Re: Can we please get back the old ring damage?

by RevenanT-G7

Original Post

Can we please get back the old ring damage?

★★★ Newbie

I thought that the ring damage at launch was perfect. It gave enough of an incentive for players to move to the circle, without being a mechanic that could ruin a game for you. Now it seems like every time I get caught outside the ring I lose 80-90% of my health (if I survive in the first place) and makes the game as a whole, just less enjoyable because I spend less time focused on where I want to go and what I want to do in my matches, and more time focused on just getting to the next ring so that I don't just die in the first thirty seconds of not running towards a little circle on my mini-map. I am just wondering if there were serious problems with the last ring damage model? Did anyone complain to have it changed? Or was this one of the "proactive" changes to try to keep players interested (I am genuinely curious because this is my first time on this forum and I didn't ever hear any complaints about the ring damage). I just think that it was a part of the game that didn't need fixing, but the devs tried to fix anyway, and made the experience less enjoyable as a result.

Message 1 of 14 (763 Views)

★★★ Expert

I think this was requested by many players, they tested a harsher ring damage in Apex Elite, then they introduced a toned down version of that with Season 2. I also preferred the more forgiving damage, but now I have mixed feelings. There are more chances of winning even if you lose one or both teammates, as your enemies are less likely to be fully geared or teamed up.

Message 2 of 14 (746 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

I'd say the current damage model is quite right. The initial early rings damage was too mellow. The 10% first ring damage was absolutely bonkers nonsense. The current damage is just about right.

As for current model. The first ring does close to no damage and it takes no more than 6 syringes to get to the ring from the furthest possible point. Staying in outside of 2nd ring is still possible, if you're willing to sacrifice all your meds for it - which is also just about right. The late game rings damage just enough so that you are required to start planning for their movement. But their movement is slow enough so that you can always make into the next ring.

And naturally, taking fights outside of any ring is stupid and suicidal - just about how it's supposed to be (but technically it's still possible to win a fight and med up outside of 1st and 2nd rings, if you really really need to do it).

Lower damage would facilitate excessive outside of ring camping without sacrificing any meds for it - suboptimal (staying outside of 1st ring is and should be possible, but staying outside later rings should not be free or the "playzone size" would not really shrink). Higher damage(than current) would not increase the willingness to enter into the zone but just kill ppl randomly who didn't happen to find enough meds. And of course early ring damage that does damage faster than you can heal (as was the crazy 10%) is just plain nonsense. So really, current damage model seems just about right.

The one thing i DONT like is the fixed end zone locations - it gives unfair advantage to people who have played 10's of thousands of games and have memorized them all. Also, ppl who don't know the final zone are very likely to either die to the zone or be killed without any chance to retaliate because there will be a team camping in the exact final circle all the way from some 3rd circle (and they don't risk anything for it, since they know the zone is going to end there). Final zone location should be 100% random.

P.S. My general tactic, especially if I'm playing solo, is looting through all of the first zone (I generally plan to use 6-12 syringes for zone damage) and run into the circle just before or during the 2nd zone. Usually that does not achieve top10 yet - just about right.

P.P.S. It's currently a great tactic, but if more people did this, then I would generally be camping edge of the zone early and hunting them, since entering the zone this late is a massive gamble. But as long as not many people do such out-zone looting, there are no edge campers either. Just gotta play against the current metagame. The good thing about such balanced zone damage is that it allows for various tactics to be effective, but not effective enough so that everyone should be doing it - it facilitates change of tactics based on what most are doing.

If the 2nd-3rd zone damage was too low, then technically everyone should be staying outside of the zone as long as possible, edge camping would still be effective, but it would not be worth the risk to fight for those edge positions when you can stay out longer for free and take the time to find a safe entry point.

Message 3 of 14 (736 Views)

★★★★ Pro

There was too much ring camping and the ring was hardly doing any damge, this is why the damage was increased to prevent ring camping.

It fine the way it is stop trying to battle / third party late and get to the next section before the ring gobbles you up. Rings 3 is when the damage starts to hit hard which it should there is no excuse to be dieing from the ring at this point with only 6-10 teams left. 

Seems like people that are complaining are the ring campers. It's time to find a better strategy because no one should be shot in the back while exiting a ring during late game.

Message 4 of 14 (719 Views)

★ Guide
I want the elite ring back, that was awesome. :D
Message 5 of 14 (697 Views)

★★ Pro
@RevenanT-G7 6-10 teams left at ring 3. Someone doesn't play ranked :P
Message 6 of 14 (687 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@B00st_Da_M00se wrote:

I thought that the ring damage at launch was perfect. It gave enough of an incentive for players to move to the circle, without being a mechanic that could ruin a game for you. Now it seems like every time I get caught outside the ring I lose 80-90% of my health (if I survive in the first place) and makes the game as a whole, just less enjoyable because I spend less time focused on where I want to go and what I want to do in my matches, and more time focused on just getting to the next ring so that I don't just die in the first thirty seconds of not running towards a little circle on my mini-map. I am just wondering if there were serious problems with the last ring damage model? Did anyone complain to have it changed? Or was this one of the "proactive" changes to try to keep players interested (I am genuinely curious because this is my first time on this forum and I didn't ever hear any complaints about the ring damage). I just think that it was a part of the game that didn't need fixing, but the devs tried to fix anyway, and made the experience less enjoyable as a result.

@Anlbrd wrote:
@RevenanT-G76-10 teams left at ring 3. Someone doesn't play ranked :P

What does me playing rank mode have to do with anything?

It's doesn't make my post invalid, because as it sit's now that is what the ring damage is.

Also Op never said anything about ranked ?

Message 7 of 14 (673 Views)

★★ Pro
@RevenanT-G7 It was more a joke about the state of ranked games where you get into the last ring and there's 12 teams left all rubbing elbows Standard smile Wasn't having a dig at you mate.
Message 8 of 14 (656 Views)

★★ Novice

Dmg ss.2 so hard i think you can increase dmg from ss.1 it's good ,but this too much.  can't fight outside if you win you die zone. boring

Message 9 of 14 (625 Views)

★★ Guide

@RevenanT-G7 wrote:

@B00st_Da_M00se wrote:

@Anlbrd wrote:
@RevenanT-G76-10 teams left at ring 3. Someone doesn't play ranked :P

What does me playing rank mode have to do with anything?

It's doesn't make my post invalid, because as it sit's now that is what the ring damage is.

Also Op never said anything about ranked ?

Wasn't the ring damage ONLY buffed for ranked though? So why would he complain about ring damage if it WASN'T ranked? Pretty sure the casual matches still have the old ring damage formula. At least that's what the patch notes said.

Message 10 of 14 (573 Views)