Re: Caustic rework idea's

by Grandus13

Original Post

Caustic rework idea's

★★★ Newbie

As of right now, Caustic is so weak its not even funny.  As a player that enjoys traps and what not, how is it ok that not only am I able to slow and blind enemy players but also my teammates...why is this a thing?  Also why is the set-up time so long on the traps that I might as well just throw them at enemy players and laugh as it just bounces around from forehead to forehead...this is ridiculous.  I also don't understand why the traps take so long to spread out gas when triggered because I can just run straight past 1 while not playing caustic, trigger the trap and ignore it because it doesn't spread fast enough.  This hero NEEDS a massive buff to his skills!  

For instance, make his trap set-up time at least 25% faster so that when the enemy team is behind him, he can quickly throw a trap near the door.  Make traps explode with the current max range set as default explosion so that it actually works more effectively to trap people in toxic clouds.  Increase the range at which the gas trap can be triggered but keep it LoS so that it doesn't trigger through walls and give a passive buff to allies that allows them to freely run and see through their own caustics gas and alter the color a bit to differentiate between friendly and enemy gas and make his ultimate's gas cloud 50% bigger and cause twice as much dmg than his traps can do but prevent it from stacking with his traps to cause absurd amounts of DoT...its an ultimate...not a standard ability.

With these buffs i feel like this will help caustic and put him in a pretty good spot as the role he was intended for...trapping...

Message 1 of 10 (595 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I find the traps most useful when defending in a building or small compound that I know is going to be rushed. You can really saturate an area with Nox gas traps and the gas grenade. Lob in a few 'nades and it can hinder enemies quite a bit.

Message 2 of 10 (580 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Personally I reckon they should increase the dot a bit, improves the nox grenade's aoe range. Make it so his gas doesn't hinder allies (maybe render a gas mask on them when they squad with him) and decrease the size of his goddamn hitbox, he's waaaay too chunky.

Message 3 of 10 (571 Views)

Champion (Retired)

If the DoT was increased it might prevent the game flowing as quickly because players are afraid to take risks. I think I do agree about the affect on teammates. Although, as a Gibraltar main now, I don't think the hit boxes should be changed too much. Just my two pennorth.

Message 4 of 10 (565 Views)

★ Guide

He has 2 major problems IMO 

1) His gas shouldn't affect your teammates. I mean really respawn???

2) His size/hit box is too big. 

Other than that he seems to be fine. 

Message 5 of 10 (558 Views)

★★★ Novice

I offer a very different option entirely. I think the key problems with caustic are that he himself has no escape tools, and the gas traps are just too obvious. Too easy to detect.

I propose the following changes.

1st [Make the gas grenade his tactical ability], and give it sticky properties to behave like the gas traps did, same range smaller vessel, shoot to disarm. Removes the door blocking function but also makes caustic much scarier, as his main tool is now more efficient and can be thrown at distance. Also increase the initial damage so that first tick hits a little bit harder, but reduce the overall time the grenade is active.

2nd [Change his ultimate into a gas cloud that follows him], This makes sense and is more unique, giving him a one use escape tool or aggressive attack tool that really sells his close range, shotgun style, but can also protect him from sniper fire in the open. I suggest the name 'Hose Down' and propose the gas be thrown in a large wide cone in front of caustic allowing him to spray it into the air and shroud areas from overhead fire as well as aggressively chase down targets, smothering them in the gas at mid range and really selling the 'monster in the smoke' aspect.

"The scariest monsters aren't the ones under your bed, or in your closet, but the ones that you never see coming."

Message 6 of 10 (496 Views)

★★ Pro

That actually sounds really cool. ^^

Message 7 of 10 (435 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I like Grandus idea for the ultimate. Caustic is a monster in the close area but chicken duck in the open.

Give him the fire (smoke) hose will really freak people out in the open space to close him. Dare to close to me? He will run after you with a cloud of toxic smoke, he will be monster in close combat in open space. 

I like to keep his gas trap since he specializes in zone control. When the enemy sees his trap, they aware they should not cross the zone.

Message 8 of 10 (408 Views)

★★ Pro

@asukojo wrote:

I like Grandus idea for the ultimate. Caustic is a monster in the close area but chicken duck in the open.

Give him the fire (smoke) hose will really freak people out in the open space to close him. Dare to close to me? He will run after you with a cloud of toxic smoke, he will be monster in close combat in open space. 

I like to keep his gas trap since he specializes in zone control. When the enemy sees his trap, they aware they should not cross the zone.

ya, i dig a smoke hose idea, with a 10 foot reach for 5 seconds with a cool down period of 10 seconds.

Message 9 of 10 (394 Views)

★★★ Novice

At the least I'd like the gas traps to be improved in some way, They feel weak in the late game when you start finding people that know how to disarm them.*

Message 10 of 10 (321 Views)