Chomper needs buff

by marche567

Original Post

Re: Chomper needs buff

★ Apprentice

I find chomper to be one of the most frustrating characters to play right now other than snapdragon. Burrow is suppose to be a one shot ability but i have run into a few problems with it. I can only seem to get players that have been standing completely still for a few seconds, if they are moving even slightly i can spam R2 directly underneath them and it wont trigger at all. Another major issue ive had is being killed by the zombie i am trying to eat. Literally 1 shot by a super brainz after i triggered a successful burrow. What the heck is that about.

Message 21 of 40 (634 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Chomper is pretty useless in this game, and the chomp mechanism is currently bugged so a lot of the time he doesn't even uproot underneath an enemy

Message 22 of 40 (631 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Bring back OG chomper with an animation for spikeweed that you LAY down.  How i miss goop and eating from behind and off my spikeweed chrismas tree.  He was always my favorite until this game. 

Message 23 of 40 (580 Views)

★ Guide
@spIash_damage I know i used goop differently too. I wonder if they changed it because you can't eat from behind anymore?
Message 24 of 40 (574 Views)

★ Pro

Don't know about PvP, but Chomper is certainly slaying PvE. Just wish his perks were cheaper.

Message 25 of 40 (566 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Chomper is great in PvP if you use him as a sniper. up close his chomp is not too strong so spaming is required but from a distance you are definitely good.

Message 26 of 40 (551 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@FootSoldier9908 A chomper is a meele character whats up with ea destroying his meele capacities and giving him a large distance weapon
Message 27 of 40 (547 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

It's very interesting how people want the "Grody Goop" to be buffed when I actually think it should be tuned down a bit.

Let me explain to you how the Grody Goop works:

• Grody Goop has a huge radius that can infect zombies with "toxicity". With an ability buff of "Upset Stomach: Longer duration of Grody Goop." you'll have it on that area of a longer time.
  • After one of the zombies is infected, they get 35 damage and then 1 damage per second for 15 seconds. (if I'm not mistaken about the numbers)
  • The toxicity transfers from a zombie to another upon contact. That means during the 15 seconds mentioned above, if that infected zombie came close to another zombie, the other zombies will get 35 damage upon infection and then 15 seconds of 1 damage over time.

Why is it actually OP?

• The zombies are denied health regeneration for 15 seconds. (to some people, the 1 damage per second might seem underwhelming, but it actually slows down the health regeneration process while weakening every zombie by 35 + 15 = 50 HP)
  • In an objective based game where zombies will most likely gather around one place (pushing payload, stopping payload, contesting on zones), this ability can infect more than half of the zombies and deny them health regeneration.
  • Not only that, it also applies to all summonable zombies as well. 
  • In some cases, the infection process could last a very long time, since players are still infecting each other, even after you get your ability back. (if I'm not mistaken)

Knowing all that, I started playing Chomper entirely different than anyone else. I sneak up on hordes of enemies... Spit my Goop, burrow my way back and watch everyone infecting each another while laughing out loud seeing 1's all over the screen. And when they come to the objective, I still goop them again and again... Guess what? I get a lot of assists and in some cases, kills... If you ask me, this ability itself is way much better than burrow in terms of "usefulness".

Factor in that I have 2 traps and can place up to 4 traps in total. Each trap does 75 damage (that kills an imp in one shot, other injured enemies could die from it). Traps during "overtime" can be overkill. The enemies will have to rush and push, having no other choice but to step in.

If I'm not mistaken, a Scientist is the only hero that can deny toxicity. If the enemy team doesn't have one, then they'll suffer without having to regenerate health.

Chomper's "new" role, by design, is probably to deny pesky zombies from trying to break and disrupt the plant's defense lines. What do I mean by that exactly? For example, a Deadbeard tries to use his barrel to explode your teammates. The Burrow is a perfect ability to counter it (assuming it's not a bug that he can swallow his barrel now).  The burrow helps keeping away cocky Super Brainz players from waltzing in and taking down your allies at back. Chomper's burrow is best used around teammates because you'll most likely die in 1v2 situations. But since there are many "Kamikaze" players in this game and too many Chompers, it seems like they are OP to some players. *Kamikaze players = players who just burrow and swallow anyone without any strategy and then just die anyways. Claiming that Chomper sucks.

Throughout my journey to make Chomper Master, I rarely used burrow to swallow anyone as it puts me in vulnerable situations. I try to swallow around teammates who would cover for me. Or when I know for sure that there is only 1 enemy around the corner. Or I intentionally swallow "good obnoxious Super Brainz" players who have 40+ vanquishes when my team's top vanquishes is only 20. This is when I know that I have to do something about that problematic player and not worry about the consequences. Because he is the real reason why we can't defend or push. (The aftermath of Engineers and Super Brainz in attached screenshot. This is when I had to switch to Chomper and deal with the issue. Luckily, they couldn't push beyond the next point.) Otherwise, if there were 2 players in the vicinity, it's better to just goop them, disable their abilities, and try to take them down quickly. When in danger, burrow your way back to safety.

There is no one definite way to play a hero in this game, Your play style might be different than mine. And I respect that. I just wanted to express my findings and feelings towards the topic.

*Disclaimer: no offense to any players here. 

*Edit: Format and Tweaks

Message 28 of 40 (524 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@GammaX6I haven't focused much on chomper yet but my personal impression so far (stressed, underlined, in red bold italics!) is that if I think of the attack as being more like the chomp cannon ability, it'll be easier to adjust to. Amazing analysis - that will help enormously, thanks!

ADDED: When playing as a zombie, I got the feeling that spikeweeds were much easier to destroy than they used to be - is that my imagination??

Message 29 of 40 (490 Views)

★★ Guide

Yeah i was getting supremely frustrated playing Chomper. Having trouble with burrow chomp activating, he can't insta kill from behind anymore, and he just feels out of place now. People were complaining about his range ability... but i mean this poor guy got the worst of all the nerfs iv'e seen imo. 

Message 30 of 40 (477 Views)