Cannot change game directory = can't play game

by Ameli1-cz

Original Post

Cannot change game directory = can't play game

★★ Novice

Hi, I have two copies of Battlefield 4 on my computer, one copy is normal edition with all DLCs and other is premium edition.

Problem is I cannot launch my first copy located on C: cause EA Launcher says the game in on other SSD S:, when I go to change location I find the game on C:, click on the exe and I get error that I should log into different account, but I am on the right account. 

Message 1 of 6 (574 Views)

Re: Cannot change game directory = can't play game

Community Manager

Hi @Ameli1-cz To confirm do you play BF4 through a subscription-like Game pass? 

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 6 (399 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Illium I can confirm this issue with Steam too. I recently purchased a new NVME SSD and relocated SW Jedi FAllen Order to it (from Steam) and it didn't start unless I changed the game back to EA app drive location.

Message 3 of 6 (382 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Illium Hi, no, first I bought the first copy of the game through origin (standard edition) and got the dlcs separately when they were for free and the second copy was bought through steam (premium edition).

Issue is that I already had the first copy installed on disk C:, then the premium edition wanted to install itself too, and since I didn't have enough space on C: i installed it on new ssd, S:.

Now that I was forced to use EA app instead of origin, when I wanted to access my older account I switched accounts, but it wouldn't let me launch the game, as the directory got overwritten to S: and I am unable to change the directory inside the EA app as it's clearly not working.

Thanks for the reply. 

Message 4 of 6 (331 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Ameli1-cz To confirm is it possible to test, by uninstalling both versions, then installing them on the same drive to see if this continues? 

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 6 (299 Views)

★★ Novice

I was rather forced to do so. I installed origin from old download file and had to download game again, thus now having 3 copies of Battlefield 4 on same PC, while two of them being standard edition with all dlcs bought separately and one being premium edition. 

(I have two accounts but 3 copies installed)

One standard edition on SSD C: 

One standard edition on SSD S:

One premium edition on SSD S:

I was FORCED once again to migrate my perfectly working game from Origin to EA app. Then I tried switching accounts from the account with standard edition located on S: to the account with premium edition also located on S: and I couldn't launch my game through Battlelog, though I was able to launch game through steam and ingame menu rather than web browser.

Anyway since the account with premium edition is younger and I don't have all my stuff on it I tried to switch back to my main account, which is currently the standard edition located on S: and I am not able to play on it again. The VERY SAME problem I had in the beginning of this thread, but now both copies that should work independently are on the same SSD - the S:. 

So yeah, the problem is, you can't switch game locations in EA app, cause that is probably legacy feature.

And the solution is, I am going to uninstall all three copies and install back only the standard one with my main account that I need. Hopefully not losing my ingame settings.

Sorry for being salty, but I think it is justified.  

Message 6 of 6 (180 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help