Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Colossus Shield Should Take No Damage

by Aetrion

Original Post

Colossus Shield Should Take No Damage

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I posted this in general discussion, not realizing the Colossus had his own thread. So please don't take this as spam, however this is what I suggested:

I can think of many ways to buff the Colossus but one I would really like to see implemented is the Colossus shield takes no damage. This would allow him to be an effective tank. He would be able to use battle cry and actual withstand the onslaught. It wouldn't make him too op as he would still take damage from the rear and sides. This seems only fair as he is the only Javelin that has to activate his shield for it to work.

Message 1 of 14 (653 Views)

★★ Apprentice
So if you put your back against a wall and open your shieldyou would be immortal?

Sorry man, I don't like this idea.

I'll main a Colossus myself and the only thing I'll change in this matter is the ability to use skills and weapons with shield up.
Message 2 of 14 (637 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I agree that the shield mechanic needs to be a little more thought out, because right now the primary defense of the Colossus is to just aggressively go after health drops and have so much HP that they restore phenomenal amounts of health. 

The primary issue with the shield is that the Colossus is the only Javelin where going on the defensive doesn't give you any disposable HP to use when you go on the offensive. With all the other Javelins their body shield lets you engage enemies, then when it gets low you start to evade or take cover to get the shield back, and if you skillfully switch back and forth between offense and defense that way you never lose any actual health.

The Colossus doesn't work that way, your shield is part of your defensive moves, since you can't really attack while using it, it regenerates when it's down and you're on the offense, and while you're on the offense you're taking all hits to your health, which doesn't regenerate unless you pick up drops.

So my suggestion to make the shield a better mechanic that is integral to the Colossus' long term survival would be that the shield stores energy as it gets hit, and when you drop the shield that energy is given to you as healing. The amount restored would depend on how low the shield was when you dropped it, with the first 50% of the shield only being worth 5% of health or so, but the closer you get to emptying the shield the more powerful the heal effect becomes, up to something like 30% when the shield is more than 95% depleted. This effect could only activate once for every full shield charge so that spamming the shield open and close when it hasn't recharged yet won't help you any. If the shield breaks you get nothing at all. 

So that mechanic would allow you to recover health by blocking damage, and is set up so that you need to try and take your shield to its limit to get the biggest benefit without having it broken. That introduces a significant skill element to managing the health on the Colossus. You basically need to take calculated risks. First you need to decide how many hits to your health you will take before opening your shield. If you take too many you won't be able to restore all of it off the shield absorb, if you take too little you could have done more damage before going on the defense. Then you need to try and block as much damage as possible before your shield breaks, and deactivate it just in time to get a big boost from the absorbed energy. If you drop it too early the healing is weak, and if you wait too long you get a shield break and you get nothing. 

A mechanic like that would make the Colossus into a much more skill based Javelin and not just a health drop addict. 

Message 3 of 14 (628 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So your gonna sit in a corner an entire expedition? Lmfaooo, have fun doing that.

Message 4 of 14 (622 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

He does have a point, if the shield is completely invulnerable there is just too much of a potential for cheese. Like you could tank a Grandmaster 3 without even having any augments equipped by just using shout and keeping your back to a wall. Nothing should be absolute, especially in a game that's about progression and finding better gear.

Message 5 of 14 (619 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So you think it's possible to sit in a corner an entire expedition and do what exactly? You cant kill anything so how is that effective at all? How can you win, accomplish feats, help your team? That honestly, if someone chooses to do it, is the dumbest idea I've heard. There is no incentive to sit in a corner and stay there. Yeah not buying it.

