Can you share your game library like in Steam on Origin?

by TatianaLopes392

Original Post

Re: Can you share your game library like in Steam on Origin?

★★★ Newbie

How do you use the gift feature? I am not finding it in menus.

Message 41 of 114 (5,861 Views)

EA DICE Team

@cromsanguine

You can gift a game by via the Origin store, instead of selecting the Buy button, there should also be a Gift option:

Capture.PNG

Message 42 of 114 (5,851 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay but you still have to pay for another game right? why offer a "gifting" option if you still have to re-buy the game? I own sims 3 and a bunch of expansion packs and I have to wait until my sister isn't playing just to play.. I used to be able to play the sims just not on the same expansion pack that she was using the disk to, before they decided you have to have origin. My best solution for that is maybe you can create a new account and just buy the disks from the store and play them that way?

Message 43 of 114 (5,836 Views)

EA DICE Team

@foxylove2_5

Gifting allows you to purchase the game for a friend, but it doesn't allow you to gift a game that you already own in your library. So yes, you would still have to purchase another game.

What I understand from your request is that you're looking for something like a Family Sharing function, where you can share your game library with someone else that uses that computer. However, that still wouldn't allow you to play the game at the same time.

If you really want to play the game at the same time then at the moment you will both have to own the game on your own account. 

Message 44 of 114 (5,818 Views)

★ Apprentice

On the purchase button is a drop down menu. Right click and a drop down menu will appear. You will see buy for self or buy as gift. Hope this helps.

Message 45 of 114 (5,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

[admin edit: I appreciate you trying to help, but your message was against our rules & guidelines.]

Message 46 of 114 (5,787 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Pretty messed up that we can't share purchases with friends.  I bought ME: Andromeda (on another account) but haven't gotten around to playing it.  I have a friend -- also a huge ME fan -- who is literally days away from giving birth and needs something to pass the time (being 10 months pregnant *sucks*). She bought a hard copy version of the game that hasn't arrived.  

If I had bought the game through Steam I could lend it to her.  Since I didn't, she's SOL.

This is definitely going to factor into any future purchases I make from Origin.

Message 47 of 114 (5,660 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Ouch. I've just signed up to Origin and this was the very first thing I looked for.

Guess I'll stick to Steam. Bye

Message 48 of 114 (5,503 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi

i have the same problem when i was 12 i bought need for speed most wanted but because i was to young to make a EA

account i was never able to play online with friends i am now 14 and playing the game more often but it is really anoying

that i cant make another account share my nfs most wanted and play with friends online i really hope

that EA will just add something in to share a game or maybe even give old games to a other

account as a gift

Message 49 of 114 (5,412 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87

How do we get this escalated beyond the community team?  Is there someone with actual power who can be contacted by email or letter?  

Several (but by no means all) game publishers have this problem and it feels like it never gets beyond the community managers.  Currently buying a PC game is much more restrictive than buying a console game and it costs the same amount of money.  If I buy a PC game in a household of four gamers only one person can use it unless it is on Steam (so no EA or Ubisoft).  That same game bought on a console can be used by anyone in the family and even on multiple consoles in a household.  This makes zero sense that the PC version is some much more restricted.  We shouldn't have to buy 2-4 copies of your games or buy a console version with faked checkerboard 4k...

The people who are exploiting your games are going to pirate them anyhow.  All you're doing is pissing off legitimate customers. 

Message 50 of 114 (5,356 Views)