Captial ship's turrets are dirty cheaters

by MunkieBrainsOld

Original Post

Captial ship's turrets are dirty cheaters

★★★★ Novice

I was doing some Practice Mode on a stardestroyer, and as an experiment, I decided to destroy every gun and missile turret on it, rather than trying to finish it off. I wanted to see if it was possible to make it completely stop shooting.

It turns out, you can't. I found two interesting things about the gun turrets on a stardestroyer.

First, I think that some of the turrets from the other side of the superstructure can turn around and shoot you through the superstructure. Not 100 percent certain of this, because the second thing makes it hard to test.

Second, and this one I'm sure about, is that there are "invisible" turrets which shoot lasers at you, from several different places on the hull, which cannot be destroyed and which are not visible as objects on the hull which you can locate and shoot. You can shoot every turret on the surface of the stardestroyer and it will still hit you with blaster fire.

You can get it to stop launching rockets by taking out the rocket turrets, but it will still always hit you with some amount of laser fire.

I imagine some stormtroopers opening a window and shooting at you with their blaster rifles.

Message 1 of 10 (1,327 Views)

Re: Captial ship's turrets are dirty cheaters

★★ Guide
@MunkieBrainsOld I also notice that when the in game match turns to defense, the turret fire is an auto kill, even if you have full shields and hull. Sometimes they dont even hit me.
I cant verify this, since the game doesnt have an instant replay to watch to check the kill while you wait for respawn. But Im pretty sure its so.
Message 2 of 10 (1,306 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Indeed true. But that's a different thing than what I'm talking about. Your thing is documented in-game, in the loading screen tips text blurbs IIRC, and in the in-game audio snippets you get from your fleet commander. Also they even increased this effect in the 2.0 release, and documented it in the release notes: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/update-2-0-release-notes - "Flagship turrets are now more aggressive when being attacked out of phase."

My thing in the OP is about when one is attacking a capital ship in offense mode, in-phase.

Message 3 of 10 (1,290 Views)

★★ Guide
@MunkieBrainsOld right. Ok so you know. I also noticed the strange firings from strang places and the generators dont explode. It is a thing. I tried to do exactly that before and im sure I didnt get as far as you, but did see all it and there seems also to maybe be invisible fire. So, if they give us instant replay, I can really see whats going on. I wish as a sim variant, they could had been more detailed in modeling. Like the flag ships are not quite the right sizes either i think.
Message 4 of 10 (1,276 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The aforementioned invisible turrets might have been a fix to the mosquito-ing technique of the old days. The problem about making lasers being shot out from turrets is that someone will always find a blind spot where no turret can reach (aka. mosquito-ing). Imagine if a Bomber parks in between the 2 shield generators on top the bridge. I think none of the turrets can reach it. Another place is the hangar - it's recessed and a Bomber can park there to spawn camp and also be hidden from turrets. 

So the 'lasers from nowhere' thing is to ensure that no starfighter is safe from being shot no matter where it is.

Message 5 of 10 (1,175 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Metric-SINISTER Yeah, but dead spots are "realistic" when it comes to canon. If somebody manages to park in a dead spot for the turbolasers/turrets, then they are a sitting duck and it should be easy for starfighters to take care of them.

I'd much rather see that if all the weaponry of a capital ship is destroyed, it can no longer fire on you.

Message 6 of 10 (1,155 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Cave_Waverider you see, you can't hope for 'selective' realism. Yes, dead spots are realistic and canon accurate, but how about a Starfighter's ability to stop nearly dead in its tracks like in this game? Is that canon? We don't know because we've never seen Starfighters do that in the movies. So this begs the question of whether the devs wanna make the game completely physics accurate. If so, then where are the forward thrusters to act as a break for starfighters? Where are the side thrusters to enable yaw and pitch movement in space? These are not questions that even the Star Wars canon have answered. The movies take liberties when it comes to physics.

A truely physics accurate space battle shouldn't even involve a shootout between capital ships and starfighters. They have hyperspace tech. Where the hell are hyperspace kamikaze ships? In terms of physics, you can ram a Corellian Corvette at the speed of light into the Star Destroyer's bridge and obliterate it completely. So the most cost effective way to handle a space battle is to have a fleet of Corvettes all accelerating at hyperspace into large capital ships.

The point being, its best to not get into 'realism',
Message 7 of 10 (1,136 Views)

★★ Guide
@Metric-SINISTER The ships have gravity engines(anti gravity) This is what gives them maneuvering. some are stronger than others. But they are very weak in comparison to thrusters. thrust or pulse engines and others, giving them steering advantages for high speed transports. So, if you know how thrusters work, you just lower one and engage the other and you get hard turning. then you can maneuver up and use both and get a heavy turn since you engaged both. yes, its true they should not be able to stop like they do, not without overpowering the engines for over powered maneuvering brakes. as you should move forward with thusters many times faster, an emergency stop would cause you to burnout power engines or at least over heat them and need a good cooldown in theory. That said, between thrusting and braking there should be a different of three to one. all these systems would work in this very game, very easily and effectively, but they did not intend to use this factor since they had the pandoras box component of boosting. but thats besides the question.

There is always and achilles heel(not a weakness, but vulnerable spot). This is also beyond the question, cause this can be ,,game accurate,, and only needs to follow the principles of the lore. A missile can do an easy job of assuring that this weakness is in check. just like the tractor beam is used as a weapon rather than a hauling device. So instead of having laser canons fire through ships, just have rockets fire. Solved, no? not too difficult. If they cant then survive as a flag ship, its either too weak of an adjustment or they are just need to fight harder to protect it.
Also the lasers can be a bit more stronger on all sides, but besides that with that said, the republic flag ship can be more heavy on missiles. I mean those huge antenna are good for something, if not for anything else, would make really, really good targeting sensors.
Message 8 of 10 (1,049 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@ghostmonk000Also hyper space ramming is really not a thing of normal none hyperspace tracking vessels. You would need to be in hyperspace and normal space at the same time, and not even that is given unless you knew how to trick the hyperspace tracer itsself, which maybe holdo did or did not? To ram something out of hyper space and be effective, is to be a bigger ship or nearly as big as the ship, maybe even an immensely stronger ship. The reason ships normally stop before jumping, because when they come out they dont want to need to evade obstacles as you come out at the same speed you go in. .

Message 9 of 10 (1,046 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@ghostmonk000I'm not even sure if the Star Wars lore has this aspect fully fleshed out, but according to Wookiepedia, Hyperspace is an alternate dimension a ship enters upon breaking the speed of light.....

Firstly, ignoring the whole cosmic speed limit thing, if your engines could accelerate and break the speed of light, then that means hyperspace is not the means of travelling at lightspeed, but merely a consequence. Your engines are responsible for the acceleration. So in theory, you could accelerate to 99.99% of lightspeed and not enter hyperspace, but still enjoy the benefit of travelling almost at lightspeed.

So if this lore is to be believed, you can accelerate a Corvette to 99.99% of lightspeed into a Star Destroyer bridge. It's practically guaranteed that the Star Destroyer won't have the structural integrity to withstand lightspeed momentum. And no, you don't need to have nearly equal mass to induce momentum damage. That's exactly how bullets work. How does a bullet weighing 1000 times lighter than our body kill us? Speed and momentum compensates for that.

Message 10 of 10 (894 Views)