Captain Cannon needs to be nerfed

by Lolls44

Original Post

Captain Cannon needs to be nerfed

★★ Novice

Hello,

I really think that Captain Cannon still needs major nerfing. Captain Cannon at the moment is ridiculously overpowered. A less than average player can become god like when using Captain Cannon. You see it time and time again in lobbies, a player dominates when playing on the zombies side as Captain Cannon and gets average kills on the plants side. The detonation range is too large and the detonation damage is too great for Captain Cannon. One Captain Cannon in a team can suppress an entire garden or graveyard (depending on whether the zombies are capturing or defending) from a very far distance. There is basically no counter to Captain Cannon, they are overpowered at long range as they can quickly kill plants that are metres behind cover and they can barrel at close range if the enemy manages to get close. Not all, but the majority of players that use Captain Cannon are campers that stay on the edge of their spawn (if they get shot once or twice they can barrel and retreat into their spawn). It is also difficult for 3-4 skilled plant players that are co-ordinated in a chat party to take out one Captain Cannon. I think the game would be much more skill based if Captain Cannon was nerfed to a reasonable and fair level.

Message 1 of 16 (1,484 Views)

Re: Captain Cannon needs to be nerfed

★★★★★ Apprentice

Totally agree!

Captain cannon in the wrong hands is a monster and can ruin a good game.

Nerf please!!

Message 2 of 16 (1,430 Views)

★★★ Guide

Every detonation character can be OP in the right hands imo, but yes Captain Cannon is insanely strong especially in Turf Takeover. I find that the fire cactus is a good counter.

Message 3 of 16 (1,418 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, I agree with the Petrified Cactus and Electro Pea still being overpowered. But at least they are only really effective in close range encounters (mid range too if the player is skilled) due to their slow fire rate, and can be disabled by the Engineer's stun, the Imp's Gravity Grenade, a ZPG from a Soldier etc. Captain Cannon however is a whole new level of OP.

Message 4 of 16 (1,411 Views)

★★★★ Guide

The detonation-type characters in GW2 have always been a very trivial type. They are best skilled in their mid-air detonation abilities, often doing counteractive damage to the enemies at the enemy base. But even with the nerfs they received in GW2's lifespan so far, no matter how much nerfing they receive, no matter how trivial, nothing can replace the supreme capabilties of the mid-air detonation ability that Electro Pea, Petrified Cactus and Captain Cannon are best at.

Message 5 of 16 (1,405 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

His biggest weakness is his projectile speed. So i have never seen anyone camp with him at a far distance. One hit ever few seconds seems very ineffective.

Do you have footage for analysis? As team composition and skill could have had a much larger impact on that.

Message 6 of 16 (1,382 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The problem is that it is contradictory that his direct shot causes more damage than his manual dispersion shot. That is, if your ability is manual detonation, then your critical damage should be less than this. So, everything will revolve around how skillful you are to manually detonate the shots and not feel a bonus of damage when you shoot directly at an enemy.

To be honest, those are my favorite characters because they are the ones that can do the most damage once you have mastered these characters, but I admit that if they are something broken.

Message 7 of 16 (1,353 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Here’s the problem deto characters IMO.  The majority of players can’t get the timing down or understand them.  The players that understand them and put the time in can be a nightmare.  I love the idea and design of all of them.  If the idea is for this to be a casual shooter and not competitive, then they shouldn’t be in the game at all.  There is no reworking this style character to be balanced in a game like this.  

Message 8 of 16 (1,340 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dwooten77 wrote:

Here’s the problem deto characters IMO.  The majority of players can’t get the timing down or understand them.  The players that understand them and put the time in can be a nightmare.  I love the idea and design of all of them.  If the idea is for this to be a casual shooter and not competitive, then they shouldn’t be in the game at all.  There is no reworking this style character to be balanced in a game like this.  

Yeah, IMO that is the problem.  Detonation characters aren't really a good fit for this game as it exists.  They have gotten Petrified and (to a lesser extent) electro pea into a semi-workable place in the last year.  When I leveled those characters up, you could do OK with them by simply spamming your detonations at close range.  But Cannon remains a problem.

Message 9 of 16 (1,324 Views)

★★★ Guide

Dropping me change here. Detonation characters here are very easy to pick up late game versus initial learning curve; i.e. after you reach advanced c-rank.  My issue with detonation similar to orochi_snk, there is no incentive/risk for aiming directly.  When I can vanquish a imp at medium range with a petrified caucus without really moving my cursor or remove a sunflower completely free with captain cannon, then the issue occurs whether I actually feel like I worked to earn that vanquish.  An example is provided below.

Referring to Tf2, there is a weapon called loose cannon where it is a detonation type (shots are always charged), but the initial damage of its shot (cannonball itself) is minimal with an secondary damaging explosion (ball exploding) and provides okay knock back to the enemy.  However, if the shot and the explosion are triggered within a short time frame, additional damage will be dealt and gives the weapon not only a satisfactory feeling upon use, but it also eliminates players from spamming un-aimed consecutive shots.

Message 10 of 16 (1,296 Views)