Re: Can't wait KC's removed from ranked

by hayhor

Original Post

★★★ Expert
@hayhor I hate to ask questions that expose my ignorance, of the game or of basic human behavior, but I still have to ask: What is the difference between ranked and pubs that makes any given map okay for one but not for the other? Do people in ranked play the game differently? If so then how do they play differently? And be aware that once you tell me the "how" of it then I'm pretty much gonna start in with the "why."
Message 11 of 17 (229 Views)

Champion
@reconzero Ask away anytime and I'll try to answer from my experience. Pubs for me and a lot of people is just for fun and for fighting practice. Ranked is more serious. There are points to play for. As you move higher up the rank, people drop contested less and less.

Now you could say it's weird to have to playstyles because the point is to win but in apex it isn't that hard to win games. Personally I play for fun. I have something like 1100+ wins now. Winning doing very little doesn't really do anything for me and isn't fun. And I don't look down on anyone that has fun the other way. I personally prefer a balance.

Now let's look at the maps-

KC- smallest map, easiest to find people and fight. Players seem to spread more on this map in pubs since skull town was removed.

Worlds Edge- 2nd largest map. Pubs is ruined by fragment hot droppers leaving 5 teams left in round 1. Ranked at higher levels has less of this. I hate this map for pubs.

Olympus- Depending on where the ship starts this map can be balanced for pubs. Certain points like the boxing ring hurt it. Ranked is fun on it. Really wish they'd try pros on it again.

Stormpoint- The largest map and it has the fragment issue at multiple locations in pubs. People drop in 3 locations based on the ship start leaving no one left. I almost never play it now I find it to be so boring, unless I'm in the mood to hot drop.
Message 12 of 17 (220 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@reconzero There's no difference between pubs and ranked from bronze to Gold. The game shifts to this different playstyle once you reach Plat III+ which makes the game feel way different. It's super fun until I reach diamond where I can't progress any longer (hardstuck diamond IV player LOL). You said that you like snipers in another thread, you'll also begin to notice more players using long ranged weapons in the higher ranks. People are more careful when engaging another squad too hence longer ranged weapons.
Message 13 of 17 (199 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Cro_Pittt The loot in Olympus is amazing. Most of the time you're ready to fight after looting just 1 POI compared to KC where there's only 3 blue shields in the whole map. When KC was gone, I missed it being in rotation but please keep it away from ranked.
Message 14 of 17 (195 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@reconzeroThere is no real difference. All maps are fine. Pubs are sweaty and the only objective there is winning, ranked is played (in theory) with people of your rank against people of your rank. In ranked winning isn't everything as you can progress by kill points too, making ranked ideal for hot-jumping. Funny thing is people play it reversely, thus effectively ruining pubs.

Oh, the only real difference is of course that in pubs you can leave at any time, which comes in handy when jm hot-jumps or teammates don't help with anything,etc..

Message 15 of 17 (174 Views)

★★★ Expert
@CCbathwater Thank you Hayhor, Cheese, and CC.

So wait just a short minute here. You're telling me that in ranked you can progress by getting a few hot drop kills and then losing in 16th place??? What kind of idiot dreamt up that scheme? Screw up and move up... there used to be a name for that.

At any rate, would anyone care to chime in with reasons why this is considered superior to a straight win-loss ranking system? I'm sure there must be some or they wouldn't do it this way...
Message 16 of 17 (146 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@reconzeroNo one that really understands BRs thinks it's a good points system. The buy in goes up and it's harder to get positive points just for a few kills once you get to platinum. The points last season was a lot worse as it rewarded 8th place finishes with max kp. Luckily the pros complained and they changed it.

I don't get why the algs style points system isn't used in ranked. Respawn must have a reason for this. Maybe they fear the hot droppers won't play because they want a fast paced game. 🤷‍♂️

Message 17 of 17 (138 Views)