Re: Caustic Trap become super bad now during gun battle outside the building

by hayhor

Original Post

[ Edited ]

@hayhorYou can’t do it in the lobbies I’m in. One of two things happen, they laser you through the gas or shoot down the traps before you can trigger them. Occasionally you might pull it off but 80-90% of the time you’ll get killed if you try and mess with traps during a fight. 

Caustic is one of the few, if not only legends who’s tactical will get you killed if you try and use it during a fight because it has 0 impact on the fight and makes you a sitting duck for long. You’re better off just shooting at the enemy. There are rare situations in comes in handy, tunnels on WE. But even there it’s risky and only effective at keeping a team back.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 21 of 54 (423 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@BigBlackCausticBut the name does matter quite alot, he was meant to lock down buildings and not open ares, and thats how he was meant to be played... that he was capable of using it that effective offensively was to much and thats why they are nerfing it more and more...throwing a trap into someones face just makes 0 sense

For me personally that character is the pure definitition of disruptive gameplay.i dont want him against me but i also dont want him in my team and i can imagine that many not causticplayers feel the same way...his gas was is and allways will be extremly annoying even when he is in your team

Message 22 of 54 (421 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@DarthValtrexI'm not dropping them in the middle of a fight. They didnt work that way before the update. I'm dropping them if I have slight cover behind a rock or something and I'll shoot them to set them off myself. I'll even ulti myself or close. In my lobbies it works. And I've watched backoffmyjankz and itempz both do it that way in much better lobbies than mine.

Message 23 of 54 (406 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@matzesingtSo are characters that disable your abilities, have free get out of jail cards or cockblocks you with a shield/dome. Just because something is annoying doesn't mean its imbalanced or doesn't serve its purpose.

Lets think like this: What are you going to do against a Wattson fortress you have to fight because of the ring when the pylon blocks all grenades, and the (easily replacable) fences are outside of LoS and leaves you tasered and open to get shot when trying to destroy them? You can't peak effectively cause Gibby covers that with his shield that gives him an health advantage.

Caustic was the only solution other than Crypto, use a trap to make an entry, prevent Wattson from replacing them and make Gibby move so he can't ADS with his shield up.

But now its much less counterable, and while Crypto counters Wattson he can't stop Gibby from using his shield and bubble or Wattson placing another pylon and fence. Not to mention whatever the third brings along.

Message 24 of 54 (405 Views)

@matzesingt Which is fine if that's what the devs want.. But he won't be a viable legend if they don't change him by either increasing the effectiveness of his powers or reducing his hit box. You can't give a legend the worst hit box to play with and the worst abilities. While giving the best abilities to some of the smallest legend in the game.

That's really the only point I'm trying to make and again, his ability to fortify a building is sort of minimal at best. I really don't get bothered by a camping caustic. The traps might slow me and my friends down a bit but we'll still eliminate them.

Message 25 of 54 (401 Views)

@hayhor Yeah but in the lobbies I'm in doing that is just instant death in most situations. 1-2 thermals or 1-2 well placed nades and you're either going to be so damaged that I don't mind jumping into the gas or you'll be running out of it to avoid the nade.. Most areas that have rocks also offer a high points that allow you to see legends inside of the gas as well. If not just strafe until you have a hit marker.

Message 26 of 54 (391 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Respectfully their use isn't to just be chucked in the middle of a fight in some open space... and if that's how you're using them it doesn't matter how quick that can be shot down, people will see it a mile of and shoot it anyway.

And despite that... it still gives advantage

- it distracts an enemy

- they have to decide whether to shoot it; which takes time away from shooting you

- ignore it, then risk getting slowed, obscured vision, taking damage

There are situations where those NOX feel way OP. Inadvoidable and just spammed.

I don't know any other ability that can cause such great effect on opponent. Especially in its strongest use.

Message 27 of 54 (362 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@1ronKeys They just need to shot with 1 bullet for such a big object, there's no distraction at all.

If they have to shoot it for 5 bullets,or have to shoot only the botttom, that's a distraction.

After patch, you can shoot anypart of trap to destroy it, so I consider that as A BUG !

+ @EA_David @EA_Kent to get the dev fix it.

Message 28 of 54 (298 Views)

Champion

Let's  be honest aswell, holding a building isn't  really the most effective way of playing apex either. 

If you're going to play caustic this way you literally need a premade team including wattson to do it effectively.

Go play as a solo with rando's and try this, I promise you it won't work.

You'll end up with an impatient wraith and some loot hungry loba whilst you're sat in your house waiting for somebody to realise you're in there and grenade you through every window.

I get that  how we play caustic isn't the intended use of him that respawn wanted. However his intended use is niche and really counterintuitive for a fast paced FPS BR.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 29 of 54 (281 Views)

★ Expert
@MandatoryIDtag you also need Pathfinder's passive cause the last thing you want is to set up inside a building only to get pushed again by the ring. My experience with Caustic is pretty much what you described, my teammates want to go out and fight even in the open which is annoying as hell.
Message 30 of 54 (257 Views)