Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Colossus Needs a Rework

by crackdownjr

Original Post

Colossus Needs a Rework

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

IMG_20190201_164235_808.jpgThis is something that needs to be discussed because it's unfortunate that one of four javelins is basically useless. I know there are plenty of Colossus fans who will disagree, but let's just look into the facts before we open up this discussion.

Let's take a look at the other 3 javelins:
1. All have a naturally occurring spherical shield that blocks incoming damage from all directions
2. All have the ability to dodge to avoid damage
3. All have the ability to both attack and dodge while their shield is up

Now let's take a look at the Colossus:
1. No natural spherical shield
2. No ability to dodge to avoid damage
3. Deployable shield takes place of dodge function, only blocks damage in one direction
4. No ability to attack while shielding

Now I understand that with better equipment, components, etc the javelins health and shields can potentially be massive, but it's hp pool will have to get pretty damn high to compete with the other javelins. The only hope for the Colossus as of now is that items at higher levels/rarity will make it unkillable. Plus a base hp/shield boost to make it an actual tank at early levels too.

The survivability of every other javelin far outshines the Colossus and that doesn't even take into account their ability to apply constant damage while surviving. At the very least the Colossus needs the ability to attack while shielding. I'm struggling to come up even one good reason why anyone should play the Colossus over any other javelin besides "I like it" or "it looks cool" or "it can charge into things". I'm begging for you guys to tell me.

Lastly, I won't say it's completely useless. Any javelin can be viable with sufficient items/leveling/skill. But the Colossus simply pales in comparison to the competition.

(Pictured: Donatello Colossus I created back 

when I was excited to play it)

EDIT: I'm adding some solutions that could help balance the Colossus and possibly put it on the same tier as the others

1. Add an overshield like the others, making the hand shield an added means of absorbing damage, much like dodging for the others is a means of avoiding damage. With this they wouldn't need suggestions 2 or 3 because the shield would be used for added protection, as opposed to being required for basic survival as it is now.

2. Raise hp and/or rate of hp recovery

3. Ability to shoot and use equipment while holding shield

Message 1 of 152 (7,365 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Guide
It’s not useless at all. It can put out the most damage for the team and take a beating. If you are playing it right you want die. If you are trying to play it like a tank of the holy trinity. You are playing it wrong. I think a overshield would be good for it. But outside that. The class is amazing
Message 2 of 152 (7,337 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
What I'd say Colossus needs that doesn't buff him too much in endgame is no stun when the shield breaks, and the ability for the shield to start recharging while he has his shield out, even if it takes twice as long.
Message 3 of 152 (7,325 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have to agree that the inability to use a shield and fire at the same time is a tremendous flaw, especially considering the directional nature of the shield being a MASSIVE limitation on an already limited defense.

I suppose it's possible there will be components and such that make it more useful later on, with the right build. But as it stands, the shield seems excessively weak, with far too many drawbacks for its limited utility. 

Message 4 of 152 (7,323 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

It’s not really specifically meant as a “tank” per se. There are no “tanks” in Anthem just like there is no “healer” javelin. It’s a different suit with a different set of abilities for when you’re bored of playing other ones.

You can build it for survivability in a specific expedition, but people have also had success building it for DPS, to the point of saying it is going to be the only javelin people will use and it needs to be nerfed. The only way it’s going to be useless is if you start out with a preconcieved notion for what it’s “supposed” to do and give up when it doesn’t do that.

Also, in the full game you will not be restricted to having just two of them, so by the time you’ll have four it will just be a question of picking the right tool for the job.

And again, it has already been stated even before the VIP demo went live that the balance in the release version will be very different. The balance right now is just to give you a general idea of the game mechanics and how they interact with each other even after playing for only a couple hours. This is not the final pass, just like 25 coins won’t be the final price for all cosmetic items.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 5 of 152 (7,311 Views)

★★ Guide

@Shaddoll23 wrote:
It’s not useless at all. It can put out the most damage for the team and take a beating. If you are playing it right you want die. If you are trying to play it like a tank of the holy trinity. You are playing it wrong. I think a overshield would be good for it. But outside that. The class is amazing

If you're playing easier difficulties/ missions it's not much of a problem. But on higher difficulties and missions (stronghold on hard), where the limits of the javelins are tested, is where the flaws of the colossus really stand out. 

If the colossus is supposed to be a tank that can't dodge then it should be able to take a reasonable amount of damage, not die quicker than all the other javelins. Especially since all you do is stand there with your shield out, unable to use your equipment or shoot. And on higher difficulties you're dead if you charge in for a shield bash, since the enemies surround you and shoot you from the sides and in the back, which are protected for every javelin besides the "tank".

I'd much rather use any other javelin and deal damage while dodging, and in the off chance my shield goes down I can hide behind a rock, let it recharge, then rinse and repeat

Message 6 of 152 (7,300 Views)

★★ Guide

@cake404 wrote:

It’s not really specifically meant as a “tank” per se. There are no “tanks” in Anthem just like there is no “healer” javelin. It’s a different suit with a different set of abilities for when you’re bored of playing other ones.

You can build it for survivability in a specific expedition, but people have also had success building it for DPS, to the point of saying it is going to be the only javelin people will use and it needs to be nerfed. The only way it’s going to be useless is if you start out with a preconcieved notion for what it’s “supposed” to do and give up when it doesn’t do that.

Also, in the full game you will not be restricted to having just two of them, so by the time you’ll have four it will just be a question of picking the right tool for the job.

