Re: Close Origin on Exit Instead of Minimizing to System Tray

by holger1405

Original Post

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Darko Why is this still a thing? X means close, not minimize. Stop forcing us to go through stupid menus to close something. You can steam need to fix your sh*t
Message 11 of 20 (1,576 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

When are you going to fix this?

'x' means close

no i dont want your crappy app to keep running in my tray

[Edit Holger1405, removed all caps.]

Message 12 of 20 (1,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jandaman94 @Red7silence 

It is normal the behaviour of any gaming client I know, Steam, GOG, Epic, Bethesda and so on.

Also normal behaviour for other applications that are supposed to be running in the background because they provide certain functionality like the driver control centre.

So, no, they will not fix that, it is intended behaviour and not uncommon either.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 13 of 20 (1,496 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@holger1405 Whether or not it's intended and whether or not it's uncommon is 100% irrelevant. Just because a lot of companies are doing, doesn't mean it's a good practice. And it sure as hell is not convenient or even safe security wise for the user.

I don't want to deal with this being on my computer 100% of the time. I want to be able to close the damn application easily, with 1 click, like every other damn application I have on my computer. That is MORE common than these stupid video game companies trying to sell your data in the background.
Message 14 of 20 (1,483 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Red7silence 

You can close it with two clicks.

If that is not good enough for you, you should not use Origin or any other game client for that matter and a few dozen other programs that behave in the same way, because this is not going to change.

This is a security measure so that people don't shut down the client, and the game they play in the process, by accident.

There is also no rule by MS on how a program has to act if you click X. That is to determine by the developer and the function of the software.

All data that might be collected by Origin is collected if the program runs at all, no matter how long it runs.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 15 of 20 (1,475 Views)

★★★ Novice

Steam actually gives you the option to change the 'X' to actually close the program rather than minimising. It is only Origin (from what I've seen) that dictates it has to always be running. If there are things like drivers at play, they can be managed separately from the app. There is no reason that drivers should mean I have every other part of the application inflicted upon me 24/7.

This is literally the reason I stopped using Origin at all. While it is only one extra click, it is awkward and the only reason to do it like that rather than give us the choice is to make enough of a hassle hurdle (doing it every time rather than as a one-off) to make us just leave it open. Either that or their designers are just incompetent. 

Message 16 of 20 (1,463 Views)

@Khymori 

Can you point me to this setting in Steam?

Message 17 of 20 (1,434 Views)

★★★ Newbie

literally every app that does that has an option to turn it off, no shot you type that when you never even tried to turn it off elsewhere.

I dOnT wOrK fOr Ea

Message 18 of 20 (1,325 Views)

@ohesnoes 

OK, so maybe you can point me to the setting in Steam? Standard smile

Message 19 of 20 (1,307 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, I'm going to lock this thread as at this stage it is going around in circles.

I will pass all your feedback on to our team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 20 of 20 (1,293 Views)