Re: Chomper's Burrow Ability Needs Balancing

by arit0824

Original Post

★★★★★ Expert
I have completely no idea what you people are talking about. Burrow sucks in this game as it is now. I’m not a chomper main. Heck I don’t even like using him. But I did it to see how he was and here are my findings:

In PvE, his burrow is king because the AI will most likely do a futile attempt to dodge it but will be captured by it.

In PvP however, it’s so apparent when a chomper’s coming for you. I don’t even wear my headphones for this game yet I can hear a chomper burrowing behind me... unless there’s a ZPG being charged right next to me or something.

In PvE, the burrow feels like GW1/2, it’ll go instantaneously. In PvP however, I don’t know what the big deal is devs, the burrow doesn’t feel fluid to put is mildly. I’ll be under someone running spamming RT while that zombie’s laughing and eating a hamburger and wooo, yup burrow didn’t work and I’m dead. Even at a stationary player enemy, it takes some time to actually burrow.

But then in one game there’s 2 enemy players and 1 AI running together. Lo and behold the 2 guys running I can’t burrow for some reason, but when I accidentally press RT under the AI, bam instantly burrow. It’s $%*#£ ridiculous.

Then lets talk about actually eating. It takes so long, your basically paralyzed when chomping down and when you finally can move, you move slow and without any offense/defense at your exposal. You’re just basically advertising ‘fresh vanquish over here, come get it while it’s hot and gooey’.

I even got the mastication ability and tried it out. It helps maybe lessen the whole chomping down and being vulnerable for like 0.5-1 sec but it’s still too long.

If you automatically gained health for chowing down like in GW2 (I believe it was only with 1 variant of chomper but not sure) it would be fine, but if you’re in a heavily occupied area burrowing, you can just wait until you see the respawn option
Message 11 of 19 (496 Views)

★ Apprentice

My only problem with the burrow chomp is that it makes you unrevivable. The zombies do not have a character that makes plants unrevivable. When you get eaten by a chomper burrow it really sucks because there is no opportunity to be revived. I think they should change that. Makes it difficult for zombies to hold a point if they have to keep walking back with no revives. 

Message 12 of 19 (482 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I have my Chomper at Super Elite. He gets buffs to Burrow there. Still nothing special. People can outrun your Burrow or just jump around like crazy to avoid it. It also does not help you to escape fast enough if under fire while chewing.

The only thing i think  that needs a little addressing is the activation of it. Its weird and way too fast. The Burrow can connect a moment after the Chomper hit the ground. Its like Sprint Burrow on drugs.

Message 13 of 19 (467 Views)

★ Apprentice

So, despite the fact they've taken way his ability to eat zombies from behind, and that his goop is completely trash now. 

Not even mentioning that all characters are able to Sprint now. 

You want them to nerf the only good thing the has it going for him?  Dafk dude. 

Which btw, it has been in the game for ever. 

Try playing him a couple of times to get a better idea of the pros and * of burrow.

They way you put it, it seems as if there is no draw back to this ability... Cough you die cough

Message 14 of 19 (421 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Ever played Loggy Acres vs 5 Chompers while carrying a bomb? with no engineers in your team? Good luck winning!

*I'm only talking about Turf Takeover final objectives for now*

I think that one of the reasons the success rate for the plants is really high on Loggy Acres is because of Chompers trapping every corner and burrowing most of the time since they know where the bomb is coming from. It's an infuriating experience with zero gun play. I'm supposed to rely on my teammates but will they really try to counter those Chompers? It rarely happens.

On the other hand, the success rate seems higher for plants too in Turning Point (getting batteries) I'd say out of 10 games, 6 or 7 games are usually won by plants in there (the plants team  must be really bad if they couldn't win this). Let's imagine that the zombies had a Chomper as a teammate in the same exact map, do you think the plants would manage to escape with batteries? as soon as those Chompers see where the batteries are, they will burrow towards them and insta-kill them. Just like Loggy Acres.

Yes, you can avoid a Chomper if you're 1v1ing them in normal situations and most zombies can find a way to deal with it. It still makes it difficult for the zombies to do their roles (e.g. a Chomper that always kills Scientists or key players during contesting phases. Super Brainz may not be able to do the same thing to the enemy Sunflower because she can always overheal herself (after she unlocks those upgrades). And then she might just get "revived" by others while Super Brainz die in the process.).

*Disclaimer: I'm talking about games that have more than 2 Chompers. 1~2 Chompers are usually fine. Unless they're both really good.

Message 15 of 19 (397 Views)

★ Pro

It GW2 chomper all over again except that now every zombie have at least the options to sprint to outrun it.

The only time where burrow should kill you is if you were busy fighting another plant or if you were stuck at some place for any reason, otherwise you should be able to either see or heard it. And that you're cue to get the fug out of there and to climb some car or something to prevent him to reach you.

Thankfully it seem that bunch of people here are already experimented enough to know that.

Message 16 of 19 (378 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@GammaX6To be fair, the same can be said about catus potatoe mines.
Both are pretty damn annoying to deal with on that map, but I'd say it's more the maps fault than the characters. Just too many choke points that make the map insanely in plants favor.

Is there a way to break the machines throwing the marshmallows?

Message 17 of 19 (366 Views)

★ Guide
@Gowron248 Maybe it’s ps4 that is different. I never had problems with marshmallow map or battery map. Maybe plants win slightly more on battery map, but the marshmallow map are pretty even in wins and loses.
Message 18 of 19 (351 Views)

★ Apprentice

If you ever played PvZGW2 you would know that the burrow ability is not OP. They nerfed it into the ground. Now it's a risk reward situation. The digestion time is incredible and you will die almost always if you eat someone in a crowded area. They also reduced the burrow time as well so no more long burrowing. You gotta plan.

Message 19 of 19 (337 Views)