Captain Cannon needs to be nerfed

by Lolls44

Original Post

Re: Captain Cannon needs to be nerfed

★★★★★ Guide

Now what i want to address is this perceived damage output of direct hits.

Given the fact that his projectile speed is so low compared to other long range classes, its actually not a problem. I just imagine a long range shootout between a Cpt Cannon and a Camo Cactus. In the best scenario he will run for his life. In the worst he gets rekt. But i see no outcome i which his slow direct hits would outclass the Camo. So the question could very well be: "is Camo Cactus OP?"

I think this is a great example of the games general asymmetrical design. Where depending on which class you play against specific other classes, you may encounter heavy difficulty spikes.

Now at close range i can imagine that the delay between each slow projectile offers a much higher DPS with direct hits. But hitting a target with basically a chainsaw that has a scope doesn't seem very feasible either.

From my experience i can tell that timing each shot up close is extremely confusing. Simply because i can never be sure when to hit fire, as i may have missed and need detonation or have to fire again with my next projectile. If i press too early i may screw up a direct hit. If i press too late it may just end up as wasted time. Same goes for long range. Hitting a target once i manage to pull off. But then it moves and my slow projectiles miss. And by the time i realized it missed it is too late to detonate it. Direct hits just don't seem as something to focus on for me, with slow projectiles against moving targets.

So having all that said i came to the conclusion that he is only effective at medium range. Best at choke points as i have experienced in Gnome Bomb matches. But i have never seen a long range Cpt Cannon.

Message 11 of 16 (708 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

In that I give you all the reason. The problem here is not its manual detonation, because it is something difficult to master and, as you say, it is only effective in the medium range. The problem lies in his direct shots:

Petrified Cactus:
manual detonation- 32
43 - direct damage
49 - head injury

Electric pea:
manual detonation- 27
36 - direct damage

Capitan canyon:
manual detonation- 32
43 - direct damage
49 - head injury

As you can see, the direct damages are very big, more than any other variant of these characters. If anything GW2 administrators have realized is that a character can not be good at everything. And that's the detail with these variants, or you're good with manual detonation or with critical hits, not both.

And again, these characters are the ones I use the most (precisely because of this damage) and I daresay they are my favorites, but I agree with the community that they are OP.

Message 12 of 16 (697 Views)

★★ Guide

I got killed ten times at the hands of a captain cannon. he was rank 2 too!

Message 13 of 16 (555 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@HailBifrostGlow wrote:

I got killed ten times at the hands of a captain cannon. he was rank 2 too!

I have PSN friends that will WRECK most anyone at any range with Captain Cannon.  If anyone says detos are ineffective at a certain range, you can bet they haven't been in competitive servers.  I cannot stand to use these characters due to how over-powered they are but I do use them when teams stack... anyone who thinks they're not effective long/medium range, I'm happy to show you their capabilities.

Message 14 of 16 (548 Views)

★★★ Guide

I too have Captain Cannon friends and they dominate from any distance. If you have the skill with him you will dominate.

Message 15 of 16 (539 Views)

All of the deto characters are disgusting, and I'm hoping they have enough common sense to not include them in whatever the next game will be.

Message 16 of 16 (526 Views)