Re: Chomper Rework Idea?

by Provin915

Original Post

Chomper Rework Idea?

★★ Guide

Listen, Chomper is fundamentally very hard to balance. I think we all can agree. Since the beginning of GW1, he has been an odd character, but I think that Popcap can make him more balanced. I think that he needs two specific reworks to his abilities.

1.Burrow. No matter how hard they try, Chomper will annoy a ton of people with his one-shot mechanic. Currently, if he eats too fast, then people will think he is too cheap, but people also think he would be too weak if it isn't fast enough. I think that Burrow should only eat a Zombie when they are half health, or below. However, he would get a buff to his time to consume an enemy. This would make it so Chomper's who can widdle down zombies with Slobber Shot are rewarded, and prevents any further balancing problems with him in Battle Arena. I also think that if the enemy is above 50% health, then Chomper does a weak bite attack, maybe 25 damage. This would make it so Chompers have to think about when to use Burrow and how they execute it. Burrow should still be able to eat AI zombies at full health.

2.Spikeweed. This ability needs some help. It is poor in many aspects, but I think it can be made strong. In my opinion, I think Spikeweed is supposed to cut off exits and watch flanks, so I think making it more effective at that would vastly improve it. Spikeweed should have a decent radius around it where it can grab an enemy, dealing 25 damage. Then, it would drag the zombie onto the Spikeweed and deal 40 damage. The Spikeweed can still be destroyed while in this animation, so an ally can help prevent the damage. This will give Chomper a better ability that could give him an edge in getting away or trapping his foes for an easy kill. Lastly, they should remove the feature of it bouncing on the ground. I like the idea of it bouncing, but I think that should only be for walls and ceilings, but I understand if this is too hard to implement. 

I think the rest of his kit are fine, but these two abilities could use this. It would make him a fairer opponent and give him a proper change.

Message 1 of 10 (841 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Imo, the current version of Chomper is already much greater than GW1/2's version, because you can ranged damage.However, there is always room for improvement!

-I think Goop is in the right place (not too OP, but still a good skill);

-Spikeweed should definitely be  changed back to GW2's version; edit: I also think this should be more ''stealthy''

-Burrow has always been in a tricky spot. As you said, if the Chomper is too fast, it's cheasy, but if it's not fast every zombie character can ''easily'' out-sprint a burrowing Chomper (unless the Chomper has increased movement speed upgrade). I think the base Burrow speed should be increased slighly, so only zombie characters with movement abilities can dodge it (e.g. Soldier Rocket  Leap or 80s Dynamite Dodge).

Perhaps, the base digestion speed can be increased as well, without the need of upgrades. Or temporarily increased damage reduction while digesting (could be OP of course, so requires testing).

In any  case, the ranged damage is insane if you can time the shots  and have decent aim..

Message 2 of 10 (830 Views)

★ Pro
Overall, I like your ideas, but there are some other things I'd like to change.
1. Slobber Shot should be similar to Snapdragon's in which enemies escaping his range can still be vanquished if caught in their secondary's projectile if played properly. Instead of being a sniper-like attack e.g. Electric Slide & Wizard's primary, it should be a projectile like Snapdragon & Engineer. Because sniping at mid-range (assuming the zombie hasn't ran across the map at that point from Chomper) isn't viable, it should act like that instead.
2. There should be an indicator for when a zombie's health is below 50%. Because of the complications of who's above the chomping block & did I deplete him enough, Chomper should have an easier time to know who has that status by simply being close to zombies.
Message 3 of 10 (820 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Chomper is so bad -.- Burrow hit detection is still horrendous all zombies have to do is bunny hop and you can't catch them. Actually did you guys know Wizard can use Zeelixer while you're just about to swallow them? I didn't know that. And to make it worse, they can also use Co-Star in the middle of of being swallowed as well. AND TO MAKE IT WORSE even though you did not swallow them the animation still shows that you have something in your mouth when you don't! 

Message 4 of 10 (701 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Chomper actually needs buffs cause popcap thought he was too op in gw2. He was a bit op in gw2 but mainly cause you only need an iq above 20 to get some vanquishes. Chomper is weaker cause of sprinting, so people can outrun burrow. Another reason is that grody goop is escapable when someone gets hit by it when sprinting. Basically, chomper needs a few buffs, but in bfn, they made it a good idea to make chomper actually need more strategy to function instead of going up and using an ability.
Message 5 of 10 (659 Views)

★ Pro

For the Burrow I suggest decrease in chewing time depending on health of the zombie. Chomper has many upgrades for engaging crowds but they aren't good enough.

Spikeweed should have more health at least. There is also a fun idea of activating it upon hitting the zombie with projectile.

Message 6 of 10 (624 Views)

★★ Expert

I think the main thing is fixing chomper's hit detection, so his bites actually register. Spikeweed isn't viable anymore as an ability, burrow is still to easy to dodge and hear.

Message 7 of 10 (550 Views)

★★★ Pro
@SundropDot Despite BFN Chomper's flaws, I still feel like he is the easiest plant to get kills with. The thing 2-3 shots most enemies from across the map. Goop is insane. Burrow doesn't need a hard nerf at all considering the amount of crazy zombie abilities existing in the game right now. If anything I feel like burrow should get buffed a bit. They should reduce his chew time it takes way too long. By the time you've finished swallowing someone you could have probably killed another zombie with slobber shot or goop.
Message 8 of 10 (498 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I agree with what you said. I would add that, in my opinion, they should not aalow the "suicide chomper" tactic. In this period there are lots of new players who approach the game for the first time, and they use this tactic for easy kills with chomper. Most of the time I play zombien on turf I pass a lot of time escaping from this players (I encounter 3-4 of them at the time). They are becoming very annoying

Message 9 of 10 (474 Views)

★★ Pro

@Shinobicap wrote:

Chomper is so bad -.- Burrow hit detection is still horrendous all zombies have to do is bunny hop and you can't catch them. 

What I want to know is why I can't catch anyone even though I spam fire when the red prompt appears, while other players can teleport swallow me from 2 meters away while I am in the air?

Message 10 of 10 (467 Views)