Capital / Flagship Scale too small?

by SuperSmash88

Original Post

Capital / Flagship Scale too small?

★ Guide

Are the capital ships and flagships to proper scale? When standing inside the Imperial hangar and seeing the size of the TIE fighters, versus the tiny hangar window you have to fly into to respawn your ship... it seems like the scale of the flagships is incorrect on the outside. Probably was a design decision for one reason or another (or it's all in my head); curious if others have felt the same way.

Message 1 of 22 (1,494 Views)

Re: Capital / Flagship Scale too small?

★ Apprentice

I was having this same thought last night. It feels like the capital ships, specifically the ISD, are about 1/4 scale. An X-Wing is 13.4m (44 ft) and an ISD is 1600m (5249 ft) so you should be able to line up 119 x-wings end to end along one.

It would be nice for the scale to be there, to see how exactly epic these capital ships are.

Message 2 of 22 (1,465 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thinking about what it was like attacking capital ships in X-Wing/TIE Fighter series back in the day, yeah, I think these may be a bit small in comparison to the memory of those old games, but they also seem a lot more difficult to bring down from what I remember.

Or maybe they just look smaller because I'm bigger these days. LOL

Message 3 of 22 (1,421 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@SuperSmash88 i notice the blockade runner is not to scale with the Star Destroyers. It would be nice if they scaled them correctly.
Message 4 of 22 (1,415 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@DarthIbis wrote:

Brilliant! Standard smile

TBH I kinda wondered about the scale myself. I agree with you guys.

Message 5 of 22 (1,409 Views)

★★ Guide

You might be right. I think there is probably a design decision behind and it would interstting to see an official answer on this one!

MercenaryHG

TAW.net

TAW Avatar - May 17.png

Message 6 of 22 (1,353 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I agree they are out of scale by a lot.

Message 7 of 22 (1,310 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I thought that too, but if you get super close and take your time the SD is actually still super huge. You can fly inside the sides like it's a trench.

Message 8 of 22 (1,279 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@DarthIbis wrote:

Thinking about what it was like attacking capital ships in X-Wing/TIE Fighter series back in the day, yeah, I think these may be a bit small in comparison to the memory of those old games, but they also seem a lot more difficult to bring down from what I remember.

The fighters in this game are about 30% faster than in the old games. That means, if you don't have anything else to judge the scales by, the sizes will appear to have shrunk by 30%.

If you boost, then they're about 2x faster than before.

Message 9 of 22 (1,266 Views)

★ Guide

Glad I'm not insane Large smile

@EA Any chance you could shed light on the design decision? Not reporting this as a bug or anything as it clearly was deliberate; just curious why the call was made to shrink them on the outside. Standard smile

Message 10 of 22 (1,245 Views)