Re: Cheaters are going to ruin this game

by CaptainBlakbeard

Original Post

Champion (Retired)

@Biochemikas wrote:

How do you even judge some1 as having autoaim in a game where 100% accuracy isn't even that difficult (at least for a random kill or two - even I do that occasionally and I'm not even good). You would have to spectate that person for some extended time to see that maybe he's too consistent or the tracking is too perfect. You can tell absolutely nothing from just your own death. More likely than not that it was not a cheater. I don't get why ppl keep ruining their own mood believing they were being cheated whenever they've been outplayed (or outlucked). If you smell something fish, well report and move on. If the person is too consistent then he most definitely will collect a lot of reports and get punished, (we do need an easier report system though for sure).

I have no trouble winning 2 or even 3 games in a row with random teammates, so I really doubt there are that many cheaters in this game as some of you seem to believe. I haven't seen even one, but I'm not looking too hard and I'm not spectating them. Fact is though, winning would not be easy or even possible at all if there were actually many cheaters.

You may not be able to tell whether a player is cheating but other people can. This thread is about how cheating could ruin Apex. It's not about how to detect cheats. The premise of the thread is that there are lots of players cheating in Apex as evidenced by the tens of thousands of bans already issued.

Message 11 of 48 (680 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Celeritar wrote:

@Shigurui-7 

There are plans to put in a ranked/MMR system soon. Maybe for Season 1 launch, or soon after? That should help.  

Half the server dying in 3 minutes isn't something Respawn can help with. It's not their fault if 10 squads immediately drop straight down on top of each other.

This thread concerns cheating in Apex rather than rank systems.

Message 12 of 48 (679 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I have 2 types of battles when gear up legend:
1. NORMAL one: when i jump in with my team and we survive 1st eliminating circle, when we trying to find gear. When we are in fair fight, each enemy we meet is a tough, dealing to me a lot of dmg but my blue rare armor and full hp do a thing and i can see they both deplete in normal way, sometimes i die in gunplay, sometimes i survive the battle. What can i say, classic match.
2. SUSPICOUS one: when i jump in with my team and we manage to survive 1st circe, gear up with weapons any armor (even golden, most of time purple one). We meet enemy and when i want to fight with him, boom 1 hit and my armor is gone and i have like 10% of hp. Everything i can do is wait for 2nd bullet to hit me. I mean, tf can player almost 1 hit me? Because that 1 bullet take out my hp and purple armor. This happen in some battles, and when i check player card, the one who killed me has like 3k, 4k kills in 2 weeks. Must be super pro or something else help him. I mean, it i suspicious to me. Gearing my legend just to being killed by 1 - 2 bullets from long distance from any weapon.
Message 13 of 48 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Excessive cheating would ruin any game - that's an absolute truth not even worth discussing. But, I don't see any evidence that cheating is a problem in Apex. Using "20k banned" number as "evidence" that cheating is rampant? Are you joking? 20k out of 25 million is a drop in the ocean. If there is only 1 cheater for each 1k players, then you will not even meet one every day. And even that is assuming that the 20k were not banned and kept playing (but they WERE banned).

My personal experience doesn't match with the whiners, so I can safely dismiss the anecdotal evidence and rather rely on the fact that winning in this game is easy as an indicator that cheating is not prevalent (I mean cmon, some streamers are literally winning every single game... you think they could do it against cheaters?).

Cheaters vs anticheat is the same as hackers vs antivirus - it's a neverending struggle with no permanent solutions. So far evidence points that EAC is able to keep up in the fight. So I don't see a reason to shout in 2 million threads about how this game is littered with cheaters and maybe even wrongfully deterring potential new players (that you should be interested in having as bigger playerbase = better experience for everyone).

Message 14 of 48 (660 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Biochemikas wrote:

Excessive cheating would ruin any game - that's an absolute truth not even worth discussing. But, I don't see any evidence that cheating is a problem in Apex. Using "20k banned" number as "evidence" that cheating is rampant? Are you joking? 20k out of 25 million is a drop in the ocean. If there is only 1 cheater for each 1k players, then you will not even meet one every day. And even that is assuming that the 20k were not banned and kept playing (but they WERE banned).

