard smile

tldr;

learn to use an active shield if you want to play colossus

learn that you arent a tank, you are just the most bulky of the suits.

Have you actually really played the class? Your post does not really read like it.

From the other threads a lot of people agree that the shield needs a rework. Nobody wants to facetank 10 mobs. It's more about versatility and functionality. The shield can be even 20% weaker, if it would not be so limiting.

Right now having the shield up pigeonholes you into one action: rush and knockdown. There is absolutely nothing else you can do with it.

Message 17 of 40 (226 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Also just my opinion: I like the shield mostly as-is. Shield usage is the majority of what I do on the colossus, and I like that. I think that managing your shield's health and facing in response to multiple threats is a major source of engagement when playing the colossus and something I enjoy building my gameplay around.

I do agree, however, that using gear while blocking sounds more fun than the current setup. I've mentioned in another thread that I want this ability mostly when using ordnance launchers, since they leave you exposed for longer than the heavy assault launchers, but I wouldn't be averse to being able to use all gear. I got a taste of being able to use ordnance launchers while blocking when I tried the lightning coil, and it felt so much better than having to facetank every time I need to ready, aim, and fire a mortar that it almost made me like being a bug zapper.

Message 18 of 40 (222 Views)

★★ Guide
@RoamanXO
It can very easily be used to reposition. For example the short duration I used the colossus I would use the shield to reposition if my current spot was compromised, say enemies rushed behind me or occasionally a luminary came to say high and step on me. During either of those I simply pop up my shield and quickly move to another safer spot and continue laying down area denial. If you could do normal actions like shooting and etc with the shield up it would become pointless, at that point you might as well just remove it and just give the colossus a regular energy shield like the rest of the javelins, which with how big a health pool his shield has that would become ridiculously strong.
Message 19 of 40 (218 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Grinue wrote:

I do agree, however, that using gear while blocking sounds more fun than the current setup. 

The previous poster @RoamanXO  wrote:

It's more about versatility and functionality. The shield can be even 20% weaker, if it would not be so limiting.

Right now having the shield up pigeonholes you into one action: rush and knockdown. There is absolutely nothing else you can do with it.

—————

I’m coming around to this line of thinking. It isn’t about colossus being weak, but about versatility and fun. I spend most of my time leaping between groups and doing melee smashes. Being able to mix it up a bit more and not having to rely so heavily on melee (because your options are so limited with the shield raised) would be a good thing.

Message 20 of 40 (219 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help