Caustic is so bad and useless now

by Darkforest5777

Original Post

Caustic is so bad and useless now

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

i had like four traps down the elevator right next to each other, and i used the caustic alt that landed right on a team getting gassed by literally four traps, and i shot at them who landed right on the traps and the gas didn't kill them... they just sat in it pretty much that low and didn't die? just whoa! the traps do literally no damage now its ridiculous. His special is trapping and whats the point if the traps don't even do anything for damage? its not easy to get people to even go near them. Hes a really large character so he gets light up in open spaces. Meanwhile the account that flys uses his alt takes away all your health and you cant move in open spaces, literally destroying you.. with caustic you need to lure people in buildings and stuff its not nearly as easy. Also the fact you took out lifelines shield is crazy too to counter the shield you just shoot from a different direction, like you are making accounts powerful, and some useless. Imo the best season was 1,2 because the accounts all had abilities that were really good, now its just many are dulled down while others are overpowered... why not just bring it back how it was where all were very good? sorry if this is in the wrong place, move my topic if so but i didn't know where else to post it and i hope the game makers can see this... because its just horrible how things like this are affecting the game, making it unfair for others.

https://youtu.be/5O-PiyZp9AA                    just an example of how bad he is now with his traps doing no damage

Can you please bring him back? he wasn't even overpowered before considering all the factors i mentioned.

Message 1 of 36 (692 Views)

Re: Caustic is so bad and useless now

★★★★★ Expert
@Darkforest5777 You would have more success if you used your gun instead of taking out your ult and standing literally still vs a spitfire user in the open who was also under the slow effect.

Even if traps did flat 16 dmg/tick, you would still have died cuz Valkyrie was in the gas for 6 seconds.

Message 2 of 36 (652 Views)

Champion
@BaldWraithSimp Imagine 16 dmg/tick he he he.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 36 (644 Views)

Champion
@Darkforest5777 That example is not very good. You died cause rather than shooting you decided to take the time to toss your ult even tho you already had barrels going. Gas damage has never stacked so taking that time is what did it. As ugly wraith said even high damage gas would not have helped. Perhaps if the gas still blinded enemies there may have been a chance but an enemy with decent awareness would have recognized the small opening where you were and could have guess shot you.
Message 4 of 36 (627 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@hayhor As a Caustic main I share his sentiment.

It's not the deterrent it used to be.  I've engaged against people/squads who are quite happy to stand in the gas and get on with it.  There is no sense of urgency to get out of it like there used to be.  It's frustrating as that's the whole point of Caustic... to discourage people from entering a zone or engaging with you or force them to relocate/panic to even the odds (gas grenade can turn a 1 v 3 into a 1 v 1 very quickly, or at least it used to).

The traps should have consequences.  They don't anymore.  As a Caustic main with 2800 kills I can say from first hand experience I have noticed the difference.  It's discouraging.

There seems to be a move to "dumb down" the game and hamper any sort of ability/playstyle other than the shoot-shoot-shoot meta.

- DR

Message 5 of 36 (615 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

They could’ve at least increased the damage to 7 this Genesis event but they didn’t even touch him. The same goes with Wattson. They even had the audacity to make a “funny” joke in the patch notes.

Message 6 of 36 (611 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Cheese9Man Yeah, that joke was ill-advised really. They should know that the current state of legends like Wattson and Caustic are a sore point with a lot of us and poking us with a stick isn't a good idea. They didn't learn from watching that Blizzard guy on stage with his "Do you guys not have phones?" thing from a few years back.

They clearly don't know what to do with Caustic and are too scared of the minority of people who complain about anything that messes with their meta playstyle. Its at the point now where I had always thought grabbing Caustics heirloom would be a no brainer if the mythical shards ever drop for me but these days I would probably just hold on to them and wait because I have little faith that they will fix him, or that whatever changes they make would last longer than a month or two before getting nerfed again.
Message 7 of 36 (602 Views)

Champion
@RockDokRock I am a caustic main with about 500 wins so I think I actually have more experience with him than you. My experience goes back to when he could throw barrels through window slats until the current state so I've experienced it all.

Yes caustic has taken a beating both in direct and indirect nerfs. The biggest nerf is the move to all other characters having mobility while caustic is gigantic with no mobility.

My point still stands tho, the OP example video shows how people blame nerfs when it is a tactical mistake that got them killed.
Message 8 of 36 (582 Views)

Champion
@Cheese9Man The wattson buff thing was really bad. Devs shouldnt really talk to the public and that was the perfect example.
Message 9 of 36 (579 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Caustic is so bad, I don't main him anymore.  I won't touch him unless they make him reliable again.

I play mostly Bloodhound, Loba, and Bangelore these days.

Message 10 of 36 (561 Views)