And again, it has already been stated even before the VIP demo went live that the balance in the release version will be very different. The balance right now is just to give you a general idea of the game mechanics and how they interact with each other even after playing for only a couple hours. This is not the final pass, just like 25 coins won’t be the final price for all cosmetic items.

I was thinking about this too, that it might not have to be thought of as a tank, but even then it's pros don't outweigh it's * (yet). If I want AoE damage I'd rather choose the Storm, if I want to get close and personal to quickly dispatch an enemy I'd rather choose the Interceptor, and the Ranger can do both better than the Colossus. The worst part is that while the Colossus is dealing damage and getting shot at it loses hp, which doesn't recharge nearly as fast as shields (in combat). That makes the other 3 javelins actually better at taking damage than the Colossus without even factoring in dodging.

Message 7 of 152 (7,286 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Nah mate. I’ve been using it on hard. I’ve only been playing hard.
I use sticky grenade with flame thrower plus lightning coil.

I walk forward using both my abilities dropping everything and refilling my health as I walk. I don’t need to dodge. Only time I use my shield is to block a sniper shot or to take on a hunters initial fire while moving to cover and wait for him to drop. The second they stop firing. I drop my shield and kill them and my health is full again and my shields fully recharged.

You straight up can do the most damage in the group. It’s insane. If you are just holding your shield up at everything. You are going to get worn down and have a problem. You can facetank a lot. It’s got a lot of health and gets pretty big chunks of health back for what it kills. Stay moving and killing and only occasionally raise your shield and you won’t die.
Message 8 of 152 (7,284 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@crackdownjr wrote:

This is something that needs to be discussed because it's unfortunate that one of four javelins is basically useless. I know there are plenty of Colossus fans who will disagree, but let's just look into the facts before we open up this discussion.

Let's take a look at the other 3 javelins:
1. All have a naturally occurring spherical shield that blocks incoming damage from all directions
2. All have the ability to dodge to avoid damage
3. All have the ability to both attack and dodge while their shield is up

Now let's take a look at the Colossus:
1. No natural spherical shield
2. No ability to dodge to avoid damage
3. Deployable shield takes place of dodge function, only blocks damage in one direction
4. No ability to attack while shielding

Now I understand that with better equipment, components, etc the javelins health and shields can potentially be massive, but it's hp pool will have to get pretty damn high to compete with the other javelins. The only hope for the Colossus as of now is that items at higher levels/rarity will make it unkillable. Plus a base hp/shield boost to make it an actual tank at early levels too.

The survivability of every other javelin far outshines the Colossus and that doesn't even take into account their ability to apply constant damage while surviving. At the very least the Colossus needs the ability to attack while shielding. I'm struggling to come up even one good reason why anyone should play the Colossus over any other javelin besides "I like it" or "it looks cool" or "it can charge into things". I'm begging for you guys to tell me.

Lastly, I won't say it's completely useless. Any javelin can be viable with sufficient items/leveling/skill. But the Colossus simply pales in comparison to the competition.

(Pictured: Donatello Colossus I created back 

when I was excited to play it)

Colossus is very wonky to start. It absolutely is. There is a very big difference with how it plays vs how all the other suit plays, completely different. However, when you start getting decent gear it gets a lot better and when you start figuring out how the system's dance, it's even better.  Even though it's marketed as more of a tank, and it can take a lot more punishment than the other suits, you're still not able to stand out in the open for the enemy swarm to facemelt you.  Which is a little counter intuitive to today's modern tank philosophy.

In Anthem, every little granular detail is about strategy, technique, loadout, positioning, and most importantly for colossus, tactics.  Use cover as best you can to give yourself a reprieve from the fray when you need it.  Components with +health will make your colossus life a great deal easier. +shields work on your arm shield, so boosting that as well can make it very beefy (On mine, I can withstand three main gun shells in succession from the Luminary on hard without breaking, if just barely).

Charging in and shield bashing enemies can stun them, then jump+standard melee for heavy melee damage.  Use aim while having your shield out to position it to the correct spot while moving.  Pay close attention to your abilities and weapons to get a loadout that feels good, while thinking about long range damage vs close range damage.

All in all it boils down to, find gear with +shields +health.  Run and shield (and in some cases fly + shield for mid-air bull rushing).  Use aim (weapon secondary) while your shield is out to point the shield on the quick. Break up the incoming damage with terrain. Be mindful of builds and abilities and where you want to be in the battle (I highly recommend flame thrower + lightning coil for self detonating combos). And lastly drop your shield to recharge it between incoming waves of damage.  If you have a brief moment while the sniper charges and aim, drop shield to recharge.  Just before the sniper shoots pull it back up to block the shot, drop again.  rinse repeat.

My biggest complaint with colossus are the heavy weapons.  In the demo, they don't do all that much damage for being a restricted armament.  That combined with the painfully slow reload makes them not very viable.  I'm hoping the damage numbers (and blast radius) have been improved upon in the release build.

Stick with the colossus, once you get down the mechanics, it'll be dope.

Message 9 of 152 (7,269 Views)

★★★★ Novice

In fairness that flamer + coil combo is pretty much the only viable build for it on hard right now.

The combos in general are the most powerful thing in the game with the possible exception of the interceptors ability that causes a explosion on death of the target which is also a primer. The coil is effectively a Automatic combo gun pair this with a flamer or better yet a primer storm and it is devastating but does this really mean the colossus is in a good place if one single peice of equipment is over tuned?

Message 10 of 152 (7,259 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help