My personal experience doesn't match with the whiners, so I can safely dismiss the anecdotal evidence and rather rely on the fact that winning in this game is easy as an indicator that cheating is not prevalent (I mean cmon, some streamers are literally winning every single game... you think they could do it against cheaters?).

Cheaters vs anticheat is the same as hackers vs antivirus - it's a neverending struggle with no permanent solutions. So far evidence points that EAC is able to keep up in the fight. So I don't see a reason to shout in 2 million threads about how this game is littered with cheaters and maybe even wrongfully deterring potential new players (that you should be interested in having as bigger playerbase = better experience for everyone).

Why don't you make your own thread about how there are no cheats in Apex Legends? Instead of trolling every thread about cheating why don't you make your own "there are no cheats in Apex" thread?

Message 15 of 48 (642 Views)

★ Guide

@warslag wrote:

You may not be able to tell whether a player is cheating but other people can. This thread is about how cheating could ruin Apex. It's not about how to detect cheats. The premise of the thread is that there are lots of players cheating in Apex as evidenced by the tens of thousands of bans already issued.

Under the assumption that Apex Legends has 2 Million players at peak times, banning 16k cheaters means there are a lot of cheaters? That's less than 1% of the whole playerbase?
Message 16 of 48 (636 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@VN_Noct wrote:

@warslag wrote:

Under the assumption that Apex Legends has 2 Million players at peak times, banning 16k cheaters means there are a lot of cheaters? That's less than 1% of the whole playerbase?

Which is exactly why OP made this thread. To say that cheats could ruin Apex. Duh.

Message 17 of 48 (625 Views)

★★★ Guide

Unfortunately the game is already ruined by cheaters. There are so many cheat sellers out there as well. We need an update on what is being done against cheaters as well as cheat sellers. 

Message 18 of 48 (595 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@VN_Noct wrote:

@warslag wrote:

Those are only the cheaters which have been caught and proven to be cheating. Think of it like this, even in the real world having a recording of someone committing a crime, might not even be enough to charge them with a crime. Those cheaters were stupid and would blame Clara, but there are plenty of smart cheaters that will get away with it. The only real way of solving the problem, is having a better anti-cheat program and targeting those who sell these hacks. Any game that uses a third party anti-cheat system, you can without a doubt expect hackers to be within the game.

An online competitive game is pointless if it cannot prevent hackers from appearing. That should of been the first priority since the beginning. Even if it wasn't, it should be now. As a PC player, I stopped playing. There is just way too many hackers sniping with ARs and downing my entire squad at absurd distances, instantly. I generally do the most damage in my squad and get plenty of kills, I know a hacker when I see one and it just confirms it when I spectate them.

Message 19 of 48 (593 Views)

★ Apprentice

There are hackers in every competitive PVP game, especially in FPS games. Everyone knows this and it is inevitable. The proper way to deal with it is mitigate it as much as you can and make it easier for players to pinpoint cheaters and harder for cheaters to just keep doing it. Apex needs 3 important features added to accomplish this:

1. Add a kill cam so players can see how they were killed. This is one the best ways to tell if someone is wall hacking or auto-aiming.

2. Add an IN-GAME reporting system. As of now, if you suspect someone of cheating, you have write their name down ASAP and then log into the site to report them. It's cumbersome and inefficient. Most hackers have nonsensical names that can't simply be memorized and they use these names for this exact reason. 

3. Hardware ban. Overwatch does this well. Banning the computer instead of the account. It's too easy to simply make another account when the game is F2P. The player does not loose anything other than 5 mins of their time. Account stats and trophies are not universally coveted and there is no permanent punishment for cheating. In fact, it actually helps Apex artificially boost their player count. A hacker may go through 3-5 accounts if they get banned enough. Making a single player look like several. 

Message 20 of 48 (515 Views)