Message 6 of 14 (604 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm not saying people will sit in a corner for the whole expedition, but if shields are completely invulnerable it still breaks the game because it introduces an absolute. The amount of damage the enemy inflicts on you simply doesn't matter anymore at all. That means things like your gear level, difficulty setting or number of enemies no longer have any effect on how well your shield works, it's always 100% effective, no matter what. That kind of thing completely undermines scaling factors in the game. It also makes tanking extremely easy because you don't need to dodge anything or ever get a breather to recharge your shield, the only thing that limits your effectiveness is whether or not you can keep aggro and whether or not you can keep all enemies on one side of you. Also what about lightning coil? It allows you to attack with your shield up, so if the shield can't be broken at all you can slowroll any enemy in the game with a lightning coil. 

This just doesn't add up to good gameplay. Yes, it's not like people can just sit behind their shield all day and accomplish much, but you've completely undermined gear progression and difficulty, and  you've eliminated any consideration of how much damage your shield can actually take. With an impenetrable shield you can tank absolutely anything forever without any skill required except looking in its general direction. That isn't an improvement. It doesn't make the Colossus more interesting to play or add ways to become better at it, it takes away a lot of the skill involved and a lot of the benefit of gear and threat of higher difficulties by introducing absolutes. 

Lastly, when you introduce something like this it has a profoundly negative impact on future content development. The devs won't be able to create challenging new content when you've already established a mechanic that allows certain Javelins to survive absolutely anything. Doesn't matter if they add an enemy that does a billion damage with a hitscan laser, as long as you have your shield up you're fine, and that means all future content that is supposed to be challenging has to be built to subvert that shield mechanic. They will be forced to make all bosses and encounters able to hit you from behind to do any damage at all, and then they will be forced to include attacks that instant kill you if you don't block them just so the shield still has a reason to exist once all attacks that are designed to do damage are able to bypass it somehow. It's just not doing the game any favors.

Message 7 of 14 (588 Views)

★★★★ Novice

You speak as if a shield that doesn't break makes you immortal. The shield only blocks damage from the front, you still take damage from the sides and back. When you compare this to other Javelins the Colossus really got the short end of the stick. His shield is not always active so you will always take damage to armor before you activate it. You got only one skill that works while its up and we both know that is not doing much in the way of damage. You cant shoot, you cant reload, you cant dodge. No other Javelin has these issues but the Colossus yet his shield suffers the same mechanic as the other Javelins. That's not balanced. I keep hearing people say gear make it better that doesn't change the fact that his shield does not cover him completely, you have to activate it, and he is almost useless while using it. As it stands Battle Cry is useless cause his shield in no way is tanking that much dps with or without gear. The Colossus is the only Javelin that needs gear to be good. So while others gear up to be better the Colossus gears up to get to their basic level. Yeah, nah, still not buying that the shield being indestructible is somehow gonna break the game. There is still plenty of reason to play for loot and get good gear. 

Message 8 of 14 (583 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've explained the reasons why having a shield that is not bounded by any numbers at all is bad for the game. It has nothing to do with whether or not it makes you completely invulnerable, it simply completely cuts progression and content difficulty out of the equation unless the content is specifically designed to attack the weaknesses you still have. So by wanting the shield to be perfect you actually make it useless. 

It's the same as saying you want a gun that one shots any enemy, but it has very little ammo and is really inaccurate and has a long charge up time. Sure, those are all huge downsides, but at the end of the day you still created a mechanic that overrules progression and difficulty, makes the entire game about trying to bring about situations where its absolute power can be used unchecked, and forces the devs to create content specifically to be impossible to trivialize with this mechanic. 

It's just a bad idea, sorry.

Message 9 of 14 (559 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@dabest2evadoit3 wrote:

So your gonna sit in a corner an entire expedition? Lmfaooo, have fun doing that.

You don't have to, but you can easily do it, agro the enemies in front of you and go revive your team mates.

Making a whole party of Colossi would also be OP since none of them could realy be killed if they manage to keep their back guarded.

Having any kind of GOD mode is game breaking IMO.

@Aetrion gave a good suggestion and I would rather have that than an indestructible shield.

Message 10 of 14 (546 Views)
Twitter Stream