Clarity on the TOS - reporting for homophobia is bannable?

by Jastiger

Original Post

Clarity on the TOS - reporting for homophobia is bannable?

★★★ Novice

There doesn't seem to be any TOS crew as other folks have said there is so I"m once again turning to help here form the community.

I received this response as to why I was banned:

The action pertains to the following violation:
Hateful Conduct
Chatlogs:
:report for homophobia

After thoroughly investigating your account and concern, we found that your account was actioned correctly and will not remove this sanction from your account.

This very clearly is citing as evidence someone reporting for homophobia as a reason for punishing for hateful conduct.

This clearly does not make sense, its clearly counter to what the TOS claims, and its clearly not been reviewed by any team member or employee.  This also doesn't comport with what the TOS says is to be done in this situation.  Is there any way to get situations like this in front of team members since its clearly a bot or script replying to these situations?

Message 1 of 6 (380 Views)

Re: Clarity on the TOS - reporting for homophobia is bannable?

Champion

@Jastiger 

Asking others to report a user for certain behaviour could be considered a violation in a vague sense, though I doubt it was due to that.

Either way, here on AHQ these issues cannot be dealt with, especially account bans, which have to go through the ToS team.

As far I'm aware, nobody on here will be able to assist you with the issue.

Message 2 of 6 (367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Life lesson 101, their game they make the rules, EA and Respawn can and will do as they please and there is nothing anyone else can do about it. Simple answer is, no there is nothing you can do about it. In the future, refrain from joining conversations about any subject considered remotely political.  No matter how hard they press you into speaking your mind. 

To expand on this; I am not homophobic but back at the university I attended, I had a polite conversation about the subject of homosexuals.  I was accused by the homosexual of the group of being bias and homophobic.  While I didn't continue the debate or make any additional statements to defend my position, the person reported me to the faculty for official reprimand.  Apparently that was not good enough for them, they felt so offended by our polite conversation among friends, they pressed to have me censured.  While it never went that far,  it would seem now anytime someone tells you the sky is blue and you have another opinion, you are forced to agree with them or suffer their wrath.  Since those days, I am now very bias, especially toward people who desire to lord their personal life choices over us.  

Message 3 of 6 (363 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Xubunnytwo wrote:

To expand on this; I am not homophobic but back at the university I attended, I had a polite conversation about the subject of homosexuals.  I was accused by the homosexual of the group of being bias and homophobic.  While I didn't continue the debate or make any additional statements to defend my position, the person reported me to the faculty for official reprimand.  Apparently that was not good enough for them, they felt so offended by our polite conversation among friends, they pressed to have me censured.  While it never went that far,  it would seem now anytime someone tells you the sky is blue and you have another opinion, you are forced to agree with them or suffer their wrath.  Since those days, I am now very bias, especially toward people who desire to lord their personal life choices over us.  

This is the new cancel culture. People can only see one way or another and in denial of what is between.

You are right if a person in any way chooses to have different opinion from majority. The only way is social media. I don't have social media. If I want to talk to friends I do it the old fashioned way. Call them to go to restaurant or bar. But it's first place people go to mass attack, but no guts to do it face to face.

Bit like forums. You'll get that one person who furiously acts like a keyboard warrior trying to justify or validate themselves and must have last say to basically random strangers. Too much effort and time is expended because 1 in 1000 someone will admit they're "wrong". Futile game of words. 

I mean to apply this to Apex Legends is like this. If someone is verbally/text chat abused. They want to bait them into a response, which imples they were successful in making them upset. Best way to get someone back is to simply ignore them, they lose. Fact is VOIP is not bannable as not monitored, god knows why someone would choose to type chat conversations in the middle of a BR game!

Message 4 of 6 (345 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think the fact that i can highlight I was punished for reporting homophobia and the responses to the post is....more homophobia and right wing nonsense I think goes a very long way towards demonstrating just how broken the moderation and TOS system is with EA right now.

Message 5 of 6 (325 Views)

Community Manager

You will need to speak to our Terms of Service team @Jastiger 

The process to contact our ToS team can be found here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/information-about-banned-or-suspended-accounts/

1. Click Contact us at the top of any page on EA Help.
  2. Select the game that your account was banned or suspended from. If it’s on your whole EA Account, choose Origin.
  3. Choose your platform.
  4. Select Manage my account, then Banned or suspended account.
  5. Fill out any other details below.
    • For example, if you picked Origin, it might ask you if you are accessing the game through an Origin Access membership.
  6. Click Select contact option.
  7. Sign in to your account that has the ban or suspension, if you aren’t already.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 6 (309 Views)